Splitting one LNB for both Sky and Freesat (used one at a time)

whitedot

Standard Member
I have standard Sky SD running from single LNB from a communal dish, so no rewiring is possible. What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to split the feed from the dish so that I could choose whether to watch Freesat or Sky - with only one box turned on at once.

From doing a little searching it appears that this is possible. A box requires full use of the feed to receive all channels, but with only one turned on it should be able to do this.

Apparently I can get an LNB switch that will give whichever box is active full use of the feed. So say I decide to turn Sky off and want to watch BBCHD on Freesat, upon turning Sky off and Freesat on, the switch will swap LNB access to the Freesat box.

My questions are therefore:

1. Are the above assumptions 100% correct?
2. Are LNB switches widely available?
3. What cabling would I need in addition to the LNB switch? Just two more coax leads (one from the switch to each box)?

I get the feeling others may wish to replicate this setup, so many thanks in advance. :)

mediamogul

Yes you can do this exactly the way you say,i bought a switch from a satellite shop it works fine.That was quite a few years ago, things have come on along way since then though. An octo lnb can be had for £20 on ebay 8 inputs future proof.A reel of decent cable can be had for under £20 a pack of 10 F connectors
is as cheap as £2.50 on ebay.You could put receivers all over the house for under £50. Just noticed you have a communal dish,cant you hide a sky dish somewhere ?

whitedot

Standard Member
It's a rented ground floor flat, so all rewiring work is out of the question.

We only use one television too, so there's no need for more than one receiver or anything.

Thanks for confirming my proposal will work, anyway.

SamRadford

Novice Member
An LNB switch can be used but they are rare as hens' teeth nowadays. The "Sadoun" switch was mentioned over on the digitalspy forums. It's from America. But be aware that a switch will lose more than 50% of the signal (more than 3dB) so it could cause problems in bad weather or if you live outside the main reception area or simply have a dish that's only just big enough.

Ben

An LNB switch can be used but they are rare as hens' teeth nowadays. The "Sadoun" switch was mentioned over on the digitalspy forums. It's from America. But be aware that a switch will lose more than 50% of the signal (more than 3dB) so it could cause problems in bad weather or if you live outside the main reception area or simply have a dish that's only just big enough.
Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but hopefully it's relative to OP's query. Would this or these switches do the job?

Also, why such a big (50%) loss? (I'd have thought that would've occurred if you were splitting a signal, rather than switching it). Finally, do these switches auto-switch, i.e. it switches when you turn on one receiver whilst the other is already on. Or do you have to turn one off first before powering-up the other?

sainthunter

Standard Member
As Freesat boxes have LNB in/LNB out as part of the connectivity features then surely this is a preferable way to connect to only one satelite feed? No loss of signal and, as you only want to view one source at a time, then there is no need for switching devices. A short ready made connecting lead with 'F' connectors is available off the shelf from various stores. Connect the satelite feed to the Freesat LNB input connector and then jump the LNB output from the Freesat box to the Sky box. Obviously you can only watch one box at a time!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

whitedot

Standard Member
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the Humax box and it's a pity it doesn't have that connectivity. Is the Alba box any good?

On the switches, I found this from another thread in here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1b.htm#sps1

£10 isn't bad, but the 'Minimum loss 4dB' puts me off if what you were saying about signal loss is true. The dish is larger than the usual Sky minidish, but I only get about 60% signal strength (about 80-90% quality). Will it be okay?

Hi-Def

Novice Member
£10 isn't bad, but the 'Minimum loss 4dB' puts me off if what you were saying about signal loss is true. The dish is larger than the usual Sky minidish, but I only get about 60% signal strength (about 80-90% quality). Will it be okay?
im looking down that page and theres this

GLO32 Global TVRO20F 20dB flat gain LNB amp to compensate for the loss when a splitter is used. Requires 9v - 18v DC supply voltage fed via the cable. UHF and LNB.

would this help you?

Ashketchup

Why switch? You'll lose alot of quality. Just have both (or more) running at the same time through a Quad or Octo LNB dish attatchment. No loss in quality at all that way!

Why switch? You'll lose alot of quality. Just have both (or more) running at the same time through a Quad or Octo LNB dish attatchment. No loss in quality at all that way!
Try actually reading his posts - he has a communal dish and only one feed to his ground floor flat.

dwhite

Can I ask the OP why he wants to do this? Won't his sky box already pick up all the freesat channels. apart from HD. Which I understand is BBCHD for four hours a night and ITVHD with a probably very limited selection of HD programming. Seems a lot of trouble for two channels.

Barthez

Well i would assume he just wants to be able to watch a HD picture on his HD tv.

Fair play to him.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom