Splitting my Sky Signal to 4 rooms (poss over cat6)

philbaldwin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just planning out a full house build.

Will have a TV with Sky in the LivingRoom, then was planning to have a second box with some form of distrubution to between 2 & 4 rooms. Distances will be at least 8-10m, with one distance potentially around 20m.

What would be the best option to split and distrubute the second box? As I'd thought the box in the Lounge would be better left on it's own? As I'd rather have the Kitchen and Bedroom able to have a different channel to the Lounge.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!

If between rooms then definitely look at HDMi over Cat6, and for reliability i would only consider the HDBaseT single Cat6 standard.

A 4 way HDBaseT Splitter would achieve your goal perfectly

This would consist of a main unit that accepts the HDMI input from your 2nd sky box it then splits this 4 ways over Cat6 cable to 4 receivers at the tv locations which converts the signal back to HDMI.

This also has the advantage that it carries the IR signal back from the TV locations so you can control the SKy box from the remote locations.

HDBaseT 4 Way HDMI Splitter Over SIngle Cat5 6

hdbaset-4-way-hdmi-splitter-over-single-cat5-6-[2]-2139-p[ekm]340x186[ekm].jpg

Thanks for that, looks ideal.
Do you know if there's is a smaller unit that could potentially just split into two. But still both over cat6?
I'm guessing you could do a 2way HDMI splitter and then two individual HDMI extenders?
Cheers

Sorry we only have a 4 way but yes you could use a splitter and 2 extenders, though not as neat obviously.

‘Just planning out a full_house build.’ - I'd ensure your wired infrastructure allowed for maximum flexibility unless you have your long term requirements pinned down 100%!

' As I'd thought the box in the Lounge would be better left on its own?' - that's going to depend on how you use the system, will you always want to go to the Lounge to view a recording on Box A vs. be able to view (and control) any Box in any Room utilising a multi-Source/multi-Zone Matrix?

Joe

Yeh I did consider a matrix, but the kitchen/bedroom will nearly always be used on a different channel to the lounge. So guessed two boxes would be more suited?

Also planning on running a spare cat6 to every TV point, just in case I want to centralise the AV with a matrix or a single Sky Box in the future. Doing no harm leaving a spare run to every TV?!

'Yeh I did consider a matrix, but the kitchen/bedroom will nearly always be used on a different channel to the lounge. So guessed two boxes would be more suited?' - it tends to come down to how many folk are using the system, who controls the remote in the Lounge :) and how important 'place shifting' your recordings becomes.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom