1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting image to 2 projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lizaki, Jun 20, 2005.

1. lizaki

lizaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i am new to this
    could anyone please explain in simple terms how can i use 2 projectors to send the same image in order to double the projection size? i guess they call it Splitting image to 2 projectors and somehow you send half of image to one projector and the other half to the other projector and need to have them next to each other.

i have read the previous thread but it still doesnt make sense to me at all as how do i arrange this splitting of image and rearranging it where to send it

also does it have to be a CRT projector or any LCD,DLP would do?

cheers
    lizaki

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
  3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    lizaki, if your ultimate aim is to get a bigger brighter picture then there are two common ways to do it. The first is a double stack of projectors. This is the same image displayed on both projectors, one image overlayed on top of the other - the result is double the brightness on screen. Splitting the image requires nothing more complicated than a VGA distribution amp. One signal goes in, two identical signals come out. The projectors are aligned so that the images overlap as perfectly as possible. It's tricky, time consuming, reasonably pricey but definately doable.

The second and far less complicated option is simply to get a brighter projector. :rolleyes:

What MadMrH appears to to be doing is getting a brighter and higher resolution image by running two projectors side by side. This is an altogether more complicated and far more expensive arrangement.

To make this work requires the original image to be split in to two parts (left and right) then overlapped by around 20% and faded so that they blend into each other. Not impossible, but as you can see from the prices MMH found, not cheap either. Don't forget to add the cost of technical crew to set up and maintain all this gear too. :)

Regards

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm.... So chris... could you effectively line double in this situation? I guess you'd have to converge so that one Pjs lines were perfectly inbetween the others... is that possible?

Obviously it would be duplicated lines as opposed to interpolated, but would it work?

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Lex, I think I know where you're coming from with this; a double stack of 350s perhaps?, but it's not really the right way to do it.

Line Repeat has been used as a cheap alternative to a proper de-interlacer but the picture just ends up looking soft. If you're going to try a double-stack then the scan lines should overlay one-on-top-of-the-other for the best results.

Regards

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you know if I find myself with a rainy afternoon!

Would there be anything that could generate interpolated lines for the second projector?

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    That's an awfully complicated route to get a line doubled picture.

It would be more practical to sell the two 350s to local pubs and buy a Seleco 400/420/450 / Barco 6x/7x / NEC / Sony or any manner of line doubled capable CRT instead. Have a look at the classifieds. There have been some real bargains come up lately. :)

Regards

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris... I've got a monster on a timber stand in my living room - I don't do practical! :D

Seriously though. I am definately considering that route!

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hey!! In the CRT world 350s are considered small and cute. :D

Just wait till you get an eye full of a Barco 1209 or some other 9" tube pj. Then you can say you've got a monster ;)

Regards