• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Splitting HDMI out?

big john 1983

Established Member
Hi guys,

Just wondered if i could split the HDMI signal using something like the Octava 4x4 switch coming out from an amp, Sky HD, HTPC & PS3 into Projector & TV in living room, upstairs TV and TV in dining room and control all sources upstairs and downstairs using 2/3 Harmony 1000s?

Is this possible?

Or is there a better way anyone can think of doing this setup?

latipper

Established Member
Hello,

I split the signal from my AV receiver into two, so that it sends to my TV and my projector. Works fine.

I use a cheap £30 1in/2out HDMI splitter.

Badger Mushroom

Established Member
Hi guys,

Just wondered if i could split the HDMI signal using something like the Octava 4x4 switch coming out from an amp, Sky HD, HTPC & PS3 into Projector & TV in living room, upstairs TV and TV in dining room and control all sources upstairs and downstairs using 2/3 Harmony 1000s?

Is this possible?

Or is there a better way anyone can think of doing this setup?

Are you wanting to watch a different source on the different TV's (ie Sky in living room, PS3 on upstairs TV, and HTPC in dining room)? This should work, but you'll have some really long HDMI cables.

big john 1983

Established Member
Ideally I would like the option of being able to watch different sources and have full control over them, but I wondered if instead of using long HDMI cables, I could use CAT5e (would this be cheaper? - Not bothered about full 1080p)

Also what would be the best way to control the equipment from the living room in for example the bedroom?

Many thanks,

John

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I will move this to the HDMI cables and switches forum, as its not really to do with your AV receiver.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello big john 1983

Using the Octava HDMX44-UK (4x4 Matrix) will allow you to view/listen to any combination of Sources on your four displays.

You can use the Octava HDMICAT Ethernet extenders on any of the Outputs of the 4x4 and still achieve 1080p.

I'd suggest you place the Matrix ahead of the AV Amp as otherwise 01. the AV Amp would need to be permanently powered on and 02 you would limit what you can see where.

Audio signal management is also a consideration - whilst you may want Bitstream or LPCM Multi-channel into the AV Amp via HDMI your TV's will only cater for 2.0 LPCM over HDMI.

Talk your options through with any Octava dealer.

Joe

mark raeburn

Established Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am having a few problems - I have a joytech trilink connected to my htpc (via dvi to hdmi connector attached to hdmi lead), sky hd, and hd-dvd. All has worked fine. I recently got a projector and was tired of unplugging the hdmi output cable to toggle between plasma and projector - so i bought a JS hdmi splitter and attached it to the output of the trilink. Sky hd, and hd-dvd work fine, but the htpc does not (even though there shouldn't be any hdcp issues as all I'm doing is flicking between mediaportal and not for example trying to watch a blu ray). It just won't handshake unless I pull the hdmi out of the htpc and reconnect or if I change the input on the trilink to something else then go back to the htpc input. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
PC's can be tricky - especially when you start to cascade HDMI devices.

Your TV wont 'see' the HTPC when you switch to it as the HTPC will likely have gone to sleep.

A Gefen DVI Detective or DVI Detective+ (more HDMI friendly) is often the best option - the Gefen unit fools the PC into staying awake as it thinks it sees a Display at all times.

See - Gefen Inc. - DVI Detective Plus or Gefen Inc. - DVI Detective N

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom