Splitting front channels/BI-amping

daka

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’ve got a simple question - I want to split front channels LR into two each with simple Y rca cable. Then connect those to two separate amps (PA410) for each channel (one for L one for R) and this way to bi amp (separate channel for hf and lf). I think there should be no problem with doing it this way unless…? Currently bi amping speakers via AVR20 and definitely there are more details present when doing so compared to running via single amp. I’ve got 2 PA410 which typically would be used for atmos channels but I think those amps are better quality amps compared to integrated ( thd over 1khz and 80% power is nearly 7 times lower for instance).
Also total cost of those two amps was like 1000 so I think that is not too bad price either and would be rather hard to find anything better in same price range that would allow me to bi amp speakers.
Btw I have KEF R3.
Any advice appreciated

You can do it like that and l do, l actually made a Y cable fro HQ RCA cables as that seemed more secure than a splitter.

The general consensus is that if you only have a passive crossover in your speakers the effect is nothing or very close to that.

Seconded, a passive Y split is all you need.

The main advantage of Bi-Amping is separation of the drive units, so you reduce the back emf from 1 driver affecting the other. The effect is subtle but measurable and audible - unlike Bi-Wiring, which does virtually nothing..

Seconded, a passive Y split is all you need.

The main advantage of Bi-Amping is separation of the drive units, so you reduce the back emf from 1 driver affecting the other. The effect is subtle but measurable and audible - unlike Bi-Wiring, which does virtually nothing..
Does it make any difference if I split 2 amps - one for each speaker or to do both speakers but one amp to handle HF of both and the other amp LF

Does it make any difference if I split 2 amps - one for each speaker or to do both speakers but one amp to handle HF of both and the other amp LF
Both ways are worth trying. The common denominator is normally the power supply, and some are better than others at recovering from peak loads and keep voltage line modulation to a minimum.

See if you can hear a difference and which you prefer.

You can have horizontal and vertical biamping. I'm doing vertical, where one stereo power amp powers one speaker.

In horizontal layout, one stereo amp powers treble drivers on both speakers. With the second amp, its powering bass drivers in both speakers.

If your amps are not identical l would use an amp for left and the other for right
Interesting, I would not, as this is more likely to lead to the left and right channels sounding unbalanced. It's much easier to tweak levels with a horizontal topology and some people use this technique to add or remove some brightness from their systems.

With identical amplifiers, it all comes down to how the amplifier performs and what level of cross talk or modulation within the power supply sections the amplifier exhibits.

You can have horizontal and vertical biamping. I'm doing vertical, where one stereo power amp powers one speaker.

In horizontal layout, one stereo amp powers treble drivers on both speakers. With the second amp, its powering bass drivers in both speakers.
Have tried both ways? Arcam with pa240 suggests doing horizontal amping.

Have tried both ways? Arcam with pa240 suggests doing horizontal amping.
Depends on your speaker, and how it's wired? ie if using two way standmounts probably not too demanding. I'm using three way, four driver floorstanders. I can't remember if "HF" is just for treble, and for midrange, with "LF" for the two bass drivers, or if "HF" is for treble driver alone, with "LF" for midrange and two bass drivers. But if it's the latter, then having one amplifier just for treble seemed a bit of a waste as no power used, as the LF amp will be strained with driving all three drivers.

But with vertical, then one amp has even load of treble, midrange/bass.

Jesus! Bi wiring totally confuses me. I have some bowers & wilkins 607 anniversary speakers I can bi wire, there is a bar behind the speakers that join ×2 red & black connectors if you run one set of wire. Now my confusion is I only have 1 set of black & red connectors on my marantz amp. To me if I run x2 pair of cable from my 1 set of connection amp to 2 pair connection speakers its basically gonna improve nothing because its the same as if I left the bars on the speakers that connect the 2 anyhow. Sorry if I sound thick but I don't get it.

Jesus! Bi wiring totally confuses me. I have some bowers & wilkins 607 anniversary speakers I can bi wire, there is a bar behind the speakers that join ×2 red & black connectors if you run one set of wire. Now my confusion is I only have 1 set of black & red connectors on my marantz amp. To me if I run x2 pair of cable from my 1 set of connection amp to 2 pair connection speakers its basically gonna improve nothing because its the same as if I left the bars on the speakers that connect the 2 anyhow. Sorry if I sound thick but I don't get it.
You can buy connector for two sets of wire - or buy 1 cable with banana and other with spades to connect both. It can minimally improve things like decrease interference between different frequencies. Depends on speaker though some you’ll hear difference on others you won’t. Bi-amping will definitely make bigger difference.

Correct it's the same thing.

Now if you had four mono blocs, that would be another thing entirely. Or ideally with line level crossover cards specifically designed with your speakers in mind, whereby the Speakers themselves have no crossover network, the two pair of terminals go straight to the drivers. If you wire bass signal/amp to treble driver the driver goes pop

You can buy connector for two sets of wire - or buy 1 cable with banana and other with spades to connect both. It can minimally improve things like decrease interference between different frequencies. Depends on speaker though some you’ll hear difference on others you won’t. Bi-amping will definitely make bigger difference.
Thanks I get it now. Plus I realise the marantz amp does have speakers left a & b plus right a & b for bi wiring so I realised discovered how to connect.

Just to add my 2p...

I have bi-wired my Cantoon front speakers and Onkyo AVR with a 2-to-4 banana plug speaker wire (Excellent series rom Oehlbach) and can hear a big difference in clarity when playing both movies and music. Granted, the cables are very expensive but has definately given me better sound and would absolutely recommend it. Then again, every ear is different...

Thanks for that the good news is my amp marNtz pm6007 I discovered has capability for bi wiring. & if i read it properly i would have found out its for bi wiring. Just gave to fork out the cash for another 12 metres of wire. At least the Bowers & Wilkins have a & b too so should be a cinch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom