• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Splitting Freeview

plynchy

Standard Member
Hi.
I've been running a split Freeview signal to 2 sets downstairs in my house for some time with no problems. The signal enters the house from a single high gain aerial, into a 2 way amp, then a cable to each set. All works fine.

Last week I ran in a new aerial cable, the existing one was over 12 years old, routed it into the bedroom, into a passive 3 way splitter then back to the downstairs amp. Both downstairs sets still OK.

I have since installed a small LCD set in the bedroom (built in freeview), and have this running off an amp also via the 3rd cable from the passive splitter, it isn't picking up all the channels I expected, and the downstairs sets have lost Film 4 amongst others.

As far as I know i'm picking up the Bilsdale signal.

Any pointers to improve my reception at all?

:thumbsup:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi.
I've been running a split Freeview signal to 2 sets downstairs in my house for some time with no problems. The signal enters the house from a single high gain aerial, into a 2 way amp, then a cable to each set. All works fine.

Last week I ran in a new aerial cable, the existing one was over 12 years old, routed it into the bedroom, into a passive 3 way splitter then back to the downstairs amp. Both downstairs sets still OK.

I have since installed a small LCD set in the bedroom (built in freeview), and have this running off an amp also via the 3rd cable from the passive splitter, it isn't picking up all the channels I expected, and the downstairs sets have lost Film 4 amongst others.

As far as I know i'm picking up the Bilsdale signal.

Any pointers to improve my reception at all?

:thumbsup:

You have not got enough signal for a passive 3 way split and need an active device. If you replace the passive splitter with an amplifier it should work as before. You could try using the existing amp to feed the 3 way splitter and feed the local Tv with the second output.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom