Splitting Bi-wire???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Boggsy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Boggsy

Boggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I'm currently trying to sort out speaker cables for my new 5.1 system.
    The problem I have is that after buying the amp and speakers (674E and Kef 2005) I'm a bit sort on the cash front, so I'm trying to get good cable as cheap as I can.

Whilst looking at QED stuff, I noticed that the bi-wire cable is about £3/m more expensive that the normal. Now, due to the differences in the required cable runs to my rear speakers (one of 8m and one of 11m), it is cheaper to buy a single length of bi-wire (the longer length) than buying two (correct) lengths of normal.

So, is it feasible/possible/advisable to split the two pairs of cable in the bi-wire and use that to my rear speakers ??? I know the difference in price is not a great deal (around £5) but I really need to keep the costs down for a hostof reasons.

Also if anyone knows a really cheap place to get cable...... :lease:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I split some QED biwire to single wire a pair of speakers. Theer is no differene betweent the single and biwire leads, they are just stuck together and split very easily apart. :)

If you want to buy very cheap, but perfectly usable cable, check out Maplins.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    CPC have a special on at the moment for both 10m and 25m reels of Philips 16AWg (1.3 sqmm) speaker cable.
    The 25m reel has a minimum order quantity of 2 reels, but for two off they are £11.62 incl VAT and Delivery, or just £0.23p per meter.

Putting two runs of this together for a speaker to get 2.6 sq mm CSA, or 13 AWG, (more than the 2.5 sq mm of the Van Damme cable @ Powerbuy price of £1.98 per meter) will still only cost £0.46p per meter!!