Question Splitting a 4K HDMI signal, one feed back to older amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MoFoHo, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi all.
    I'm considering upgrading some of my equipment pretty soon. I've got my eye on Oppos new UHD BD player, and the new Epson 4K projector.

I kinda like my old Denon AV amp though. But it can't pass 3D or 4K.

So devices like the Oppo are designed to slot into legacy systems like mine. The twin HDMI outputs!

The 'audio only' output goes into the amp to let it do it's thing, (lets call it "BD Audio" on the amp) and the video output goes to your display, right?

Could I split that 4K 'video out' feed and send one feed to the projector (obviously) and send the other feed back to the amp, (lets call it "BD Video", on the amp)? Obviously I wouldn't select the "BD Video" input if the Oppo was doing any 3D or 4K shenanigans, only if it was playing back regular BD playback.

We only use 3D on the projector, so can lose 3D capability to the TV (which is what I currently use a HDMI splitter for: to split a Panasonics 3D output between a TV and projector, both 3D capable: no problems there.

Basically, does a HDMI splitter 'see' a HDMI input on an amp, if that input is not selected? Or are they all 'live' whether selected for use or not? Will that unselected HDMI input still send out a signal that stops the 3D/4K signal going to the projector?

I know it's a long shot, and that all this 4K and HDCP business is an utter nightmare.
    But I'd appreciate your thoughts.

It's a shame that the Oppo can't switch that secondary HDMI output between just audio and audio/video (my Panasonic BT310 can!) but it can't. So I was wondering about splitting the full video feed, with one split going back to the amp...

Any ideas good people?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    Is there a reason to select the OPPO as your UHD BD Player vs. A.N.Other Dual 'Video' Output UHD BD Player?

Adding a solution such as a 1x2 UHD Splitter plus an HDFury Linker to One of its Outputs is going to add a fair chunk of cost to the price of the OPPO Player!

Joe

3. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for the reply.
    Well the Oppo also plays SACDs and DVD-audio discs, so it's a perfect all in one device for me really. Why would I need 2 devices, why the linker?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    If you 'split' the UHD 'Video' Output of the OPPO to the AVR and Projector the OPPO is likely to always 'see' the AVR and either refuse to play back UHD content (you will receive a 'not compatible' message) or limit itself to 1080p (or whatever the AVR supports).

If that is the case you would need to add in the HDF Linker between one Output of the 1x2 and the AVR.

Worth having a talk with OPPO support who can advise on what they would expect the Player to do when presented with the split output.

Alternatively you try and find a Manual 1x2 UHD compatible splitter which will only ever Output to the Projector or the AVR - again talk with OPPO support.

Joe

5. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You know, I thought that a simple toggle/manual switch would be a better bet! Not sure if such a thing even exists though to be honest!

This 4K HDCP malarkey is an utter nightmare. I really appreciate your advice Joe.