Splitter damaging my Yamaha?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Slate, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Slate

Slate
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a new Yamaha RX-A3070 less than a year ago and it’s now out for repair for the second time. The HDMI board was replaced the first time and a month later will have to be replaced again. Consequently, I’ve had two HDMI splitter/amplifiers go out the same time as the Yamaha receiver. The first splitter I used for over 7 years with 3 different receivers (2 Pioneers and a Denon), the second only lasted a month. Obviously there’s a correlation, but what’s causing it? Is the Yamaha knocking out the splitters when the board goes bad, or is the splitter with long HDMI cables frying the Yamaha boards?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    HDMI cables do carry a current so can theoretically cause damage to the devices they are connected to. A surge caused on one device can theoretically be conveyed to another via the HDMI connections between them. You can even experience issues or damage hardware by hot plugging HDMI cables despite the fact that HDMI org suggest this to be acceptable practice.

I'd hazzard that you'd need a detailed report on both the receiver and the splitters and someone who can inteppret these in order to ascertain if the receiver is in fact causing the issues with the splitters. Anything else would be speculation.

3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Dodgy cable with intermittent screen to conductor shorts as a result of previous compression/kink perhaps?

4. Slate

Slate
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m thinking it may be a good time to upgrade and future proof with quality HDMI over CAT6/7. Any thoughts?

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    If wanting UHD and HDR video then you may even want to investigate using HDMI over fibre? This is however a more expensive option.

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    It's expensive, but it works over real distances, unlike every other option I tried - including two "premium certified" cables.

7. Slate

Slate
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the fiber is pretty pricey. I’m thinking cat6 is my best option. Monoprice has a unit that does everything thing I need, I’m just concerned about reliability and if it will cause any damage to my receiver again......or vice versa.

8. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Maybe you have a fault in your electrical installation, such as missing earth. Remember without an earth all the leakage current from equipment can flow down interconnecting cables (screens) into other interconnected devices. If the leakage current is high enough this may be damaging the HDMI boards. It is also possible for two grounds to be at a slightly different potential, which will result in a current flowing when connected together by a cable. Ground loop hum is caused by circulating leakage currents, which is why fibre optics with their inherent electrical isolation are always a good option.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    RX-A3070 - a quick look around here on AVF and elsewhere does not show up any inherent issues with the HDMI Board of that unit.

Double Earthed - many devices now rely on a connected device in the signal path to create a connection to Earth (ground) not impossible that no device in your system has an Earth pin.

Weather - are electrical storms an issue in Huntsville? Any correlation between lightning storms and when kit failed?

Connectivity - an overview of your system would be helpful.

System - any other new devices in the system other than the AVR?

Joe

10. Slate

Slate
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update, my next door neighbor was out raking up dead leaves from his suddenly dying oak tree this weekend. I asked him what happened and he said lightning hit it. Turns out it happened the day I wasn’t home, so that solves that mystery. My splitter wasn’t on a surge protector. Still not positive what happened the second time or why it now won’t pass a 4K signal.