Split Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I got this today and allready seen it. :smashin:

I don't know what you're on, Cas, but please send me some ;). With regard to your "... perhaps even facing down the barrel of his first ever franchise" and "With any luck, this with be just the start of a strong and much-welcome comeback," I can confirm that Split is the first in a franchise (there is definitely a sequel already in the works) and on the strength of this film M. Knight S. is definitely back, much in the way Keanu Reeves WTF?!'d everybody with John Wick.

I don't know what you're on, Cas, but please send me some ;). With regard to your "... perhaps even facing down the barrel of his first ever franchise" and "With any luck, this with be just the start of a strong and much-welcome comeback," I can confirm that Split is the first in a franchise (there is definitely a sequel already in the works) and on the strength of this film M. Knight S. is definitely back, much in the way Keanu Reeves what the fudge?!'d everybody with John Wick.

I was trying to be subtle.
It's actually the second film in the franchise, isn't it? I just hope it's the comeback of Willis too!

Really hard to comment without spoiling the film, however I fell asleep watching this.

As always, subtlety goes way over my head! And you are right on both counts!

Sorry, I should say that I meant I hope he makes the most of the comeback, rather than brings down the production (as per his last sequel).
I'm also curious as to the name of the film, as it implies focus on a character I hadn't expected to be the focal point. (I guess I kinda expected the next film to be about Wills battling The Horde, with Jackson just cameoing; still if they work well together maybe it'll finally pave the way for a decent Die Hard sequel with Jackson returning)

Sorry, I should say that I meant I hope he makes the most of the comeback, rather than brings down the production (as per his last sequel).
I'm also curious as to the name of the film, as it implies focus on a character I hadn't expected to be the focal point. (I guess I kinda expected the next film to be about Wills battling The Horde, with Jackson just cameoing; still if they work well together maybe it'll finally pave the way for a decent Die Hard sequel with Jackson returning)

MKS has had a change in funding circumstances so he is now on a tighter leash and under greater control, which stops him, theoretically, from the kind of self-induglence that sent him off the rails. I think his tendency to self-destruct increases the greater the budget at his disposal. The next film will be along those lines but my educated guess is that it will be more of a set up for the third one, in which that conflict will let rip. Throw enough money at the second actor you mention and it could very well happen, especially if he (or she) and their agent smell a franchise. After the last film in that other franchise you mention, the one that wasn't even really a part of the original series, it's hard to know where it could go apart from being rebooted entirely. You might be interested to hear that Resident Evil is now getting a complete reboot. I'm not sure of Paul W.S. Anderson will be doing it but he is definitely going to kick off a Monster Hunter hoped-for franchise.

MKS has had a change in funding circumstances so he is now on a tighter leash and under greater control, which stops him, theoretically, from the kind of self-induglence that sent him off the rails. I think his tendency to self-destruct increases the greater the budget at his disposal. The next film will be along those lines but my educated guess is that it will be more of a set up for the third one, in which that conflict will let rip. Throw enough money at the second actor you mention and it could very well happen, especially if he (or she) and their agent smell a franchise. After the last film in that other franchise you mention, the one that wasn't even really a part of the original series, it's hard to know where it could go apart from being rebooted entirely. You might be interested to hear that Resident Evil is now getting a complete reboot. I'm not sure of Paul W.S. Anderson will be doing it but he is definitely going to kick off a Monster Hunter hoped-for franchise.

Well I'd definitely like Unbreakable (Dunn meets Glass) and Split (Dunn realises Glass was right about there being other 'superhumans') to be followed by Glass (which, as you suggest, may be a further stepping-stone, seeing Glass become a mastermind behind The Horde's evil antics, and Dunn having to look for his own help to bring them down) and potentially a final film to see it all close out. But I think, given the age of the actors, and plan for release (2019), they'll probably just do one more, and try and cram it all into that (Dunn and the girl from Split vs. Glass and The Horde).

And no, I REALLY don't want a Die Hard reboot (RE is crying out to be done right, although I'd say a TV series would be a better approach). Willis may be a wash-out sell-out at the moment (he's the one I'm really worried about, not MKS), but he's still Die Hard. Have him and Jackson do one final swan song (the upcoming Jackson and Ryan Reynolds flick The Hitman's Bodyguard is the kind of thing I'd be hoping for, only with a slightly more serious narrative beneath the witty banter). All that said, I am strangely enjoying the new Lethal Weapon TV series, but there was far more backstory there to play with - a similar approach to a young(er) John McClane, I suspect (notwithstanding the comic book efforts which were quite good) would not have as much going for them to distinguish them from the crowd. Buddy-buddy antics with Willis and Jackson may prove just what it needs to end on a high.

Either way, the final shot gives Split a very different spin, and makes it, at least for me, a beacon of hope in many respects.

This was something new, fresh and thoroughly enjoyable. Finished watching it and thought "Wow! Now there's a turn up for the books". Reestablished some faith and credibility back into MKS, at long last.
McAvoy was utterly brilliant and proved what a good actor he really is. Forget X Men, Wanted and the over the top stuff, this was pure acting at its best. Each role was totally credible. Great film and worthy addition to anyone's collection.

Well I'd definitely like Unbreakable (Dunn meets Glass) and Split (Dunn realises Glass was right about there being other 'superhumans') to be followed by Glass (which, as you suggest, may be a further stepping-stone, seeing Glass become a mastermind behind The Horde's evil antics, and Dunn having to look for his own help to bring them down) and potentially a final film to see it all close out. But I think, given the age of the actors, and plan for release (2019), they'll probably just do one more, and try and cram it all into that (Dunn and the girl from Split vs. Glass and The Horde).

And no, I REALLY don't want a Die Hard reboot (RE is crying out to be done right, although I'd say a TV series would be a better approach). Willis may be a wash-out sell-out at the moment (he's the one I'm really worried about, not MKS), but he's still Die Hard. Have him and Jackson do one final swan song (the upcoming Jackson and Ryan Reynolds flick The Hitman's Bodyguard is the kind of thing I'd be hoping for, only with a slightly more serious narrative beneath the witty banter). All that said, I am strangely enjoying the new Lethal Weapon TV series, but there was far more backstory there to play with - a similar approach to a young(er) John McClane, I suspect (notwithstanding the comic book efforts which were quite good) would not have as much going for them to distinguish them from the crowd. Buddy-buddy antics with Willis and Jackson may prove just what it needs to end on a high.

Either way, the final shot gives Split a very different spin, and makes it, at least for me, a beacon of hope in many respects.

I don't know how to reply so as not to spoil, Cas. If you can let me know then I'll get back to you.

And no, I REALLY don't want a Die Hard reboot (RE is crying out to be done right, although I'd say a TV series would be a better approach). Willis may be a wash-out sell-out at the momentU (he's the one I'm really worried about, not MKS), but he's still Die Hard. Have him and Jackson do one final swan song (the upcoming Jackson and Ryan Reynolds flick The Hitman's Bodyguard is the kind of thing I'd be hoping for, only with a slightly more serious narrative beneath the witty banter). All that said, I am strangely enjoying the new Lethal Weapon TV series, but there was far more backstory there to play with - a similar approach to a young(er) John McClane, I suspect (notwithstanding the comic book efforts which were quite good) would not have as much going for them to distinguish them from the crowd. Buddy-buddy antics with Willis and Jackson may prove just what it needs to end on a high.

There's clearly a universe to be established here and a roadmap for it will exist already. What Split offers is the introduction. You and I have seen Unbreakable but the filmmakers cannot assume everyone else has, especially given that there are now 17 years between them. This means that either Unbreakable gets remade or somehow bypassed, and I cannot see the latter happening since it's an essential part of the canon. Apart from the brief scene at the end of Split we have yet to meet the true main characters, the antagonist and protagonist, and even then we meet only the one. I agree, Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson are getting on and, although still very big names, I wonder how much marquee power they both possess. In which case their main roles could go to someone else and they both appear as supporting actors or even in extended cameos. Very much, I would imagine, as Harrison Ford does in the new Blade Runner. Or maybe Bruce Willis really does carry the next one. It's unlike Hollywood to cram everything into one film when there is so much potential here. After all, this is the industry that came up with the four-part trilogy!

For so many millions of people, a Die Hard reboot is a no brainer, as with Resident Evil. Just keep rolling these things out, new cast, new look, in perpetuity! You and I are no loner the target demographic, after all. I'm not familiar with the Lethal Weapon TV series apart from now fearing my ever growing 'to watch' list has grown yet again! You're corresponding with someone who has yet to watch any of Game of Thrones, if you can imagine such a thing! Instead, I am now waiting till it is finally all over and I can get hold of the 4k boxed set! Then you will see binge watching at its finest!

I agree with you about the final shot in Split (if you mean the diner scene) but it's been a while since I saw that film so maybe I've forgotten something that was on top of that. Is there one particular shot within that scene?

There's clearly a universe to be established here and a roadmap for it will exist already. What Split offers is the introduction. You and I have seen Unbreakable but the filmmakers cannot assume everyone else has, especially given that there are now 17 years between them. This means that either Unbreakable gets remade or somehow bypassed, and I cannot see the latter happening since it's an essential part of the canon. Apart from the brief scene at the end of Split we have yet to meet the true main characters, the antagonist and protagonist, and even then we meet only the one. I agree, Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson are getting on and, although still very big names, I wonder how much marquee power they both possess. In which case their main roles could go to someone else and they both appear as supporting actors or even in extended cameos. Very much, I would imagine, as Harrison Ford does in the new Blade Runner. Or maybe Bruce Willis really does carry the next one. It's unlike Hollywood to cram everything into one film when there is so much potential here. After all, this is the industry that came up with the four-part trilogy!

For so many millions of people, a Die Hard reboot is a no brainer, as with Resident Evil. Just keep rolling these things out, new cast, new look, in perpetuity! You and I are no loner the target demographic, after all. I'm not familiar with the Lethal Weapon TV series apart from now fearing my ever growing 'to watch' list has grown yet again! You're corresponding with someone who has yet to watch any of Game of Thrones, if you can imagine such a thing! Instead, I am now waiting till it is finally all over and I can get hold of the 4k boxed set! Then you will see binge watching at its finest!

I agree with you about the final shot in Split (if you mean the diner scene) but it's been a while since I saw that film so maybe I've forgotten something that was on top of that. Is there one particular shot within that scene?

No, no just the whole scene (and music which was the theme from the other film) which spun my head as to the grander design going on.

No, no just the whole scene (and music which was the theme from the other film) which spun my head as to the grander design going on.

My partner loved Split as well but then she would pay to watch James McAvoy read the Yellow Pages and not even out loud! But she didn't understand why I reacted the way I did to that last scene until I had explained it all to her afterwards. There is now so much potential and promise here but MKS still needs to be kept under control and I can never forget or forgive him for what he did to and with The Last Airbender.

Reading online MNS says there will be a sequel called Glass with all the characters (yes all) mentioned above

I thought the film was interesting and compelling but the ending was a bit predictable and the film wasn't as good as unbreakable. It put me in the mood for unbreakable 2.

Got round to watching this at the Weekend Cas.

Really enjoyed it, JM was superb and should get awards for this performance, Very convincing!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom