Split the ir from a magic eye?

rorton

Have a working setup with sky hd in lounge with magic eye to 5 other tvs around the house.

Is it possible to 'tap off' the infra red to drive another device?

Basically, the kitchen has a tv with link to sky, and also 2 speakers which are fed from zone 2 on my amp.

I'd like to control the amp via ir from the kitchen instead of having to go into the lounge. Have magic eye so thought about tapping of this, but I do have some cat5's behind this tv so could use those.

Cheers

logiciel

The "eyes" control the Sky machines directly, not by IR, so you'd have to a way of converting from "eye" to IR.
Isn't it time for a proper set of wireless IR extenders though?

Last edited:

rorton

logiciel said:
It might work and you could easily try it, but isn't it time for a proper set of wireless IR extenders?

Isn't that a bit clunky though?

Tv is high up on kitchen wall and didn't really want another box kicking round in site if I could help it?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Only a sky box understands the embedded remote control signals from a magic eye sent back down the coax. There are gadgets that will convert these back to ir in the room where the Sky box is. This will allow a magic eye to control most kit.

logiciel

Isn't that a bit clunky though?
Tv is high up on kitchen wall and didn't really want another box kicking round in site if I could help it?
How clunky, and how does the position of the TV affect it?
Extenders are quite small devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom