Split HDMI with dual 4k + True HD Audio

Atchi123

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 4k TV and XBox One S but an Onkyo 818 amp that does not pass through 4k. To get around this I am using HDMI to TV and optical to amp from the XBox but the audio is only Dolby and not the higher audio resolutions.
Solution would seem to be some kind of splitter that has 2 simultanteous outputs that pass 4k AND higher res audio. I bought this (link below) thinking it would work but output is not simultaneous but switched.

4K HDMI Switch, Kinps, 3 In 1 Out 2FT HDMI Switcher: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Is there a splitter that would do the job?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Atchi123

Just wondered if this worked for you?

I have just bought an XBOX One S and also have an Okyo 818. I'm looking to split the HDMI signal as follows:

4K HDR Video to 4K-capable TV with HDMI 2.0 (LG OLED55B6V)
HD Audio to Onkyo 818 with HDMI 1.4a

Reading other threads the consensus is a splitter alone won't work and you need something like HDFury's more expensive down-converters to downscale the feed to the Onkyo.

Did you solve this?

A 'Splitter' (Distribution Amp) will simply 'mirror' the Input signal to multiple Sync devices so unless your AVR can 'ignore' the video signal you will require something to Mirror + Down convert, the question then becomes add in the required kit or replace the AVR!

Linker + Integral Bundle – The Media Factory

Joe

Thanks for confirming Joe, that's unfortunately what I thought. Presumably my Onkyo 818 will ignore the HDMI 2.0 signal from a splitter, or worse enforce HDMI 1.4 on both outputs from the splitter as the lowest common denominator, rendering 4K HDR unviable for the TV connection.

Sadly the HD Fury down-converter/scaler is just too expensive an option for me. I'm better off opting for a dedicated UHD Blu-Ray player with dual outputs or upgrading my receiver. Problem is I'm definitely not keen on a receiver upgrade, having been through this expense during the transition to 3D for HDMI 1.3 to 1.4. Having just heard HDMI 2.1 is on the cards I'll be keeping my powder dry. It almost makes you think, with all these incremental half-steps in technical standards and bandwidth, that there's an industry somewhere trying to make free money every year ;)

Looks like a Panny DMP-UB700 or 900 is the way to go for me.

Agreed! In my experience the Xbox makes a terrible Blu Ray player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom