Split a Sky Digital signal to more than one tv.

A

ashleyhyatt@mac

Hi guys,

I have been on Cable for years & years now... Bell Cable Media, Cable & Wireless & now NTL. Frankly Im sick of NTL and all that was before !
At the moment I have Analog NTL box that splits the signal using boosters to 4 other TV's in the house.

Can someone tell me if a Sky Digital Signal can be fed around to multiple tv's in the same way ? If so, what connections does it use (just normal tv areial cable I presume) ???

Thanks, hope someone can help !

I have my Sky+ and NTL analog signal split to 5 other TV's around the house using boosters etc. and regular arial cable. I just take the incoming cable from NTL and push it through my SKY+ box exiting on the RF2 connection.
Seems to work ok.

bailda said:
I have my Sky+ and NTL analog signal split to 5 other TV's around the house using boosters etc. and regular arial cable. I just take the incoming cable from NTL and push it through my SKY+ box exiting on the RF2 connection.
Seems to work ok.

Im not to sure what tyou mean by pushing through ???

I am thinking of stopping NTL and just using Sky Digital... will Sky Digital on its own work through a normal arial fed round to 5 tv's ?

yes, Sky will work on the aerial cable pushed to loads of tellies, but you may need a booster depending on signal losses

Thx for the reply's guys, that a great help...

Another thing though... at the moment in the back of my analogue NTL cable box I have a nice little adaptor that was fitted when my cable was installed many years ago. This adaptor allows any tv in the house to receive terrestrial channels while the cable box can be set to an alternate channel.

Because I already feed the signal through boosters to 5 TV's it means I can get any of the 5 terrestrial channels on any tv as well as having cable set to sky 1 or sky sports etc.

Is there anyway to get this same set up on Sky Digital ???

I am including a image of the little box that is attached to the back of the cable box. (I've never attached a pic before so I hope it works).

I would greatly appreciate any info on this as its the only thing stopping me from switching to Sky.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC02272.JPG
    DSC02272.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 90
When I said push through, I meant the signal comes in from the Ntl box and goes out on the RF2 connection to around. The reasons I kept my NTL box was that 1. It comes in the basic package of phone line and basic channels. 2. It means that when I push the signal around the house, I can watch any of the normal terestrial channels as well as whats on the SKY + box.
I suspect, and I'm sure someone will correct me, that if you get rid of your NTL box the only signal you will get on the other TV's is the same thats showing on the SKY box.

You are right, I will correct you............in the nicest possible way though. I have just dispensed with ntl and gone to Sky. I have taken the ntl receiver box out of the loop entirely and put the ntl coax directly in to the TV's RF in and hey presto......Channels 1 - 5. I knew it could be done with analogue cable (ie: you didn't need a receiver box to get terrestrial) but when they changed us over to digital a couple of years ago the engineer said it could no longer be done.....................................................................
Well Mr. Engineer it's done. :thumbsup:

What's more this signal is split 4 times around the house.

Thanks for the correction. I will try that myself later. With any luck I can tell NTL where to go as well. Shame I cant do that with their Broadband connection though.

Ashley

AFAIK the little box on the back of the NTL box is to separate the normal RF Terrestrial signal from the cable feed so you can send it to your booster. Some boxes do this internally, like my digital box, so no need for this gizmo. Keep hold of this box as it stops feedback to and from the NTL network.

rasb0

While I believe your method does work, it is better to get a box like Ashley's to prevent damage to both NTL network and your our set up. If NTL wont supply it, depends on the engineer I'm told and I will find out tomorrow when my NTL box goes back, maplins do a device to prevent feedback and split the signal properly.

Wackojacko32

:eek: What damage, to what bits of my set up :confused:

There are splitters all over the house, well actually mostly in the loft (2 way and 3 way - 3.5db ratings). :rolleyes:

Sorry rasb0 been away from PC.

AFAIK, mainly from reading on here, and another well known cable forum, is that it prevents feedback and interference from the NTL network and prevents possible overloads to any equipment connect to the aerial. I also believe that it can cause interference to the NTL network, not that that would bother you :).

The splitter I mentioned connects directly to the incoming NTL cable and separates the terrestrial feed from the digital and prevents this from happening. It may be BS to stop people taking a free ride on NTL but I am only relaying it to just in case there's any risk.

I will ask the engineer who collects my box tomorrow for more info and post back here then

Wackojacko32

Update

I think this is the splitter from maplins that I saw referred to http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=1m3 you will see from the specs that 'This splitter features low insertion loss and high return loss and isolation'. You will need a fly lead to connect this to you F-connector/adapter mentioned earlier.

Usual Caveats apply so please dont sue :D .

D'Ya think he'll tell ya'. :rolleyes:

I'll watch this space.

Thanks for the heads up. :confused:

I've not yet ripped all me cables out!

:thumbsup:
Wow, that makes interesting reading. Not sure about the final conclusion though :confused:

When the engineer, sorry!!...Install'n Tech'n calls to collect the 3 receivers I'll ask him for one of those "thingeemerjigs,".....Modular.....Low...................Modular....Low......Profile...............Modular Low Profile Isolators, there, got it :D

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom