Splash Plastic pre-pay card - warning !

Nick_UK

Ex Member
Reaction score
Splash plastic is a pre-pay plastic card where you top up the card online and you can then use the card like an ordinary debit card, up to the limit of the cash you spent on it. Splash Plastic originally launched in 2003, and I got one because it was a convenient way to pay for my dial-up internet (I'd just been stung when a major ISP took a lot of money from me by direct-debit, and didn't want to risk it again).

Then the ISP closed down, and I had no use for the card, which still had £11 on it, but I thought I could eventually use it to buy other stuff, but the trouble was that there weren't too many stores that accepted Splash Plastic. Then I got an e-mail saying that the old Splash Plastic was being withdrawn, and that any money still on the old card by September 30th could not be transferred to the new one. I couldn't find anything costing £11 to buy, so I eventually lost the money. As it was only £11, I couldn't be bothered to chase it up for such a small amount (and I suspect I was not alone).

Anyway, Splash Plastic has now re-launched (again), now backed by a major bank, and it now has the Maestro logo, so you can use it just about anywhere. Before you sign up for one of these cards, please consider a couple of things :

1. The business was built on the cash from 100's of punters like me who had small amounts of money legally "lifted" from their accounts.

2. Please be aware of their T & C's. Especially the bits that read.....

6. CARD EXPIRY

6.1 The expiry date of your Card is printed on the front of the Card. You will not be able to use your Card if it has expired. If you would like to apply for a replacement Card please contact Customer Services. A Card replacement fee of £5 will be charged. Alternatively you can request a refund of the Available Balance. A refund will be made according to the provisions of paragraph 7 below

6.2 No Transactions will be processed once your Card has expired.

7. REDEEMING YOUR E-MONEY

7.1 If you would like to terminate your Card and redeem any unused funds, you may do so as long as:

7.1.1 the Available Balance is greater than the Pounds Sterling equivalent of €10 (10 Euros); and

7.1.2 we believe you have not acted fraudulently; and

7.1.3 we are not prohibited from doing so by any applicable law, regulation, court order or instruction or guidance of a competent regulatory authority or agency.

7.2 You can obtain redemption of any unused funds by contacting Customer Services using the contact details at paragraph 20 of these terms and conditions and stating that you wish to redeem your e-money.

7.3 We will charge a redemption fee of £7 +2% or the Available Balance if lower than the said redemption fee .........

http://www.360money.com/splashplastic/termsconditions.html

Beware ! :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom