1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spl setting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barrykil, Jul 8, 2002.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    messing about with radioshack spl meter do you set the weighting to a or c for hc set up and is it 73 out of all speakers what about the sub? thanks for any advice

2. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi barrykil,

You should use the C weighting filter, and it is 75dB for speakers. For sub I recommend you around 78dB. Nothing like trying by yourself to see if it sounds natural or not. I hope it helps.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I gave up trying to set the sub with an SPL meter ages ago. When the meter says that the sub level is correct it is barely audible.

4. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how good your SPL is with low frequencies, and usually they are not that good.
    Anyway, that is nothing from normal, as it is not that usual to listen to the sub that frequently during music listenning. The contrary with HT. :)
    It all depends on the crossover frequency you use. If you use something like 50Hz, I am sure you will not hear it omnipresent.
    When I wrote an email to the technical deparment of the company that produces my AV processor, asking for setup instructions, I got a reply saying that sub should not be intrusive in a properly setup system. Also, to FINE tune it by listenning after a first approuch using SPL. But, if I intended my system to be correctly setup, bass should sound natural and it would not be as listenable as I expected.

If your SPL is able to read sound pressure at the sub setup tone (some are not), I think that at least it may give you an indication where to start.
    My oppinion.

Bests.

5. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks for your replies and advice cheers