Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SPL Meter

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JetJockey, Oct 10, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic:

Any recommendations? The instrument of choice used to be the Maplin Analogue SPL meter but they don't stock it anymore! They sell a Maplin Digital SPL meter now. Is this any good?

Many Thanks, Gerald. :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    I think the SPL of choice on here has been for a fair while the 'Radio Shack' analogue SPL. This is still available but getting quite difficault to track down stock.

I've got the Maplin digital SPL and it is good enough for setting up a HC system, but can be a bit inaccurate with the subwoofer. In the past I have got the sub to a level I like just by my own judgement rather than useing the SPL and therefore the inaccuracy has never been a problem. As I say, for all your other speakers the SPL from Maplin will be as accurate as you need to get a balanced sound from the speakers.

Mark.

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just did a quick search, the first link that comes up quotes £30 for the radio shack analogue.

See url: http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.uk/

I presume they only do this one? The scale goes down to -10db I would have thought it would go down to -12. Don't suppose this matters, its probably the one I'm getting anyway.

How much is the Maplin digital one?

Simon

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Got mine from cornwall electronics, its the right one and is meant to be a lot better than the digital ones.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Details of the Maplin SPL are Here

6. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    owain just before I make a final decision - what are the advantages of the analogue over the more expensive digital? Radioshack do a digital version as well you see. Also is your version the newer analogue version and if so does it still need the correction tables (incidentally do you know if the digital version needs the correction tables?)

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    When I was looking for mine all the threads I read said that basically the analogue one was more accurate. Mine does need the correction table, it has a manual with it that shows this. Don't know if the digi one does, not heard of many people using them.

hth
    owain

8. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks owain, I'll probably go for the analogue one then from the same place you got yours. Apparently there is a mod you can do (involves changing capacitors) which does away with the need for the correction table by improving the units performance. Not sure how effective this is but I can probably find you the link if your interested?

Simon

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Would be very interested. Can not track down the Tandy Analogue SPL meter anywhere. Anuone know of stock?

Thanks, Gerald.

10. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here is an article on the mod:
    http://www.stereotimes.com/acc032902.shtm

Here are the mod details (sub-link):
    http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/rsmeter/33-2050/33-2050.html

I don't think the Tandy name exists in the UK anymore. Aren't they the same company as Radioshack - I'm not sure myself? The top result of this search states "Cornwall Electronics Formerly Tandy Truro" and they stock the Radioshack spl meter:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=radioshack+spl+cornwall+tandy

Hope this helps,

Simon

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the mod details.

Unfortunately, Cornwall have no stock. :eek:

Gerald.

12. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    they are shown online at Keene Electronics www.keene.co.uk at £25 + pp, I don't know if they are in stock

13. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sounds like a bargain spm, I'll have to check that out!

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Analogue is regarded as better so you can see trends more easily (like on a car speedo).

I've yet to find any information showing what the correction values are for the new Radioshack meter and similarly I'm not sure if the mod is possible or even worthwhile on the new model.

15. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just ordered an analogue one from keene, i'll let you know how I get on with it when I unwrap it tomorrow.

Bhusan.

16. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Me too, just ordered analogue from keene. Ready to plot main speakers and one step closer to building an active crossover for my stereo subs - for when I've built them...and I've purchased a power amp...............and when I've expanded my very basic knowledge of active crossover construction, give me 6-8 months perhaps ;)

Simon

17. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just have to make a special meion for KEENE. I ordered my unit on wednesday and paid £8.00 for next day delivery....The next day(yesterday) nothing so I called Keene who looked into it and came back to me five minutes later to tell me that the delivery company seemed to have lost it. The nice chap on the end of the phone said that he would send one right away and would arrive here today as well as reimbursing me my eight pounds. Lo and behold... 7:30 this morning...courier...spl meter.

Great customer service they had a problem and dealt with it straight away with no fuss.

18. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Good to hear that flamingoboo, I recieved mine this morning (Sat 16th) from Keene, I order it second class on Wednesday evening so I'm well chuffed. It's smaller and lighter than I thought which is nice.

A quick check of the rolloff of my 1980s refoamed technics sealed speakers without correction tables shows a response flat down to 70Hz with a -3db point of 65Hz in room. The manual specs quote -10db at around 42Hz, they seem to be a little down on this relatively when testing at 40Hz but as I say I've not used any correction tables, I'm going to look into that now. The speakers by ear have very good bass extension in my opinion compared to alot of modern speakers I've heard. Even so they start rolling off after about 70Hz. Some of the specs quoted for modern high street average price speakers are obviously nonsense.

Have to get to grips with the correction values and get testing :)

Simon

19. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got one of these myself....anyone know if the correction values are relevant to this meter since they've redesigned it? Also notice the manual recommends pointing the mic directly at the sound source, not up in the air, which is presumably why the tripod mount is on the back now, instead of the base.

20. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Grif:

The concensus seems to be that you'll still need the correction values. I've been using them and have made test tones to correspond to the relevant frequencies.

Cosaw

21. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow...how'd you do that! I'm struggling a bit with my DVE disc as its only got a frequency sweep, which is too fast.

22. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello Grif,

This is the way I did it. Download this small free function generator:
    http://www.marchandelec.com/ftp/fg_lite.exe

This allows you to create sine waves at whatever frequency you want. Just type the desired frequency in and press enter.

Use your normal volume contols (not the ones in the program - I find this easier) and make sure you keep the volume the same.

Use the correction values and create tones at the relevant frequencies:
    http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/rsmeter.html

As the tone is playing in FGLite, record about 10 seconds with the sound recording software you probably got with your soundcard - soething like Creative Labs WaveStudio. Alternatively find a freeware version on the net.

Save each 10 second recording as a wav file and burn all the files to a music cd to play on your stereo. Note: When playing these tones on your stereo keep the volume down (I aim for about 70db and that's less than one watt on my watt meter) if its too loud you risk burning your tweeters out with a continuous sine wave.

I'd upload the tones I created to some webspace but there's about 60megs worth and I'm on 56k, reducing the quality of the files introduces alot of hiss so I think this would be unacceptable.

Hope this helps,

Simon

23. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Simon....very impressive! I'll give it a go when I get some time.