1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPL meter....help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Nebby, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi All

I picked up a Radio Shack analog Sound Level Meter yesterday, which I wanted to use to balance out my HC speakers.

I use a Pioneer DV-353 dvd player, which is connected to a VideoLogic Digitheatre home cinema speaker system (hey, you gotta work to a budget!).

I have the sound meter positioned at my normal viewing spot, mic pointing up to the ceiling, C weighting, slow response, 70dB.

When I run the pink noise test from my VideoLogic Digitheatre, the meter picks up the signal and I'm able to make adjustments. That said, I'm having to crank my master volume setting to about the 3/4 mark, just to get the centre speaker to reach 75dB. I'm then having to adjust my fronts and surrounds down a notch or two to get 75dB from each, while I have to have the sub turned all the way down.

So far, so good.

However, having read through a few posts on this site, I see lots of you suggesting that it's better to use a test disc (such as DVE) as a source for pink noise, as it's my dvd that will be providing the source signal when watching movies. And here's my problem.

When I run the DVE pink noise test, the sound meter just doesn't pick up the sound coming from my front, centre or surround speakers - even if I crank the master volume control all the way up. I could adjust the meter to a different setting, but all of the posts I've read say aim for 75dB.

I tried experimenting with the basic settings of the dvd player, but to no effect. This suggests to me (a) I'm doing something really dumb...but I can't see it, (b) a fault with the dvd player...general performance excellent, so I doubt the fault lies here, or (c) a problem with the way I've set up my Digitheatre...but as it's essentially plug and play, I can't see anything obvious.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The main thing is to have all of your speakers at the same volume. If you don't have a numerical dB volume scale then the absolute value is irrelevant anyway.

3. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have read through the instructions, it indicates you point the SPL meter toward the sound source. :confused: Which makes sense after all your ears don't point upwards when you are sat in front of speakers. It might be an idea to try this it may help. :)