1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPL LCD TVs on sale on ebay - anyone know anything about them?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tom bell, May 3, 2005.

1. tom bell

tom bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are some SPL 30 inch and 32 inch LCD TVs on sale on ebay. Does anyone know anything about SPL - other than it being Chinese?

I have found the specs, the SPL Audio website and that they are being sold through ebay by Austrian importers Qentis. But does anyone actually have one? Has anyone compared them to other LCD TVs? Any information gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just had a look on ebay- damn they are CHEAP(!)

whats the refresh speed on it? did the website tell you?

for that price its worth using as a pc monitor alone!!!!

3. azim

azim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOOKS DODGY MATE...
    all the winners what bid on those items are hidden..so cant contact any of them...
    id understand if it was just one or 2 but every single one what bought the spl screens are hidden...might be the way they work...but shouts keep away to me..

4. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my curiosity got the better of me and I have bought one of the 32"ers for my office. I have emailed the sellers a few questions. I'll let you know what happens. They have awesome feedback on ebay. (the sellers that is )

5. tom bell

tom bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm getting the 32" relisys delivered today.

How much did you end up paying for the 32" SPL?

7. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £680 +40 for delivery.

Fingers crossed its ok, spec looks ok to me.

8. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland, UK.
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have been looking at them too Rich, can't wait for your reports on it. :clap:

9. azim

azim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ rich alll the best of luck mate...it does look like a great set from the specs and only £680..cheeep..do keep us informed mate.

10. jhu

jhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea's yet on how the SPL TV is holding up?

11. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to let you no i believe they are re-badged Viewpia sets made by a company called Indtek, this company supplies LG sets and they also deal with Philips they have other company connections as well but unsure on what basis.

there web site is: http://www.indtek.co.kr and they have LCD sets from 10.4" - 47"HDTV

12. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Munkstar is that a good thing?
    Rich

13. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich,

Have you received the 32" SPL yet ??

Interesting to here any feedback on it :smashin:

14. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have also seen these SPL LCD TV's and was contemplating buying one!

But then I came across these:

Link

Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer? I have never heard of them! I am seriously thinking about buying one of these, but i'm going to wait until he sells some and gets feedback from them!

Anyone got an thoughts?

15. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bit of a hassle if it arrives broken or faulty when you get it though isn't it? Not exactly round the corner is Taiwan! :D

That would put me off immediately being non UK. :thumbsdow

16. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I collect it tomorrow morning at 8am so hopefully I'll give first impressions soon after.

Rich

17. jhu

jhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I approached someone who purchased such a Taiyi screen on Ebay.

He had the following to report:

I am very pleased with my purchase. I did a lot of research in flat panel technology. I chose the LCD over projection and plasma. I have auditioned many manufacturers and or brand names. Taiyi is a major manufacturer for several brand names. Just remember that there are pros & cons for each type of technology you choose. LCD panels like the ones you see for laptop displays and new desk top displays have in most cases stunning clarity, depth and color as well as lower power usage. They are light in weight and durable. If you like LCD, you will like Taiyi. Just remember you will need to fine tune the color to your preference as with any other new TV you get.

LCDs tend to be less black than plasmas. Also they tend to generate a bit more red hue. A few tweaks on your video adjustments for color, contrast & brightness, you should arrive at a pleasing display. At least that's what I did! WOW!!! The speakers generate clean & clear audio. The color of the unit is silver. I bought the 32 inch model for the master bedroom. I also bought it as a test model before I invested mega bucks for an LCD 46" or greater for the media/entertainment room ($5,000.00+).

I have read many reviews of all the models representing all 3 technologies. There are new technologies that will be released to the consumer later this year that promise even better specs. Of course the price will be quite high in the beginning. Right now I am pleased with LCD and very pleased with the 32" Taiyi. The price was just right!

NOTE: The unit will arrive in its native language format. You will need to change it from the Asian text to English or whatever. You will have to refer to your owners manual to count down the number of printed lines on your menu to arrive at the language setting on the TV. That was the only thing that took me a while to figure out (5 minutes).

18. mephisto

mephisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    flippin heck - 8ms and 1000:1 contrast with a 3yr warranty.....wonder if the surround is plastic? i presume it is. anyone gone for one of these yet?

19. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is it really worth the saving though if it develops a fault having to ship it all the way back to Taiwan? I'm still not convinced. :( Delivery is £70 too. :rolleyes:
    Perhaps if someone is brave enough to get one, they will post a review. :D

20. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "CUSTOM: ITEM WILL BE MARKED AS GIFT AND A FIXED INVOICE VALUE OF $300 USD WILL BE ATTACHED TO AVOID ANY TAX"

...am sure UK customs know a 32" Flat Panel TV is worth more than $300.... budget to add at least 17.5% VAT to the price then whatever import duty our friendly government adds for LCD TVs then the fees the Royal Mail chrages for clearing customs for you :eek: . Looks more like a £900 set to me... would not touch it with a barge pole espiecally with no UK distributors/retailers to complain to if it goes wrong and you need to get it fixed.... how good is your Taiwanese?!?

21. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up the SPL this morning, its been on for 10 minutes, the Tuner is awful, lucky I have my sky box.

So far so good, I'll play around and see what I can work out. The Scarts def seem to be RGB compat as I have been switching the Sky output to RGB and back and the difference is brilliant, as expected with RGB on.

Loads of inputs even optical Digital in which i didnt expect.
    Edited to add:
    DVD via component looks good.
    Sound seems reasonable as well.
    Cant find any bracket mounting holes though :-( though it comes fixed to a table stand.

Rich

22. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Exciting stuff Rich have fun, and we eagerly await your opinion on the SPL. :thumbsup:

23. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The indtek screens, and guess these spl, as im sure are just re-badge are actually assembled in a factory in Holland - how much assembled im not too sure. Wether this is good or not, im unsure. They have a hQ in Amsterdam as well.
    I jave looked at Taiya and spoken to the supplier, they seem great screens and was tempted to try one out myself, there is no scart though i believe, lots of othere connection though. Also surelly customs cant charge you more than what its marked on the packaging! so at $300 add 17.5% tax and lcd tv get 14% import. makes a very attractive sceen delivered for approx £780ish. Just my two pence.
    Im eager to no more details though on the SPL, maybe some pics?

24. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have approached the seller of these LCD TV's and was able to get the following information from them:

Wall mount will be additional $35 USD.
    TV will support UK Electrical Frequency
    Remote control included, with battery (something that i dont think is mentioned in the auction)

I am very tempted, very high specs and low(ish) price are very appealing. But what everyone else has said in regard to customs and also no UK distributors make me VERY wary!

25. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the TAIYI does come with 2 SCARTs:

I/O PORTS
    AV x 2, S-VIDEO x 1, Y/CB/CR(DVI) x 1, Y/PB/PR(D4 Signal) x 1, VGA x 1, AUDIO OUTPUT x 1

Is A/V SCART?

26. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guess it must be i missed that Doh! yeh believe they are?

27. mephisto

mephisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got stung by customs when i got an ipaq from the states and that was marked as a gift aswell. I think sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont....they do random checks i think on the packages to make sure that people dont just start marking things as what they are not (which is obviously true in respect of this lcd!). I emailed the seller asking about warranty support and he said this:

They do sound flippin great but im so picky about what i buy - i have a H&B now which im def gonna replace or return as it chirps like hell and has this stupid annoying pattern on it, little things like that make me wonder how well the taiwanese manufacturer are going to receive returns etc of that nature.

does sound good though...

28. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It just seems like this TV is fantastic value, especially if they will cover the shipping if it breaks. I am still a little wary though, and have emailed to ask a few more questions. Just want them to confirm that it does have SCART sockets. If it does then i will probably buy.

29. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mooseepoo let us no in regards to the scarts!
    Yeh customs is funny becuase i just had £300 of cables delivered about a week ago from Cobolt in the USA and didnt get any charges, luckely!
    So what happens if they do stop it and its marked at $300, surley they cant charge more than the tax and duty on the $300 than the invioce states?

Rich1231, how that screen coming along?

30. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a few mates over and their opinions have been really positive, all have said what a great picture. Only pixelation i have seen has been on satellite news feeds on sky from uzbekistan.

Well impressed!