1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spirited away

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ianlecompte, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    any idea when this will get a u.k release,and sound formats avaliable?thanks for any info,looking forward to seeing it.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'm also very keen to hear when this will be released. I haven't seen the film but it had some great reviews when it came out. As far as I know there's still no firm release date.

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Why wait for the UK release?? I would bet the UK release wont get proper subtitles - it will end up with awful Dubtitles like Laputa and Mononoke.
    Get the R1 or the R4 releases both are superb. Theres no reason these days for you not to have a multiregion dvd player.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Sod that! Just go and import the Japanese Region 2 DVD's of all of Miyazaki's and Studio Ghibli's output! Most are double-discers, all have removeable subtitles (including English) and most have English-dubbed audio as well!

They cost about £30, all-in, but are damn well worth it! Just go to...

www.cdjapan.co.jp

Enjoy! :D

Pooch

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Only problem is some of them have Dubtitles and not proper translated subtitles. The HK dvd releases are also well worth looking at, much cheaper plus they have proper Subtitles and the quality is as good as the Japanese versions (They dont have the English dub tracks but who the hell would listern to them anyway?)
    Personally I waiting for the Forthcoming R4 Ghibli collections they look like being the best (fingers crossed)

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that the English dubbed version is different than the original subtitled version? I watched the first 30 minutes and some of the plot seemed "dumbed down" in the English version. Was that just my imagination?

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What is it exactly that people have against the dubbed soundtracks ?

I understand that the original japaneese script can loose alot when translated into english, but this process must happen when translating into subtitles just as much as for the dub. I would even say that the text in the subtitles could potentially be changed even more than the dub, as you can't read at the same speed at listening to a soundtrack.

It's not like your corrupting the original actors work, as the character is animated anyway - you are just listening to an english actors interpritation instead of a japaneese actor - but both should be equally valid.

Reading the subtitles also means that your eyes spend most of the time fixed at the bottom of the screen, which means you spend a fraction of the directors intended time actually looking at the full frame.