Spiral, anyone?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by progosaurus, Aug 17, 2006.

1. progosaurus

progosaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enjoyed at least 7.5 episodes of Spiral.

Did anyone "get" the behaviour of the female lawyer at the end?
    When she
    concealed the evidence from the dying
    woman who had accused her creepy boss, what was she doing?
    Punishing him? Acting as judge,jury,executioner?
    Or was the whole series about
    the corruption of the law makers - everyone at some point, for some reason, taking the law into their own hands

Very good. At times much more graphic than normal here, but without the superficial flashy detail that hypnotises the audience in CSI. IMO.

But the ending
    seemed deliberately ... vague.
    Too self-consciously "French", perhaps? :cool:

2. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A great series, both mesmerising and mystifying.
    I understand that a second series, with the same characters, is under way.
    None of the British or American Police/Detective series can compare with it.
    Vive la France :smashin:

3. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I watched I think 4 out of the 8 episodes and then just couldn't be bothered with it. I really enjoyed the first couple but then it just........

4. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Fancied having a belated look at this but so far have only found it on amazon.fr for about £18 which is too rich for my blood and doesn't say if it comes with English subtitles.

:(

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

"Spirale" was an excellent show, although it did faulter a tiny bit towards the end, but at least it was something different. Also, the ending was deliberatly ambiguous, so that the producers of the show could force Canal+ (the TV channel in France the series was shown on), to give them more episodes, or a new season. Thankfully, the gamble paid off, and a second season (also of 8 episodes) was made and aired.

I recorded all of the original eight Season 1 episodes, and it was a good mini-series. I do wish UK channels would import more foreign-language dramas, like this, and air them with English subtitles, in the UK! The BBC has been quite good at this, in the past, giving us "Das Boot" (the original German mini-series), ""Heimat" (all 3 blocks!), The Count Of Monte-Cristo" (with Gerard Depardieu" and now "Spirale", but I crave more such series! They're really entertaining. :)

On a side note, in France, the show is called "Engrenages", which roughly translates as "cogs", but also refers to spirals as in someone or something spiralling nto violence, or out of control! Hence the English translation as "Spirale" (not "Spiral")! (Not the Gallic twist there, folks, on the spelling of the word. :lesson: )

As for the second Season of "Spirale", BBC4 do own the rights to it, which they purchased back in 2006. The original intention was to repeat the original 8-episodes of Season 1 (over consecutive nights), and then continue straight after into Season 2 (showing one episode, plus a repeat, each week), starting the run back in April this year. Sadly, this never emerged, for one reason or another. However, it does seem like both Seasons will be airing before the end of the year on BBC4, probably in October 2007. :clap:

The "Amazon.fr" DVD boxed set has the first season spread over 3 disc, in Dolby Digital Stereo (2.0) in French language only, with no subtitles of any kind. The series is also in 1.77:1 anamorphic widescreen as well.

Pooch

6. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Two reasons to keep my cash in my pocket then.

:)

My French is limited to ferme la porte and Oui, non and merde. Agree about foreign language TV, there must be some good quality drama out there, all we need are subtitles.

... I forgot one, ferme la mush.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Enabler,

Do you mean, "Ferme la bouche" (as in "Shut your mouth")?! :D And what about ""Ouvret la fenetre, sil-tu-plait" ("Open the window, please!") Always comes in handy, I think you'll find. :rotfl:

You also forget the great, Franglais chat-up line of all time:

"Voulez-vous couchez, avec moi, ce-soir, sil-vous-plait, vous belle Madamoiselle?"

TRANSALATION - HIGHLIGHT HERE.... "Will you sleep with me tonight, please, you beautiful woman?" :eek: :D

Pooch

8. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    No, 'mush'. Mush/face. "Shut your face." though I guess it's "Shut the face."

:lesson:

.... did I mention I'm not too good with languages?

:D

I am to the French language what Delboy is to the French language.

9. Ragnar1976

Ragnar1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if series 2 has been shown here yet?

10. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    .... or a repeat of the first as I still haven't been able to get hold of the first with English subtitles.