1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spikes/rubbers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by siy, Jul 13, 2005.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - I have a set of Mission 774 speakers that I had on normal spikes. I have just moved house, and the living room has a solid oak floor - so I didnt really want to use spikes on it.

Is there any rubber version of the spikes - oone that would screw into the thread on the speaker, so you can adjust the height of each corner?

If not, I will just have to stick some rubbers underneath, but that isnt ideal, as the plastic bit that screws on to the back of the speaker to stabilise it doesnt really have anywhere to stick them.

2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't laugh but I have heard of people using coins between the spikes and the floor with great success. Worth a go and a good way to get rid of some loose change too.

:)

3. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my Mordaunt-Short manuals it also mentions the use of coins under the spikes when the speakers are used on a wooden floor. Apparently this still allows the speakers to couple with the floor.

4. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmmmmm.... I would have thought that this would give more vibration but hey - it's worth a go. Would prefer something that looks a bit better, but lets see how it goes.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could try Floor tiles. A large thick one under each speaker helps to tighten things up very well. If it works for you, you could always get some marble ones cut to size?
    Coins do work very well as well on wooden floors.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Coins work well - you can get special little stands for the spikes to stand in which will look better than coins but not sound any better (and cost a lot more than 4p)

People do put slabs under their speakers - again a simple one from a builders merchant will work just as well as the 'designer' ones but the asthetics may not be what you are looking for.

I know with my Mission speakers the manual states that the spikes can be reversed and used with the rounded end down for hard wood floors but I dont know if yours have this option nor how effective they are if used in this way.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    B&W speakers actually come with screw in rubbers for this type of situation, maybe you could contact them as i am sure they would sell them as accessories, so long as the screw dimension is the same but it must be worth a try.

8. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perfect - that's what I was searching for...rubber screw in ones. Thanks, will try B+W

9. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    A friend sent me 2 packs ,4 in each, little black domes that the spikes sit in and they have a felt material underneath.

I know there were around £6 for a 4 pack, but they work and look fine on laminate.

Most HI-FI shops do them.