Spikes or no Spikes?

S

ScoobyDoo69

hey guys, could someone tell me the advantages of using spikes? and if I should put them on my floor standers? also what difference will this make?
cheers

ScoobyDoo69

IMHO the answer is YES I have found it tightens up the bass mainly with some improvements to the treble. Just fit them and if you dont like the new sound then take them off.

i've got laminate flooring if that helps, i'm going to try the spikes tomorrow anyways

ScoobyDoo69

Make sure you stand the speakers with spikes on some pennies or if your feeling flush £1 coins.

Pennies to save you from damaging your floor. The floor may be hard-wearing but it has no chance standing up to spikes. Trust me. I've been there.

Time spent ensuring that all four spikes are firmly planted is important, you don't want even a teansy weansy wobble. How come many manufacturers have one spike per corner, three spikes is so much easier....

Knightshade said:
Make sure you stand the speakers with spikes on some pennies or if your feeling flush £1 coins.

Eltax (possibly others) do some spikes which come complete with little penny sized discs which have a tiny little indent in the middle for the spike to fit neatly into. No idea where you'd get them from though!

Icarus,
I know your going to hate me and I know the argument for 3 spikes but i'm not so sure they'd work with speakers. I doubt the footprint is big enough to compensate for the height. Thus not giving the stability of 4 spikes. (just a thought!) :thumbsdow
Correct me if i'm wrong :laugh:

Actually....You are probably right.:eek:

I have always had smaller speakers on stands and these seem to be three spikes (mine have anyway)

Anyways......... four spikes sure is a pain

my eltax speakers came with a set of spikes that are hight adjustable (using a nut as a block)
im pretty sure you could pick some up at richer sounds for about a fiver

yes my speakers came with height adjustable spikes, and what a bugger to do they were!!firstly getting them on the pennys, and then finding the right balance, but o well, seems to have done the trick though, thanks for all the help guys, sounds that bit more crisp!

ScoobyDoo69

Any tips on getting the speaker exactly level? My right speaker still has a slight wobble even after 30 mins of fiddling. The spikes are adjustable and on pennies as I have a wooden floor. It's fun with 36 kg speakers honestly!

How do you lot manage to not get your speakers to wooble? mine are rammed into carpet from speaker base! and they still wobble when I push them a tiny bit.

Dino.

Bit of a problem this isn't it? Daneel, I have the same problem as you. Big heavy speakers and wooden flooring. After several hours I gave up! One speaker is fine. However my house being quite old and the floorboards not being what they were I decided it would be wise to lay a second floor on top of the old putting down a 9mm cushioning material between the two. Problem is it looks nice (Wife Happy) but it does mean the floor is slightly springy in places. Making it impossible for one of my speakers not to wobble!
I afraid I don't know the answer. :suicide:

BTW, I do think sound has improved so it was worth the effort. Before I put the spikes on they were very wobbly indeed! I'm sure I'll get it solid in the end.

I used have my Gale 4i's on spikes on pennies on hard flooring. Very difficult to set up. I now have them sitting on top of a couple of large ceramic floor tiles. Simply place the tile wherever you want to locate your speaker. Then gently set the speaker on top of the tile. This also has an added benefit of improving the sound quality from your speakers all round. My base response improved dramatically.

For those people with carpeted floors, I recommend placing a couple of paving slabs under each speaker. A friend of mine done this a couple of years ago and she couldn't believe the dramatic difference it made to the sound of her TDL speakers.

Ceramic tiles and paving slabs are cheep enough. Experiment. You may find that it works for you too.

mdinch said:
I used have my Gale 4i's on spikes on pennies on hard flooring. Very difficult to set up. I now have them sitting on top of a couple of large ceramic floor tiles. Simply place the tile wherever you want to locate your speaker. Then gently set the speaker on top of the tile. This also has an added benefit of improving the sound quality from your speakers all round. My base response improved dramatically.

For those people with carpeted floors, I recommend placing a couple of paving slabs under each speaker. A friend of mine done this a couple of years ago and she couldn't believe the dramatic difference it made to the sound of her TDL speakers.

Ceramic tiles and paving slabs are cheep enough. Experiment. You may find that it works for you too.

Thank's for the tip mdinch.Any idea where I could buy paving slabs though?

Great idea Mdinch, :smashin:
But I don't want to take my floor up. :rolleyes: I don't think my wife will appreciate it very much... Great advice. If I ever have carpet a'll remember paving slabs!
Thanks

dinoprada, you should be able to find paving slabs at any good DIY store like B&Q or a good garden centre.

Kightshade, I have hard wood flooring and I have my speaker on a couple large floor tiles. You don't have to take the floor up. Just place the tiles on the floor where your speakers are located (no cementing, adhesive or grouting required), then sit your speakers on top of them and your done. Sit back and enjoy.

One slight problem mdinch, WAF. I can't imagine her being to impressed with floor tiles in the room! I can see this costing me money...... :suicide: I do like the idea though. :thumbsup:

Kightshade, I can appreciate that convincing your wife might cost you a bit but you should be able to get a couple of floor tiles for under £10. I bought mine from Tops Tiles for £3.99 each.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom