1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spikes on wooden floor?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smarty, Dec 8, 2004.

1. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What do people use when standing speakers with spiked feet on wood floors?
    Is there anything for sale made for the job or do people make up their own?
    Thanks

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    got any one pence coins? ;) or if you want to be flash, pound coins :D

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    left over Euro or US cents do a nice job but to be patriotic the 2p coin is excellent, is it treason if the queens head is up or down tho??????

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have these 1.5 in diameter shallow cones with an inverted nipple (the spike sits in the dimple), made out of brass. Don't know where you'd find them, as I got these in a hifi accessory place in Singapore - about 75p equivalent each. Nice thing is that they have very smooth, flat bottoms, so once everything is levelled out, you can slide the lot (very slowly, very carefully) for fine adjustments. I apologise if this post borders on the censorable ;)

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nice one mylo,or with reference to the recent Chavs thread,maybe sovereigns for those.

Another possibility is to use the oak cones that Russ Andrews sells,although they aren't cheap,they won't wreck wooden floors.

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Well, maybe the Russ Andrews feet won't wreck the floor, but for that price, I'd be expecting a huge sticker on them saying 'Russ Andrews Feet - They Sound Greet'. The web site has a link to a review which I didn't go to - have these things really been sonically tested??
    Most good hi fi shops will sell 'inverted nipple' thingies, which are often either brass or brass effect plastic (and look quite nice under spikes) or as mentioned earlier, coins will do the job but are not quite so pretty.
    And if you can tell the difference in sound between any of the options, you are very sad for trying!

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Had same problem. Coins may still mark the floor depending on the weight of the speaker and the wood. Anyway try audiophilecandy.com I got Atacama Spike shoes from them and they are just the job. Cost roughly £25.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm sure there's money to be made here.....:)

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    2p coins are better than 10p coins - as they're better for the sound as the copper can conduct better...probably... :laugh: :rolleyes:

10. Green Man

Green Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise in advance for my ignorance here but......do spikes make that much of a difference?
    1) What about leaving the speakers free-standing on the floor?
    2) What about using blue tac instead of spikes? This had the added advantage of making lightweight floor standers more stable.
    Are these options a no-no sound-wise? Will it make a noticeable difference and, if so, why?

11. SilverNinja

SilverNinja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the spikes were to stick the stands into the floor? Like golf shoes?

;)

12. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm actually using 2p coins covered in felt to protect the floor which work well but just look a bit cheap.

In terms of sound - in my experience the spikes made a huge difference to the sound quality. I have KEF Q55.2s (floorstanders) and they came with spikes and also little half dome rubber feet that could be used instead of the spikes. I used the rubber feet at first because of the floor but then found the 2p coin trick. I took the rubber feet off and put the spikes on and the difference was very noticable straight away. The bass was so much tighter and punchier than when it was on the rubber feet. It just seemed to "solidify" everything, if you know what I mean. Seemed to have a smidgin more clarity too but it was the bass that really stood out.

So, if you have a choice, I would definitely recommend using spikes.

Just as a final point, someone on this forum is currently using slate place mats from Argos to stand their spiked speakers on which looked quite good. I might try this as well.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This is yet another rather contentious issue.
    Spikes are mainly for use with carpet. The idea being they go through the soft carpet and into the concrete or wooden floor beneath. Thus making a stable platform for the speaker. This can be further enhanced by mass loading the stands or floorstanding cabinets. Some people I know have placed weights on top of the speakers to increase the weight and stability.
    The problems arise when wooden floors are introduced. Not many people are happy about the idea of 'spiking' there speakers into an, often expensive, wooden floor. So how do you get round it? Coins work, as do the other options mentioned. Another way would be to put a ceramic or marble floor tile down and then put the speaker on top of them.
    The important thing is to get the speaker stable. If it's able to wobble the bass may become distorted. The more firmly positioned the speaker, the better it will sound.
    If you don't mind having 2p's on the floor then I would suggest this would be sufficient.

Green man,
    I wouldn't recommend sitting the speakers directly on the floor else the floor will become an extention of your speaker. Seperating the two would be good!
    I've used blu tack to seat standmounts onto stands but never a speaker to the floor.

14. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    So, in theory, you could anchor the speaker stands securely somehow, lots of blutac, or even bolting to a solid block of stone or concrete, and then install spikes at the top on which to place the speakers themselves. Would this be an option worth considering?

15. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a set of these little "cones" made by IXOS. The best thing about these is that there is a little dimple in which to place the spikes at the top of the cone. The cones have a smooth bottom which means that once in place the whole speaker/stand combination can be easily moved around the floor. These ones actually had adhesive on the bottom, but I just left the backing on the adhesive.

I originally used one penny coins but adjusting the position of the speakers while on the coins was a real pain - the spikes kept slipping off the coins and scratching my precious wooden floor :(

Mat

16. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Just had a look at these..the words 'money' and old rope' spring to mind!
    Are they any good?

Got me thinking now as I have a wood lathe in the shed and the oak to make a set of these would set me back about £1......

17. nigill

nigill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya,

Cheap and smart solution is to go to somewhere like Matalan and buy a set of slate dinner mats. They're generally big enough for floor standers and contrast well with a wooden floor. They have rubber feet to protect the floor as well.

Since they are solid themselves, no transfer of energy from the speaker down to the floor through the spikes.

Can't exactly remember but I think I paid 10 quid for four so have some spare when I need them.

Cheers,
    Nige C

18. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I used to use marble tiles(tiny felt pads between floor and tile ) before the Atacama spike shoes. Worked fine but tended to make the sound a touch harder IMHO.

19. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used these 'spike shoes' and in my case they definately made a difference. I had been using 2p pieces on my wooden floor, and these work great if you are only worried about scratching the floor.
    However my problem was that the floorstanders would always wobble, even o the coins.
    I bought the spike shoes on the condition that I could bring them back if not satisfied ( I had serious doubts that they would work). However they worked great! No wobbling at all, no movement of the cabinet, so for me they worked a treat.

20. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You could do worse than these - seem to be expensive, but maybe they fit the bill....

Ixos Layerdisc

and sold as a pack of 8 so enough for two stands.

21. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They're half the price of 8 Atacama shoes so look good.

Anybody tried them?

22. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They look like a good idea - the price is nothing really when you compare it to the cost of the kit.

23. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased them so I will let you know how they fier Vs 1p, 2p 10p & pound coins

They look good at least!!

Matt

24. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Reply here once you've had a chance to try them out.

25. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What have I started?!!

26. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smarty, Jit, Techno et al,

Received the Ixos 304 Layerdisc "spike shoes" today & have to agree with Dvdsubtitles & belgrade that they are worth the £14 quid they cost.

The dimples make them easy to set up (& keep them in set up) & if you keep the adhesive backing on they're easy to slide into position when searching for that perfect spot.

I'd have to say that I didn't notice a great deal of difference between these "shoes" & the coins but as far as convenience is concern they're much easier to live with as you can slide the speakers on a wooden floor.

However, I did feel less rumble through the floor board (having a few problems with my suspended floor boards) with the shoes though, probobly due to the sticky felt back acting as a dampner? this could all be :censored: though?

Anyone else have more top-tips on tightning up the bass & opening up the mid-range when sat on suspended, exposed wooden floor boards?

Cheers all
    Matt :beer:

27. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    You could also try these all in one spikes at around £35 for a set of four delivered. Had some very good reviews in the usual magazines if that counts for anything. As they have an outer casing once installed you can still move the speakers around quite comfortably (they have felt undersides as well) -

http://www.soundcare.no/store-bilder/BIGSP1.jpg

28. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I was quite worried about this, but luckily, Quad supplied shoes for the spikes, if only all manufacturers were as thoughtful :)

29. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Granite slabs from Argos :D my speakers are spiked and have the little metal cups to stand the spikes in. I have laminate floor and the slabs really seemed to improve the sound, plus they look cool. Having 10kg+ of sand in each speaker base helps as well :smoke: The slabs have felt pads on the underside now as well.

see here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/article.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=184

30. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Don't suppose you have spikes at the top of the stands, upon which to seat the speakers - this should give some more isolation and subsequent improvements. If you have, then unless you already have solid, heavily loaded stands, you could look at some on the market right now to see if replacing these might help. I have never tried concrete, granite etc., but have a friend who swears by breeze blocks (look kind of cool in an industrial kind of way)..... Also, maybe look at the cabling and see if you can find a better one for the sound you need. When I replaced my B&W with Proac, the Nordost cable, which was perfect for the B&W's, was crap for the Proacs. After some (expensive) experimenting, I have settled on Ecosse biwire which matches the sound I like - good midrange, clear treble, controlled bass. Or you could look at the amplification and invest in some dedicated power amps to bi-amp the speakers, or.... ahhhhh stop, this is a neverending journey of financial hell and constant searching for the last, last upgrade... it always starts with a simple suggestion and ends up with a second mortgage!