1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spikes on a laminate floor

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Igwiz, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I think I have decided on a Alphason audio stand for my equipment. My only concern is it has spiked feet and it will be sitting on laminate flooring. What can you suggest I do to protect the floor without compromising the benefit of the spikes?

Cheers,

Ig

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Do you still play vinyl ? If you don't, there is little to be gained in the use of spikes, since there is little else in a sound system that is likely to be microphonic. If you do still play vinyl, or still want sound damping, then squash balls cut in half are supposed to be very good.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Being a total cheapskate you could try out pennies under the spikes, it does the job quite nicely.
    You may find this thread useful:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169500

Personally I've been unable to hear the benefit of isolating the rack unless you use vinyl or your CD player is ridiculously sensitive.
    In saying that my rack weighs in at about 90KG. The speakers are on concrete plinths isolated from the rest of the room (this did make a big difference!)