Question Spike isolation

speed1268

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All , Just wanting thoughts on isolation between ATC 40 spikes and a granite base!
Looking forward to hearing opinions :thumbsup:

Your question is a bit vague that will not encourage a lot of responses.

These are you speakers?

What kind of floors will the speaker be on? Bare wood? Concrete? Carpet? Rug? Other?

Just out of curiosity, what is the other equipment in your system?

What are the Dimensions of the Room?

Generally Speaker Spikes are also referred to as Carpet Spikes, they are meant to reach down through thick carpet or rugs to the solid floor underneath.

Alternately, you would put a granite base under the Spikes to protect a finished wood floor. Though there are Spike Shoes, small metal disks, that can be placed under the Spikes to protect a wood floor.

Following on with that, I would be inclined to ask, in your mind, what is the purpose of the Granite base?

Speaker Spikes concentrate the weight of the speakers on very small points, so the Weight Per Square Inch is very high.

The Granite base would be, to some extent, for Isolation, however, the Spikes themselves would be for Coupling. Coupling meaning to make such concentrated contact between the speakers and the floor that they are essential coupled into one thing.

If you are on a Floating Floor, it is possible for the Spikes to couple to that floor which is akin to a drum head, and cause the entire floor to resonate, is a situation like this, you might want to explore Decoupling the speakers and floor. Also, with a Floating Floor, it is possible to drive vibration down in the floor where it will then travel back up into your equipment cabinet and cause your components to vibrate, which may or may not be a problem.

So, we need some more details about what you are actually doing and why to determine if your method will be effective.

Likely, if you are simply trying to spare your nice wood floor from scratches, then a granite base might have value, but you have to ask, what will you put between the Granite Base and the Floors? That is will the underside of the granite have small feet, Felt, Rubber, Foam, or other?

Again, far too few details on what you have and what you are trying to accomplish for anyone to comment.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi, And thanks for your help. I’m really just tinkering :eek:
The house is circa 2003 and according to the Boss the floor is some sort of corrugated metal with boards , it does feel fairly solid! Doesn’t seem to add anything with the system as such.
I had some smaller stand mounts which improved on the plinths so thought I’d do the same, The spikes decouple onto a smaller rubber in anodised metal disc! I was looking at this really but definitely don’t want to spend silly money!
The room is approx 14ft sq, the main support a Stands Unique AV10 with extra plinth, Recent NAD t778 purchased sat on 4 x Sorbothane blocks.
Ultimately now with Dirac up and running it all sounds very good was just thinking that the metal disc isn’t very substantial!
Cheers speed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 188
I always found it incredibly inconvenient and stressful trying to moving a heavy speaker or sub with spikes, trying to get it in positioned to sit on those little spike shoes whilst trying not to damage anything.even just making incremental position changes trying to get it spot on whilst not snagging the carpet is a PITA.

Now I use these everwhere I used to use spikes. Pricey but best of all worlds.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I agree, those "Superspikes" from Soundcare seem to be the answer, if somewhat expensive for real budget speakers

Nice.. I’m guessing they work well under a weighty speaker?

cheers

I always found it incredibly inconvenient and stressful trying to moving a heavy speaker or sub with spikes, trying to get it in positioned to sit on those little spike shoes whilst trying not to damage anything.even just making incremental position changes trying to get it spot on whilst not snagging the carpet is a PITA.

Now I use these everwhere I used to use spikes. Pricey but best of all worlds.
Do you know if Soundcare spikes can be used with Dali Oberon 5? I’ve just those spikes before. But I can’t find any info if they accept M8,M6 spikes.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Do you know if Soundcare spikes can be used with Dali Oberon 5? I’ve just those spikes before. But I can’t find any info if they accept M8,M6 spikes.
Could you measure the diameter of the old spikes? Double check but I think M6=6mm and m8=8mm. I think those are the two most common sizes used for speaker spikes.

Could you measure the diameter of the old spikes? Double check but I think M6=6mm and m8=8mm. I think those are the two most common sizes used for speaker spikes.
I’ll do that. The Oberon 7 have two foots/plinths under each speaker. There were of course spikes with them,but no shoe you put under them, just some glue foots. Otherwise they are great speakers. The spikes that came with seems too be either 6mm, or 8 mm, so almost 1 cm in diameter. I need to order some super spikes, because I sold mine a few years back:facepalm:. And they do help, no snake oil!

Last edited:
Hi, Anymore for anymore?
Thanks to everyone so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom