Spielberg's Boom Blox - Discussion Thread & Opinion Poll

• Thread starter Deleted member 65413
  • Start date

How do you rate Spielberg's Boom Blox? (please vote only after using)

• 6 (Above average)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (Average)

• 4 (Below average)

• 2 (Very poor)

• 1 (Appalling)

• Total voters

Moogle

Distinguished Member
It's one of those games that has been getting a lot of positive feedback over the past few months and the reviews so far have been pretty good. I wasn't sure whether to get it until I had a chance to play it over the weekend and I was very impressed by it.

I've placed an order for the US version which hopefully should be shipping today and I should get it on Saturday or Monday. It has over 300 single player levels as well as multi player including co-op and a level editor which allows you to upload your own levels. It makes great use of the remote and I'm really looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 65413

Sounds good Moogle. Going by the reviews and previews its meant to be a real laugh as well. Ill probably check it out tomorrow and see what price i can get it for.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Yeh i must admit having seen the adverts on TV i wasnt too blown away but ive read a helluva lot of positive reviews via metacritic and looks like this is another great game to pick up!

Might have to trade in some games to get this! Ill root through my collection and see what games i havent played in a while!

addyb

Distinguished Member
Anyone picked this up yet? Im really tempted to go to my local blockbusters and trade a few games for it!!

addyb

Distinguished Member
Will be buying it later i reckon.

After reading some more reviews i think im gonna pick this up from my local blockbuster.

Im gonna get rid of Ghost squad and mario and sonic olympics as i havent played them for mths and my mate owns them as well so can always play them when i want anyway!

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Anyone picked this up yet? Im really tempted to go to my local blockbusters and trade a few games for it!!

Mine is still on it's way as I had to import the US version. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Monday. After reading more reviews and forum feedback on other forums and having played it last weekend I'm really looking forward to it. I think the irony is in EA of all companies releasing such a cracking good game in the first place. ;) :D

addyb

Distinguished Member
Mine is still on it's way as I had to import the US version. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Monday. After reading more reviews and forum feedback on other forums and having played it last weekend I'm really looking forward to it. I think the irony is in EA of all companies releasing such a cracking good game in the first place. ;) :D

Well you know when i first heard it was EA that was what put me off but i havent seen a bad review of this yet!

Im off for a walk to my local blockbuster now to see if they have it in!!

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking of getting his title.
Has anyone seen any offers?
There is this one in France but I can't find any here in the UK.

http://www.cdiscount.com/search/boo...f-1034602-5030931060984.html?search=boom+blox

shopto.net has it for £29.99.

http://www.shopto.net/page.php

amazon.co.uk has it for £29.98.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1210335890&sr=1-1

play.com has it for £29.99.

http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/3595099/Boom-Blox/Product.html

gameplay.com has it for £29.99.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=NW0229

I think that is the cheapest you're going to find it.

L

Luxorjr

Thanks for the posting.
I'd seen all the price discount offers. I was hoping for any news on freebies.
The French offer includes a Boom Blox themed Jenga.

Ratinho

Played this at a friends earlier. It's okay, seems like it could be fairly deep with the creation but it's just another solid puzzler. Cute though.

Can't help but think if you removed the 'Spielberg's' it'd do about as well as Mercury Meltdown and other decent puzzle games.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the posting.
I'd seen all the price discount offers. I was hoping for any news on freebies.
The French offer includes a Boom Blox themed Jenga.

Sorry I didn't realize that is what you meant. I haven't seen any such special freebie offers with any UK retailers. I'm surprised though none of them are offering the same thing.

Played this at a friends earlier. It's okay, seems like it could be fairly deep with the creation but it's just another solid puzzler. Cute though.

Can't help but think if you removed the 'Spielberg's' it'd do about as well as Mercury Meltdown and other decent puzzle games.

Granted I've only played it for a few hours last weekend but I would have to disagree with that. IMO there is a lot more to it then other puzzle games and the use of the remote is much better integrated especially the levels of power you can use as well as the level of precision. With the number of levels, the multi player as well as the level editor there is a lot to the game. I even doubt a lot of people out there are aware that Spielberg had input in the game all be it pretty limited. I think it will do a lot better then those other so called puzzle games on the Wii and both the the reviews and user feedback has shown that will be the case. The only issue I foresee is it coming out so close to Wii Fit which may be a detriment to it's sales. That would be a real shame.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Well just picked this up from my local blockbuster and got a surprisingly good deal for a change!

It retailed at £34.99 so i traded in mario & sonic olympics and only had to add £8 of my own money for it so effectively they valued mario & sonic at £27!!

Gonna grab some dinner and watch new ep of lost and then try this bad boy out!

Ratinho

It controls better than the other puzzlers, can't argue with that. All seems a little basic too me but to be fair, without playing a lot farther into the puzzles, i can't tell really. Not sure how far you've played into the game at this stage but don't see how anyone can be convinced by the first bunch. The physics and controls are terrific though yeah, just can't praise something for getting to grips with the Wii scheme if the underlying game is lacking.

And it's received massive coverage due to the Spielberg thing tbh. Much more than it would have otherwise.

D

Deleted member 65413

I see what you mean about the Spielberg connection but if its a decent, fun title then there is nothing wrong. If it was poor then that would be a different matter.

addyb

Distinguished Member
It controls better than the other puzzlers, can't argue with that. All seems a little basic too me but to be fair, without playing a lot farther into the puzzles, i can't tell really. Not sure how far you've played into the game at this stage but don't see how anyone can be convinced by the first bunch. The physics and controls are terrific though yeah, just can't praise something for getting to grips with the Wii scheme if the underlying game is lacking.

And it's received massive coverage due to the Spielberg thing tbh. Much more than it would have otherwise.

Well considering there are 300 levels i would expect quite a lot of the earlier levels will be basic and get considerably tougher near the end!

Anyway smoke time and then im gonna try it out and post back my initial thoughts!

Ratinho

Really? Would never have thought.

My mate's had it hours and was already through something like 50-60 and made the point about how simple it had been when i started. Wasn't very difficult at that point either.

Wasn't criticising the SS link. They used it well.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Really? Would never have thought.

My mate's had it hours and was already through something like 50-60 and made the point about how simple it had been when i started. Wasn't very difficult at that point either.

Wasn't criticising the SS link. They used it well.

LOL i wasnt saying that as if you didnt know that wise ass!! :devil:

Well ive played it for over an hour and done about 20 levels and im enjoying it so far! Some of the levels so far have been tricky to complete in one throw but like anything else its trial and error until you find a sweet spot. It also took me a few goes to complete a level called "plumber" as you really have to choose your shots wisely!

So far so good and even though ive only had an hours playtime im impressed so far and cant wait to try out the multiplayer!

Moogle

Distinguished Member

Again I have to disagree. I don't know about the mainstream but the gaming press has been covering it as much as they are because it's a pretty good game and deserves the coverage. I think you're giving way too much credit to the Spielberg angle. Even without it it would have got same amount and level of feedback it has been because the underlying game is good and not some shovelware put together to try and cash in on the casual Wii market. It's certainly one of the best third party games released on the Wii so far.

avolee

damn i wish i had bought this today but when i went into game and bought my 3rd wii(don`t ask) they had just got mario kart back in and i had wii fit reserved. just didn`t have enough cash on me.:(

addyb

Distinguished Member
Again I have to disagree. I don't know about the mainstream but the gaming press has been covering it as much as they are because it's a pretty good game and deserves the coverage. I think you're giving way too much credit to the Spielberg angle. Even without it it would have got same amount and level of feedback it has been because the underlying game is good and not some shovelware put together to try and cash in on the casual Wii market. It's certainly one of the best third party games released on the Wii so far.

Yep i agree, i took my copy round to my mates last night and he usually hates these types of games but he was hooked instantly and we played multiplayer the majority of the night. Multiplayer is a blast and lots of fun. In fact id say its probably the best multiplayer game ive played on the wii so far.

My throwing arm is aching this morning as well! Not felt like that since i hammered wii bowling when i first got my wii!

BIGRED

picked this up yesterday , fantastic game , been playing through the jenga inspired games on competitive with my g/f ........ ssssoooooo much fun !!!! loving it , first time i have played anything since getting GTA 4!!! Can see Boom Blox being a good game for having people over to play ..... boom blox & beer = fun :thumbsup:

addyb

Distinguished Member
picked this up yesterday , fantastic game , been playing through the jenga inspired games on competitive with my g/f ........ ssssoooooo much fun !!!! loving it , first time i have played anything since getting GTA 4!!! Can see Boom Blox being a good game for having people over to play ..... boom blox & beer = fun :thumbsup:

Yep multiplayer is a blast!

I took it round to my mates at weekend and a few lads were there. They started taking the pi55 saying whats this **** and then 10 mins later they were hooked and some great multi player battles commenced!

Im so pleased with this game mainly due to the fact that i personally thought it was going to be crap when i saw some demos and then with EA attached to it i thought the worst.

How wrong could i have been. The physics on this game are spot on and just experimenting with different angles/power give drastically different results.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution