• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Spiders! Is it worth me getting a Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Di Lens?

guy_incognito

Hi,

I have a Sony A200 with kit lens (18-70mm) plus a Sony 75-300mm lens. For my macro shots I went with the budget option of the Kenko 3 Ring Extension Tube Set (Amazon.com: Kenko Extension Tube Set DG Auto Minolta: Camera & Photo)

Below are some test shots, resized obviously, but with no cropping. My question is will the Tamron 90mm (Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Di Lens) allow me to get "closer" or will it just produce similar-sized pictures that are better in terms of sharpness and so on? And yes, these test shots are boring in terms of composition etc, and quite noisy!

308299-albums343-picture1932.jpg

308299-albums343-picture1931.jpg

Additional pics (cropped etc) here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/phot...g-sony-a200-plus-macro-tubes.html#post9589328

Thanks.

guy_incognito

just out of curiosity, how close were you to the spider?

Lens was about 2 or 3 inches away - first spider is about an half an inch in size, second one about an inch.

jomike

Yes, a Tamron 90mm macro (or any other 1:1 prime macro) will give you sharper shots than this, although these are not bad for a zoom lens. It will probably not get you much closer on its own as it is 1:1 (an object 24mm by 17mm should fill the frame on a crop sensor) but you can use your Kenko tubes on the macro lens to get to between 2:1 and 3:1 and not lose much sharpness, just working distance.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom