1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiderman

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eel, May 30, 2002.

1. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read there is a chance Spidey won't be out on DVD untill next year!!!! Does anyone know any different?

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno, but the VCD's out, I've just watched a bit!

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should report the VCD to FACT as it is an illegal copy.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "You should report the VCD to FACT as it is an illegal copy."

I'll also inform the police I did 80mph on the motorway last week while I'm at it.

Surely I deserve another 3 points and a fine by now.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    lucky you've got that Tosh 510 to watch VCDs on,

Hate to think you wasted money buying a decent dvd player to watch VHS quality films.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not going to watch the film off VCD.

In a classic situation, I was lent it with the promise of the quality being 'excellent'.

My definition would be more along the lines of 'sh*ite'.

It proves everything I continue to maintain to be true about VCDs.
    I watched a 2 minute clip and hated it. It looked like a 15 year old VHS tape recording of a 50's film off a signal from an indoor ariel.

And the sound was cool too. You can recreate the same effect by playing a regulat DVD through your system but making sure there's someone flusing a toilet nearby and that you hold a cushion over each ear.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    You belittle the seriousness of video piracy and speeding.
    And don't take the Mickey out of moderators when they are in a roundabout way, friendlily pointing out that talk promoting illegal material - naturally including pirate VCDs - is against the forum rules.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your points, sorry for taking the mickey but, if you read my previous post I hardly think I'm 'promoting' pirate copies. Far from it.

9. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am not saying for one moment that piracy is a good thing but isn't it just consumers getting their own back on the fat cats who rip us off left, right and centre with inflated CD costs and DVD prices. Here in England we are charged double what you guys in the USA would pay for a disc. Now all of a sudden people are copying music and copying movies onto VCD and they don't like it.

One a slightly different subject the reason loads of people are getting a VCD of Spidey is that they are not prepared to wait untill next year to see the film at home. I understand that there is still some serious money to be made through keeping the movie going at the cinema but in the long run it would have been a better idea releasing the movie on DVD in time for christmas.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is, everything in Britain is over-priced so it doesn't really excuse piracy.

I honestly believe a large part of it is that there will always be a certain section of film fans that want to see the big films first... in the case of Spiderman you could see it two to three weeks before it hit UK cinemas.

Combine that with the fact that an average trip to the cinema for two now weighs in at anywhere from £11 to £20 if you buy snacks, buying the VCD for £11 seems like a good idea to some.

Personally I think it's pointless to have studios spend multi-million pounds on effects and production, us to spend thousands on decent AV kit and then watch something that's worse quality than a VHS tape.

I do however think that piracy is in fact quite a money spinner for the film companies. I was going to see Spidey at the cinema and then *maybe* get the DVD when it comes out. Now I've seen 2 mins of the VCD, I'm intent on seeing it properly at the cinema and will definitely buy the DVD also, because it looks like it'll be a great Saturday night home theatre demo/popcorn movie.

The guy I borrowed the copy from also said he'd be pre-ordering the official disc the minute he can. So, there's always two sides to these things...

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Also got a lend of a copy of it on VCD this week. Haven't watched it yet although the brother tells me its rubbish. To add my opinion to the debate about piracy, I think that if I watched it and thought it was a good film then I'd buy the original DVD anyway when it comes out so the film company will get their money in the end if the films any good. Also back up the post above about the fact that people will buy VCDs cos they want to watch it at home NOW. The quality on most is dodgy but you can generally see the film OK and after all thats whats important. You don't expect to watch a pirate VCD and get DVD quality sound and picture. And as for the high and almighty ground about moderators telling us to report piracy - c'mon fellas. Are they saying they have never watched a pirate video/vcd or listened to or own a copied CD. We all have. I think a way to cut down on piracy is to reduce their prices to affordable levels. It has been said before but I will not buy a pirated CD for £4 when I could buy the original with better sound quality and proper booklet for £8. But we are still getting charged £15 for some CDs in the big shops. Rant over.

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can one of you mods either close this thread or relable it as 'VCD Piracy debate' as its now WAY OFF TOPIC....

cheers.

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SOK,

because you sem unable to work it out for yourself let me state the obvious: Pirate copies of films are illegal - you cannot discuss or in any way endorse the use of illegal material on this web site for incredibly obvious reasons!

Get it?

14. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Lex

I realise that pirate copies of films are illegal and as such should not be debated on this site. Maybe I should just have said that I heard that the films poor. But I do think that you should admit that you have watched a pirated film in your time or listened to a pirate CD. And lets be honest, if a mate lends you a copy of a pirated film you aren't going to 'shop' him, are you?

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Again you are totally missing the point! My opinion is irrelevant - you cannot discuss/promote pirate material on this site! How many more ways can I say it?!? :rolleyes:

I have never watched a pirated film - I have been offered copies of LOTR, Spiderman, Episode II and many other films which I was really eager to see. I turned them all down without hesitation as I have absolutely no interest in watching these films this way - I want to see them in good quality with decent sound, not some crappy transfer from some morons video camera!

16. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

perhaps you missed my post the first time...

17. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Point taken Lex.

18. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its going to happen no matter what anyone says! Whether thats a good or bad thing is besides the point. Now back to my original question!

19. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying a VCD is never a good idea. You are really contributing to piracy, buy funding them. I am not in anyone condoning this practice but these films are easily downloadable from usenet for free. The groups that release these films do so free of charge and as long as you have the bandwidth you can get them. I got the 3 disk svcd of star wars ep2, after I had seen it at the cinema and it will become redundant once I have the DVD. Lucas has had his money out of me but I can still enjoy the film. The quality of these releases varies widely, I had 2 versions of Spiderman one was subtitled and very poor, the other another 3 disker was very good. NEVER EVER put money in the pockets of people peddling things they got for free.

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "NEVER EVER put money in the pockets of people peddling things they got for free."

That's me not paying my water bill from now on then :D

22. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol but I do like my water clean. ;)

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Lol but I do like my water clean"

Unlike the content of most of your VCD collection :p

You are right though, why pay people for this stuff when it's simple enough to get for free.

I saw Spidey at the cinema last night, the 2 min sequence I did watch off VCD looked a million times better (obviously) and I'm glad I waited to see it 'properly'.

Really, really hated that 'You fight one of us, you fight all of us' line though, that scene was so un-Raimi/Koepp, it must have been put in at the studio's request after the well publicised removal of the Twin Towers scene and to provide the Yanks with the necessary patriotic fervour they've come to expect from their films.

(A bit like the gratuitous US flag shot at the end).

24. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to confess that I did not wait to see Spidey at the cinema because I hate playing second fiddle to the USA and having to wait for their 2nd hand prints, just so the studio can save money. Lucas made that mistake with The Phantom Menace and by the time it hit these shores everyone and their dog had had a copy of it. Lo and behold this time an almost worldwide release. I will however also be buying Spidey on DVD as I really enjoyed it. I may yet head to UCI on cheap night to view the scratchy old print. :mad:

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on again Metallifux. I went to see it last night as Tuesdays are 'cheap' night at our local Cineworld... although I hesitate to use the word 'cheap' regarding a place that charges £2.80 for a SMALL bag of popcorn!

My 'cheap' night comprised:

£7.80 for two beers and a V&O for the girlfriend before hand
    £5.60 (£2.80 x 2) for popcorn
    £6.40 (£3.20 x 2) for the tickets

So, a total of £19.80... approximately £3.80 more than the DVD will cost me!

....and the print WAS awful. :rolleyes:

26. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope that Mr. Lucas' one man crusade for digital projection eventually pays off and puts an end to us being the poor relation to America. I know they make the films but they still expect us to watch them. I remember going to the local Warner Village cinema to see The Exorcist about 12 years ago. It was the first time I was going to get to see this then banned classic. When I arrived with my fiver in hand the girl on the counter said "That will be one pound please as it's an old scratchy print" Open mouthed I handed over my money got my change and went and watched the film on a print possibly marginally worse than your average 2 month old print from the States. Hmmm can't see that happening with Spidey somehow. At least if we do all go digital, concurrent releases will no longer be a problem. I remember reading that films will be distributed across 7 DVD's.

27. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sam cut "the gratuitous US flag shot at the end" to a minimum, I guess if it were Spiely it would have seen Spidey waving the flag to a full length " God Bless America", so be thankful.

28. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "so be thankful"

I'd have been 'thankful' if he'd cut it altogether. Still, I guess he didn't want to bite the hand that feeds him too much.

It just seemed a shame to have those tacky elements so clumsily inserted/left in.

Did anyone else think the Oscorp 'Gas Chamber' set looked really cheap for such an expensive production? The comments I've read about the opening titles were proved correct also, what were they thinking?!?

Thought the storyline was excellent though and the acting (apart from Aunt May) was spot on. DaFoe was genius as the Goblin. The final fight sequence was brilliantly filmed too.

29. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont want to get involved in moral or legal debate but i just wanted to say that i think its a misconception to say that all pirates are poorer quality. E.g i watched a copy of Spidey about 3-4weeks ago that was S-VHS quality. I also remember watching a copy of Enemy at the gates several weeks be4 it came out and it had AC3. BTW i have actually seen (payed to) both films @ the cinema since.

30. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hmmm...
    In Brief.

Like the opening titles. Worked ok for me.

Acting - pretty average by everyone.

Story... - very saturday morning matinee....

Fight scenes... As soon as I saw Spidey and the Green Goblin match up for the first time in the square I expected the Power Rangers to suddenly appear.

Those of you who LOVE spiderman will enjoy this movie..

Those that arent will probably think its a very late addition to the more established Batman, Superman, X-Men Franchise.

This movie works for one reason only.... its Spiderman. Change the name to webboy or something and it becomes a pants movie.

IMHO.

Regards