1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiderman

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Ignatious, May 20, 2002.

1. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam Raimi. You have messed up. I can't believe how bad this movie is. It looks like a made for TV pilot. The special effects are laughable. The plot has more holes than swiss cheese and, crime of crimes, it's plain dull.

To be fair, there are a few minutes of goodness, but on the whole I could not wait for the credits.

My opinion, of course.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I haven’t seen the film, but I’m looking forward to it, but from the snippets have seen the special affects did look a little dodge, or not up to modern standards.

3. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the film was great like, toby maguire does a class job of spidey and petey, my only complaint really was defoe when he was ponceing about as the green goblin, when he really looked like a power rangers rip off.

4. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the film was pretty good. The effects were a little poor and the Goblin costume sucked! Apart from that it was good fun!

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Finished watching it last night and enjoyed it a lot,some real funny pieces,the special effects are sometimes a bit obvious but I tend to think it add`s to the whole comic book approach,same goes for the angle of some of the shots - i.e. = full face filling screen/right out of a comic book - Sam Ramini done good :D enjoyed this far more than that `Episode of the clones`thingy,it is just a good summer blockbuster,really enjoyable popcorn/leave your brain in the foyer type flick.

6. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I accept that this is a 'leave your brain' outside type of movie, but it could have been so good. It reminded me of the batman movies, without their style or mood.

The plot was weak. Why exactly were the Goblin and Spiderman fighting? What exactly was the goblin up to? What was with the suit? I thought 'power rangers', when I saw it too!

The moment that the film really lost it for me was when Macy Gray turned up. Which 'suit' thought that would be good for sales? As soon as you try to link a comic book type film to the real world, then it loses it, as far as I am concerned. I was prepared to forgive the awful product placement, (Dr Pepper, anyone?) but sticking a real 'pop star' in is a bit too far, in my book.

I really wanted to like this film, I loved Spidey as a kid and still read the occasional comic, but expected much more.

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah have to admit the Dr Pepper was really over the top :eek: and Macy `marge simson`Gray - what was that all about :rolleyes: I take it she is on the roster of whichever company has a hand in bankrolling this puppy ;) does she have a new album out by any chance :devil:

8. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Macy Gray playing herself? She played quite a good bit part in Training Day... didn't realise it was her until the credits...

9. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, yes, Macy Gray is playing herself. A special guest appearance? Boo.

Is anything more guaranteed to date a film? Imagine this in two years time.

10. Amarok

Amarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just watched this on DVD and was expecting the usual cliche as I have heard off a few people that it was not very good.I was pleasently supprised as I think its fantatsic!.I love its quirkyness and the way it plays away from the usual format.

I like the way they used a normal looking guy to play Parker instead of the usual pretty lead actor.He has his own qualities and did an excellent job of the role.

Ok,some of the effects were a bit obviously computer generated but so what?,it still ads to the comic book feel.I think the editor of the Globe was hillarious and Will Dafoe was excellent,especially his laugh.

The characters had more depth than the usual blockbuster and I cant belive that the girl that was in Jumanji has grown up so fast.

All in all a wonderfull film that keeps you entertained.

I think this knocks spots off the Bataman films which were awfull in my opinion.:D

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Personally one of the cinema highlights last year. Just goes to show how tastes differs, far better than AOTC.

I thought the special effects were ok, it definately was a comic book film, and if you don't like comic book films then you will hate it.

12. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spider-man was one of the best comic to film adaptations I've seen. Sam Raimi captured the spirit of the original comic perfectly. I thought Dafoe was superb as the Green Goblin. If they'd have put him in purple lycra with a green face and a floppy hat; it would've had the same effect as putting Wolverine in yellow and blue lycra - good for the comic, bad for live action!

Tobey Maguire was a perfect choice for geeky Peter Parker and as for Kirsten Dunst....well her rain soaked blouse says it all! :devil:

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes macy gray will date it and yes the goblin looked like a power ranger bad guy but it was great fun. the special effects were supposed to look 'comic book' and i thought the cast was great. really enjoyed this. looking forward to the sequels.

14. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Spider-Man was a class act. For me it was one of the movie highlights of 2002, and it worked because Sam Raimi was very faithful to the comics.
    I agree that the Goblin suit did look like a Power Rangers
    rip off, but then I dread to think what a literal translation of the
    Goblin costume from the comics would have looked like on the
    screen.

Some of the special effects in the first half were a bit telling, like when Peter chases his Uncle Ben's killer and he's starting to use his powers a bit more. Some of the dialogue was bad as well,
    particularly the scene in the hospital between Peter and MJ, and the scene at the end in the cemetery. But the worst line of dialogue is when Pete first meets Norman Osborn right at the beginning of the movie.

" Y'know, I'm something of a scientist myself!"

AAARRGH!!! :mad:

I can only hope they make better use of Kirsten Dunst as MJ in the sequel. She wasn't even in it enough for her character to really click with the audience! Raimi! Sort it out!:(

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Yes, I agree, there should have been more beach bikini action, that would help her connect heheheehehe

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved every minute of Spider-man. Had a big grin on my face throughout. It's great fun.

The Macy Gray cameo was indeed awful however. But not half as bad as her cameo in Training Day.

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I must say I enjoyed it but it is not on my list of DVD’s to buy at present.
    I agree with Ignatious (think I may have mentioned it in an other post somewhere) about the Power Ranger thing, I thought the costume in the comics would have been more frightening, but they brought the costume in to make it more up to date(didn’t alter SM though). Thing is when the Goblins spoke he had to keep moving his head just like the Power Rangers to show it was him talking, also you would have a static picture, at one point his visor came up to get round this problem.

18. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Never really thought about that before, but watched it again the other day and did find it quite annoying

19. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watched the movie again today and the one thing that's bugging me is the way Spider-Man's spider-sense is represented(or not).

As someone who reads every Spider-Man comic currently in print (including the UK reprints), I find it kind of annoying that his spider-sense doesn't warn him of the Goblin's presence, whether in the Times Square fight, the fight in the burning building, or before the Goblin yanks Spidey off his webline in the bridge sequence near the end.

I know it seems like I'm nitpicking, but if you read the comics Peter's spider-sense reacts to every potential threat, whether it's a bit of tainted meat in a sandwich, or even a slippery floor. It also acts as a sort of geiger counter, allowing him to track bad guys.

AND.. as for Kirsten Dunst as MJ, yeah the wet t-shirt scene is great, but I feel that she wasn't in the movie often enough, and when she was the dialogue was sometimes a wee bit cheesy.

I wonder if she's figured out Pete's secret?

OK, folks, rant over. Roll on the sequel!! ;)

20. Amarok

Amarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am no Spiderman expert but why did he stick to the wall when climbing wearing gloves and shoes when we saw he had special hairs growing out of his fingers?,surley he would fall off.

21. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really annoyed when spiderman finished, basically because that is 2 hours of my life i'm never going to get back.

Crap story, effects etc. Absolute Tosh

22. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I dont think its THAT bad. Why did you stay to the end then?

23. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As soon as they made parker able to create his web naturaly I knew they had little respect for the original spiderman:rolleyes:

24. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah i agree with that, was a bit pants.

25. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I love Spider-man!!!

But one thing about the film that winds me up no end is this....

The Spider bites him, then walks off, he does not kill this spider, so it can bite again!!!

There are 14 other spiders exactly like the one that bit him, what if they bite someone, and they must be breeding them for a reason, so will test them on animals and maybe humans. So how long before there is another Spider-man??

Other than that, the film is not excellent, but it is not dire either!!!

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Yes and he could make different formulas up to make the webbing do different things.
    And if he could make webs himself it would not becoming out of his wrist, but his!!!! :blush: :D

27. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I stayed till the end because I was watching it at home, it was my girlfriend's choice.

28. Britcitchris

Britcitchris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spiderman was top viewing. Stan Lee co produced the movie and he was happy with it (mind you, I would say I was happy when being paid large coffers of cash).

Isn't there a dark version of Spiderman in the comics? I don't really read them any more.

29. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I don’t remember a dark version of Spider-Man myself, as I do not read it but try to keep up the speed with the news on the title. Quite a few years ago an other Peter Parker turned up and it was explained the one who was in most of the stories was a clone, but this eventually proved un-true.
    Spider-Man also had a black costume at one point the same as Venom’s who you could call a dark Spider-Man.

30. Britcitchris

Britcitchris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garrett,

You are right. I had gotten confused with the dark costume. Good call.

For those who did not like it, I Still stand by my word that the film was very good. Sam Raimi is a brilliant director and his dark, comic style, (so brilliantly used in the Evil Dead films) was put to good use here, in Spiderman. One thing in particular I especially liked was the end as Peter explains his new powers as a curse as well as a gift. Top stuff.