Spiderman - Your thoughts.

James45

Standard Member
Reaction score
Obviously the web-slinger's DVD is one of this year's blockbuster releases and I thought it deserved its own thread. Reg 1 Spiderman discs have been shipping for a couple of days now so what do you think?

Personally while it's a nice transfer with some great use of sound (only had a quick scan of the disc and haven't looked at the second disc yet) it's nowhere near the reference quality release I was expecting. Great superhero film tho and definitely worth a purchase. Oh and having had another look yes (whoever it was) X-Men is the better film i agree.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I intend to buy this but cant decided whether to go R1 or just wait for the R2.

However if X-Men is better i will be keeping my money in my wallet, coz that was the most frighteningly dissapointing load of pants I have ever bought!

Originally posted by James45
shurely you jest!!:D :D I thought Spawn was more enjoyable than that.

Indeed I do.:D Spawn wasn´t too bad, still haven´t seen Spidey in action yet though.

There's bound to be a superbit disc of Spidey within the next 6 to 9 months. Probably an Ultimate Edition too.

Superman's a classic superhero flick. The sequels that followed were just nasty glass filled poo, but the original is still one of the best films out there of it's genre (IMHO:p ), far better than Tim Burton's Batman, which other than looking dark and atmospheric like the comics, turned out to be a major disappointment, as did the progressively worse sequels.
I thought X Men was a letdown although Spawn is a guilty pleasure (mainly due to the Clown). I enjoyed Spidey a lot, it surprised me, but I like Raimi's Darkman more. The cream of the crop numero uno big cheese superhero movie has to be Batman The Movie with Adam West and Burt Ward. That's the top banana and one that'll never be beaten.

Yes, I am serious:rolleyes:

Obviously the web-slinger's DVD is one of this year's blockbuster releases and I thought it deserved its own thread.

There are already about ten! Please check first!

One of the threads is claiming that the region one is RCE which has put me off from ordering - can anyone else confirm this please? I would hate to be stuck with only the region two! (I was going to order the region4 4-disc box-set). :(

Originally posted by Lex

One of the threads is claiming that the region one is RCE which has put me off from ordering - can anyone else confirm this please? I would hate to be stuck with only the region two! (I was going to order the region4 4-disc box-set). :(

I started the thread. Dont know how much confirmation you need because, it really is RCE encoded !!! ;)

Kev

Originally posted by juboy
Do people really put up with DVD players that can't get round RCE?

No juboy, we just throw them out the window and pick some more cash from our money trees so that we can buy a new one.

I bought my first DVD player 4 years ago and it ignored RCE, so it's not an 'age' issue really.

I've bought 2 others since and none have had problems with RCE (and all three of them are from the 'big three' manufacturers - who obviously adhere to DVD Forum RCE rules).

These days anyone can pick up good quality, RCE workaround players for less than £150.

Can't see why it's an issue, unless for people who still buy R2 players from Currys, Dixons et al.

can you name a better superhero film?

The Mask of Zorro - Good story, exciting action scenes and brilliant soundtrack.

Spiderman fails on the soundtrack (with exception of the music video).

I have five DVD players, some play RCE and some do not. I just don't want to own a film which I cannot watch in every room.

Originally posted by Lex
we just throw them out the window and pick some more cash from our money trees

I always wondered what species that was growing as your avatar.

I'm not fully RCE compatible, but it's easy enough for me to work round it. I can't say I ever gazed into my crystal ball and discovered they were developing RCE when I bought my player though. To be honest, it seems like a failure so I'm surprised they still use it.

Originally posted by Lex
I have five DVD players, some play RCE and some do not. I just don't want to own a film which I cannot watch in every room.

I wind up, surely?

Why not I've got 4 players with another (denon 3800) on order

I've an american player - so its RCE happy, a HCPC whic h probably is but never tried, a PS2 only R2 and a chipped CX850 R2 autochanger that isnt RCE happy.

For the four RCE disks I've got I'm not that bothered.

If you can watch an RCE disc on one or more of your 300 dvd players, I fail to see what the problem is.

Originally posted by Lex
There are already about ten! Please check first!

Errr last time I looked there was this one and the one about it being RCE encoded. I did check first otherwise there would have been no point in starting the thread.

Originally posted by Marv
Blade

Sorry I'd forgotten that Blade was actually based on a comic the film's that good!:D X-Men in joint lead with Blade then.

Originally posted by juboy
Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park (1978)

Essential viewing.

WTF?!

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the Classic Batman & Robin (1997). Undoubtedly Arnolds finest hour....

Rob.

Not a big fan of Comic book films but I think Barbarella is far better than any of the tosh mentioned so far!
She was sort of a superhero!

Richard.

[Voice in my head] I used the word 'tosh' in a post - I hope no-one notices![/Voice in my head]

All the diffrent regions of any disk are created from the same master as far as I'm aware. Seperate transfers are done for Pal and NTSC so you might get some differences. Even Superbit disks use the same master as the standard CT disk. Unless it's an older title where they might create a new high def master from a restored print for the disk.

Spiderman I haven't seen yet but I'm going to pick up the UK R2 at some stage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom