Spiderman Jitters

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Galaxy, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,
    Last night we watched spidey R1 on HTPC Duron900 radeon7000 PowerDVDXP Genie.......now usually it is allways set to Hardware Accel enabled as I find this gives far better tonal quality with no MJPG artifacts, but with this particular disk I had "stuttering" is best way to describe the effect, very small but definately there although the management of the house said what was I worrying about!
    I guess with the very slight stutter there was a blocking effect around the moving area effected, has anyone else had this problem, as no other disk we have has ever exhibited this and I just wondered if the disk is not so well encoded?
    Otherwise.......hee hee.....what a fun movie!
    Any ideas Ladies and Gentlemen?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Do you get this with other R1 disks?

I find that running R1 at 72hz gives a stutter free picture, as doeas 75hz with R2.

I've also got Spidey R1, and I didn't notice any stuttering, so maybe it's something else if you've got your refresh rates set OK.

Didn't have anything else running in the background or got the pc networked have you?

Gary.

3. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Nope, all other R1 disks play perfectly, not sure what the refresh is set to presently but i think it was 72Hz and i have nothing running in the background at all, this is a dedicated bare minimum install and peripheral pooter just for my Projector. I have never, since rebuilding with an Asus MB had any problems at all, extremely stable, in fact this is the first time since comissioning the HTPC that I have had anything odd happen (about a year now), never even had to reboot........can't complain too much I guess? LOL

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I always stick to 60hz these days and have no problems at all give it a try

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I only watched a bit of this the other night: must say I found it a really uninvolving experience : not keen on spiderman at alll. I almost prefer the TV series!

However I suspect I also saw some sutter here and there: almost like quick layer changes. ( I even think the sound would stop just for a fraction of a second: it never happened midflow though so it was hard to tell)

Again using an HTPC : TT1.2 everything else plays flawlessly. 60Hz refresh ( going into an ae100).

6. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Gary,
    I am running at 60Hz refresh, which through XGA into my projector has been fine.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Galaxy,

glad to her you've solved that problem. :)

Had you tried 72hz, or did your pj just not like that refresh rate? I believe many pjs default to 60hz internaly anyway, regardless of the signal they're getting, so maybe 72 converted to 60 was pants, but 60hz was just what it needed.

Gary.

8. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry Gary,
    I steered you wrong there, I havent changed anything just checked the refresh rate.......I still get the jitters with spidey.
    I might try changing the refresh rate to 72Hz later tonight...after we have watched Reign of Fire.........which of course is another R1 which I hope will be fine along with all the other R1 disks I have, seems only spidey jittered. I shall keep you informed if the refresh change to 72Hz helps.

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,782