Spiderman censored

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Though the previews are a 12-rating, I heard that the actual mainstream release will be a version cut down to a PG-rating. The film company have decided to do this so more kids (including the younger audience) can watch it, more ticket sales, the film company get more money in their bank accounts, etc. So as a consequence, we responsible adults get less violence in the film.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Dr. Rock,

Where did you get your information from?

I checked the BBFC website and they state that it is a "12" certificate only, and that upto today - Wednesday 12th June - no other version of the movie has been classified.

The link is.... BBFC Spiderman decision

Anyway, the company distributing the film wouldn't have time to re-cut the film from a "12" certificate down to a "PG", and get it officially classified, within the 5-days before it is due to open, so I think wherever you heard this, was fibbing! ;)

Pooch

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heards something on the news last night on the way home from work, that a cinema owner "down souf" had made a PG edition becuase of request from parents in the local area.

How the hell he did that without getting hits nuts sued off, or if he even did it is open to speculation and an extremely large grain of salt

4. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got this from the Melonfarmers.co.uk website.

I think it clarifies the situation.

Spider Sense vs Spider Censor
    From Ananova

The owner of an independent cinema chain is celebrating after persuading two councils to allow thousands of children to see the new Hollywood blockbuster film Spider-Man.

Trevor Wicks, 44, owner of the Hollywood chain, which has five cinemas across East Anglia, convinced councillors in Dereham, Fakenham and Cromer, Norfolk, to downgrade the film's classification from a 12 to a PG (Parental Guidance). Mr Wicks thinks his success could persuade other cinema owners across Britain to ask councils to change the classification. It is not the first time district councils have changed the classification given to films by censors.

Mr Wicks argued that the BBFC had been wrong to impose a 12 classification because Spider-Man contained scenes which were no more violent than Lord of the Rings, which had a PG rating.

Members of Breckland District Council and North Norfolk District Council, which license local cinemas, agreed to reclassify after watching a special showing of Spider-Man, which goes on general release later this week. But they said the film should contain a warning that some scenes might be unsuitable for children aged under eight.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Well, it's certainly interesting, but not the first time this has happened. (I remember the same thing happening when "Crocodile Dundee" came out at the cinema as well.)

Also, ANY cinema can ask their local council to downgrade a certificate of a movie, but it's rarely done, due to the time, hassle and expense. Also, most councils don't want the hassle of interfering in the certification process, for fear of a backlash from parents who then find 6-year-old Kimmy has had nightmares from seeing something with her friends, that mummy and daddy wouldn't let her see originally, due to the age-restricted certificate.

Cinemas's can NOT upgrade certificates, e.g. from a "PG" to a "12", only the other way, but it's rare.

Pooch

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,650
    I just saw on the news that the council in Ashton-under-Lyne, was downgrading it to a PG, and the said 3 other councils had done the same.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Afternoon Folks,

The official ruling seems to be that cinemas in Norfolk, Manchester and a couple of other areas, are invoking the 1909 Cinema Act which effectively allows local councils to downgrade certificates on movies.

The problem is, that the BBFC have made an official statement saying that (in their opinion) the film is borderline "12"/"15" certificate, and that it only managed to scrape through as a "12".

Some areas of the country are changing the film's certificate to a straight "PG", uncut; others are changing it to a "PG-12" which allows under 12's into the film, providing someone over 18 accompanies them, whilst the remainder have simply left the film as it is - a "12" certificate, rather than risk hassles.

Personally, whilst I haven't seen the film yet, the BBFC wouldn't have given the film a "12" for no good reason, if they thought it could have got through at a PG level, with a warning ala "Lord Of The Rings" or "Jurassic Park", et al. In my opinion, cinemas should just leave it at a straight "12", otherwise you are going to get into problems with kids from one part of the country being able to see a film, that kids in another part can't.

Pooch

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,650
    Further to Pooch’s letter
    I find this could be dangerous, as if a similar film came out and it was a border 12/15, would the censors be more likely to cut it, knowing some councils would make it a PG. It looks as if the censors may have been kind, and lowered it from 15 to 12 to accommodate younger fans of Spider-Man already.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Evening,

Garrett raises an interesting point. However, I've just thought of something else.

If all BBFC cinema certificates, NOT videos or DVD's, are advisory only, then what's to stop a cinema asking for a film to be reclassified from a "15" to a "PG", or an "18" to a "15"?

This may sound silly, but if a cinema can invoke this 1909 act, and a local council agrees, then surely it rather makes a mockery of the BBFC's existance, and of film classification in the UK as a whole, as well?!

Pooch

10. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A local independant cinema chain here, Moviehouse cinemas, has asked both Newtownabbey Borough Council and Belfast City Council to change the certificate of Spiderman from a 12 to a PG.

Newtownabbey council refused, saying they did not "want to go against" the BBFC's certification. However, Newtownabbey council is run by religious zealots and, up until recently, have refused to even allow parks, leisure centres etc to open on Sundays(it took a court case to change their minds, I believe) so this is hardly surprising.

Belfast council, on the other hand, is becoming steadily more progressive and it'll be interesting to see what they say.

Even more ludicrously, any under 12's from border areas (and beyond if they feel like it) can go and see the movie in the Republic Of Ireland, provided they're accompanied by an adult. This is because the movie has been classisfied as PG12 in ROI.