Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray no 5.1 sound on PS3?

jazzert100

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get Spiderman3 to output a Dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack via an optical connection?
Other blu-ray discs output it no problem.
I have tried this on two different sound systems, an aincient pioneer and a brand new sony str-ks1100, on both systems I get stereo and sw but thats it.
Does the Spiderman disc contain a std 5.1 soundtrack or is it only the Dolby true soundtrack.
Do I need to output the sound via Hdmi as well?

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

(just when i thought I knew what I was doing!):)

On a slight tangent the standard Spiderman 3 would not do it either.

The US versions do not have DD.

Spidy 3 has PCM and Tru HD, 1 & 2 have Tru HD only.

I would have thought this would be down mixed to DD.

Does your amp have HDMI?

I just checked my disc,and the default audio is Dolby TrueHD 5.1.
I have my PS3 connected to my Denon receiver via Optical,which plays it as Dolby Digital 5.1 no problem at all. :)

Thx for the info guys, I have had a look at the small print and there seems to be an English pcm 5.1 track so will try and set that up.
The Sony system has 2 hdmi sockets will try that too.

Would the configutation go: ps3 -hdmi to sony(to pick up sound).
: sony -hdmi to projector( to pick up video? )
thx in advance

I think there has to be something wrong with your basic configuration,because it should definitely play as DD 5.1 by default through Optical connected to any suitably equipped receiver.
I checked the PCM 5.1 (uncompressed) audio track,and that only comes through as 2 channel via Optical,but i believe this would work through HDMI to a suitably equipped receiver.

All other discs are fine, which is what's throwing me!:)
In that case...it is a strange one...:confused:
The only thing i can tell you for sure is,mine plays exactly the way you would expect it to. PS3 - Denon1907 via Optical cable. Dolby TrueHD 5.1 on the Blu-ray,playing as DD 5.1 through my receiver.

Same here, TrueHD and PCM tracks playback as DD5.1 through Optical with the PS3 set to Bitstream.

Same here, TrueHD and PCM tracks playback as DD5.1 through Optical with the PS3 set to Bitstream.
Are you absolutely sure your uncompressed PCM track plays as multi-channel audio via Optical? I didnt think this was possible.
I thought you had to use HDMI for this. :confused:

Are you absolutely sure your uncompressed PCM track plays as multi-channel audio via Optical? I didnt think this was possible.
I thought you had to use HDMI for this. :confused:

Just checked and you are correct, when I selected the Uncompressrf 5.1 track my amp switched to ProLogic but when a TrueHD track is selected it is output as DD5.1

I flicked through the language settings and they all went into DD right away, I think on option 8 I found an English DD 5.1 track and it worked!!:)

Very user friendly not!!:)

Anyway thx again for the pointers guys

I only have 7 different options in the language section on my disc. Apart form the 2 already mentioned,and the foreign languages....there is an English Audio Descriptive Service option,which although it is in DD5.1,you definitely dont want to be using that one. :D

Hope you have it sorted though. :)

Hi guys. I have a Sony Home Theatre system (a DAV-DZ830W) and im struggling to find the best audio output for Spidey 1,2 and 3.

I have my ps3 connected to the Cinema system via optical and the PS3 connect to the TV via HDMI.

I've only tested Spidey 1 but if I leave the sound on PCM Linear it outputs True HD 5.1 but it only sounds like its coming out the front 3 speakers If i change it to bitstream it says its outputting in DD MultiChannel but it still doesn't sound like surround sound.

Any ideas what I should be doing to get the optimal surround sound and will the method work for all three flicks as I have the Hi Def trilogy. I can change the sound on the cinema system to things like pro logic 2, multi and theres the sony studio EX settings. But im clueless. The flicks just sound really dead. Like DVD. lol.

Many thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

Hi guys. I have a Sony Home Theatre system (a DAV-DZ830W) and im struggling to find the best audio output for Spidey 1,2 and 3.

I have my ps3 connected to the Cinema system via optical and the PS3 connect to the TV via HDMI.

I've only tested Spidey 1 but if I leave the sound on PCM Linear it outputs True HD 5.1 but it only sounds like its coming out the front 3 speakers If i change it to bitstream it says its outputting in DD MultiChannel but it still doesn't sound like surround sound.

Any ideas what I should be doing to get the optimal surround sound and will the method work for all three flicks as I have the Hi Def trilogy. I can change the sound on the cinema system to things like pro logic 2, multi and theres the sony studio EX settings. But im clueless. The flicks just sound really dead. Like DVD. lol.

Many thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

IF you are outputing over optical, the ps3 should be set bitstream over optical and not pcm, if done correctly you should get standard dolby digital 5.1.

It says dolby digital but Multi speaker. Not 5.1. Only says 5.1 when I change to PCM.

Is multi channel just another way the ps3 says 5.1 then?

It says dolby digital but Multi speaker. Not 5.1. Only says 5.1 when I change to PCM.

Yes.

in a way yes,

Well if thats the best I can get then that'll have to do. Many thanks to those that responded. :smashin:

Well if thats the best I can get then that'll have to do.
While i dont completely understand your previous post to this one,can you confirm that you are now getting 5.1 sound?
If you're not,then its just a simple setting that is wrong....but if you are,then how much better do you want it? :D

I have the BD set to True HD, the PS3 set on bitmapping and when i press select in the top right hand corner it has dolby digital multichannel.

So u tell me. lol.

I have the BD set to True HD, the PS3 set on bitmapping and when i press select in the top right hand corner it has dolby digital multichannel.

So u tell me. lol.

Yes it is outputting in DD 5.1, I have my PS3 connected to my Amp by Optical Cable and the PS3 set to Bitstream.

I have Spider-Man 3 and when I tested this last night to check, when I played the Uncompressed track, my Amp only displayed PCM 2.0 but when I played the True HD track my Amp displayed Dolby Digital 5.1 and I had the Blue multi-channel light lit up.

As my Amp cannot decode True HD it will output the core DD 5.1 sound.

This is kind of a follow up to my earlier query.

With the release of the 2.30 Firmware on the PS3 comes DTS-HDMA etc etc.

Do I need to start using linear or stick to bitmap still. The only reason I ask is that if I switch to linear, the display (shown by pressing select) shows the sound as DTS-HDMA but it still sounds like its only coming out of the front 3 speakers. The little DTS symbol on the Home Theatre system also disappears. If I switch to bitmap the display changes to just plain old DTS and sound comes out of all 5 and the DTS symbol is again seen onthe Theatre system.

Which should I be using?

Do I need to start using linear or stick to bitmap still.
I assumed the last time you used this word, you had simply made a mistake.
"bitmap" is an image file format, so you must mean bitstream. ;)

The latest software update to the PS3 is only of any advantage to you, if you connect your PS3 directly to your AV Receiver using an HDMI cable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom