Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Nice review, Cas.
Shame I disagree about the film. The story has been done before, lots, and the multi ethnic swerve felt cheap.
It does have a few laughs but the blurred in Verse and confusingly out of Verse too shots pissed me off and looked like you should be wearing 3D glasses.

Exactly what I thought, I went to a preview showing and actually went and spoke to the staff to question why I hadn’t been supplied glasses. I was convinced it was an out of focus 3D film!!

Exactly what I thought, I went to a preview showing and actually went and spoke to the staff to question why I hadn’t been supplied glasses. I was convinced it was an out of focus 3D film!!
Sounds embarrassing mate, unless you've actually seen the film and then it's very understandable.

Are you ordering the standard 3d blu ray? Some of the reviews on Amazon de say it does not include an English language soundtrack. Would like to know if that's the case, as I'd really like a 3d blu ray of this film but don't want to spend silly money.
The German 3D blu-ray comes with an English 5.1 DTS-HD MA track. The reviews you mentioned are for the Prime Video stream version.

The Sound is a beast on this one (as good as Aquaman).

this thing is like marmite,i really don’t see the fuss about it,and for me the picture was giving me problems ,i had to switch it off,i had read a couple of reviews before so i knew what i was getting in to, other people seem to be ok tho,just not for me

Watched this a few weeks ago with Aquaman as a double feature. For all the praise Aquaman got for its picture and sound this for me was even better. The picture is just incredible on an OLED. Definatly a reference disc when it comes to animated features. I can only imagine how it would look on a Micro LED since it was graded at 4000 nits and even on an OLED with 700-800 nits looked incredible. The film itself I would probably give a 9/10. Probably the best Spiderman movie iv seen with Spiderman 2 with Toby Maguire a close second. The recent live action movies are pretty forgettable.

My family sit squarely in the awesome camp. Took us about 10 minutes to let the animation to settle down... After that it felt reference throughout and it was an incredibly refreshing hero movie - completely knocked the socks off Aquaman!

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Works on both adult and children level a la Toy Story
And very funny too.
Highly recommended from me :thumbsup:

Are you ordering the standard 3d blu ray? Some of the reviews on Amazon de say it does not include an English language soundtrack. Would like to know if that's the case, as I'd really like a 3d blu ray of this film but don't want to spend silly money.
Good point! Description says Turkish language. Ice now cancelled it.

Amazon.es has one in English but a bit more expensive than amazon.de.

I've found this on the UK site, have asked the seller for specific details:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Man-A-New-Universe/dp/B07KZBRYM3?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

Edit: Just seen the other comment confirming that the German disc has English audio!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Great film, animation is remarkable, my sons new favorite film (and soundtrack) and no doubt incoming request for the Miles Spiderman outfit!

Watched this a few weeks ago with Aquaman as a double feature. For all the praise Aquaman got for its picture and sound this for me was even better. The picture is just incredible on an OLED. Definatly a reference disc when it comes to animated features. I can only imagine how it would look on a Micro LED since it was graded at 4000 nits and even on an OLED with 700-800 nits looked incredible. The film itself I would probably give a 9/10. Probably the best Spiderman movie iv seen with Spiderman 2 with Toby Maguire a close second. The recent live action movies are pretty forgettable.

HDR10 metadata attached. It's close to 10,000 nits.

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_142446996.jpg
    IMG_20190410_142446996.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
Deleted, short version- couldn’t stand it.

Last edited:
guess im the odd one that hates the picture quality of this move, when watching it at my local cinema i actually went out and asked if they had the 3D version as the picture was that blurry.

I saw it on 3D IMAX at the Cineworld IMAX festival a few weeks ago and although I enjoyed it and the animation was phenomenal I did find it a bit too frenetic at times, but I think this is down to my natural aversion to 3D (it was for the kids benefit), and being sat too close to the screen. I am looking forward to seeing it in 2D on blu ray as I think I may enjoy it a lot more when I can follow the action better.

Watched this last night, thought it was ok, nowhere near a 10/10 for me, more like a 7.
Visuals were great sometimes and as others have mentioned at other times it looked like a red/blue glasses 3d film and distracted me from the film. Worth a watch if you're a spiderman fan.

Not only one of the best films I’ve seen in a while, also possibly the best disc I’ve seen or heard full stop. Visually my only possible complaint would be that there has been a clear stylistic choice to desaturate the colour a little, toning it down in most parts of the film. IMO would have been better off a full technicolour riot throughout. Not a criticism of the disc, but a visual choice made by its makers that I don’t particularly agree with. Otherwise visually perfect. I personally loved how frenetic it was, cutting in frames from the comic books, adding written sound effects and temporal cues, and no small amount of reverence offered to the Raimi (best) Spider-Man movies. There’s a lot to appreciate if you’re paying attention.

But the audio. My God, the audio is just on another level. This is the single best use of 3D sound I have ever heard. And by some margin. The on-screen craziness has seemingly presented the audio mixers/sound designers the opportunity to go to town and back. Truly incredible. When I want to show off what my completely OTT 7.5.6 system can do, this will be the disc I reach for from now on.

The film is a work of art, on a disc that’s all but flawless. 10/10

Last edited:
Bought this movie on the back of this review, and I have to agree with the reviewer above.

Totally awesome! The picture is just stunning, and the audio is on a different level to just about everything else.

Cas got this spot on.

fabulous, thoroughly enjoyed it at the cinema and the other half shockingly loved it as well on home release :)

I bought the Australia/NZ SteelBook edition. Its the same SteelBook as the Zavvi release, but includes both the 4K and 2D transfers.

Didn't think that it would be "my kind" of movie, but man, was I in for a surprise.

Stunning 4K disc with amazing Dolby Atmos soundtrack. I absolutely love it. Watched it twice in two days, and saw many things not seen on my first viewing. Its packed with in jokes and references to other movies.

I can see how some people can't get used to the ground breaking animation, but I was soon drawn into it, and loved every minute. 10/10

Holy moly...what a disc!
The LFE is THE best I’ve heard in AGES!
Slams, rocks, rolls & hits the ultra low depths and does it amazingly, unlike Aquamans unrelenting LFE which was like being hit over head repeatedly for over 2 hours.
The picture was absolutely gorgeous too, some of the colours I’ve never even seen on screen before, Sony have done a masterful job with this.
I saw the film at the cinema twice and loved it, loved it even more at home.
It’s definitely a keeper

Great review Cas and what a great origin story. Fantastic. Can’t wait to see what he does with the the hammer.

Saw this on 4k disk on Saturday night.

A magnificent movie.

And the best looking and sounding film I have ever, ever seen.

This is the new reference.

My sub has never sounded so good.

Absolutely on another level.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom