Quantcast

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Mallardo

Oh yeah, most Disney Atmos mixes are 6dB too quiet, but a Main Volume adjustment will fix that. Others were finding DRC being enabled making it sound infinitely worse
I have a Marantz and need to use DRC to keep the wife happy ( she worries about the neighbours) , and it will make your films sound gutless if you have it on, as that's what it is supposed to do. Pretty sure that the default setting is "Off" though, so this probably isn't the reason.

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
I have a Marantz and need to use DRC to keep the wife happy ( she worries about the neighbours) , and it will make your films sound gutless if you have it on, as that's what it is supposed to do. Pretty sure that the default setting is "Off" though, so this probably isn't the reason.
There’s metadata that can trigger it on

stigdu

Weird. I went through all my Denon's settings last night and still couldn't find anything relating to loudness management or dynamic compression. Maybe it's because it's a basic 2400 model? I don't know.

Anyway, I found that by changing the size of the front and centre speakers to 'small' in the settings certainly made a difference, and the PQ improved dramatically when we watched the second half of the film. I can only assume one of the kids pressed something on the remote control to make it look so washed out!

Evinger

Weird. I went through all my Denon's settings last night and still couldn't find anything relating to loudness management or dynamic compression. Maybe it's because it's a basic 2400 model? I don't know.

Anyway, I found that by changing the size of the front and centre speakers to 'small' in the settings certainly made a difference, and the PQ improved dramatically when we watched the second half of the film. I can only assume one of the kids pressed something on the remote control to make it look so washed out!
According to the Manual grabs I posted, you can only alter these settings when Dolby Digital or Dolby blah or blah is playing. So it could be that these settings don't even appear until something with one of the Dolby offerings is actually playing.
I can't be sure on that - maybe someone else can chime in on this?

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
According to the Manual grabs I posted, you can only alter these settings when Dolby Digital or Dolby blah or blah is playing. So it could be that these settings don't even appear until something with one of the Dolby offerings is actually playing.
Bingo

Mallardo

I can confirm this. You need to have a compatible dolby input signal before you can see the settings. I was going crazy trying to find drc on my marantz when watching a dts ma disc, until I read the instructions.

stigdu

Just a quick addendum... I only have a basic Atmos setup (a couple of small Cambridge Audio speakers at ceiling height near the TV), but this film has got the best Atmos effect sequence I've heard in a film yet and for the first time, Atmos really impressed me!!!

I shan't say what bit, as I don't want to spoil it for people, but it's maybe just over halfway through the film.

UMAR 3:16

Distinguished Member
Just a quick addendum... I only have a basic Atmos setup (a couple of small Cambridge Audio speakers at ceiling height near the TV), but this film has got the best Atmos effect sequence I've heard in a film yet and for the first time, Atmos really impressed me!!!

I shan't say what bit, as I don't want to spoil it for people, but it's maybe just over halfway through the film.
You can say the very dialogue heavy bit? 😉. Excellent atmos I agree

Johno0885

Saw this at a friends on Blu Ray .
I will Buy this on 4k when it comes down in Price , A must have.
The Special Effects really kept me interested , They done a Superb Job Well Done.
Another Great Movie , They brought the Under Guy up to the Level of Super Hero.
One of the Best movies to come out this year for Special Effects.