• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

spider behind glass LG 50PK350

buttscratcher

Standard Member
Hi all,

Advice needed on dismantling LG 50PK350 to clean behind the glass, I've got a bloody spider that has set up home between the glass and the panel! Is it fairly easy, I've had large screen TV's apart before (Sammy PCB blown caps) but I thought I see if anyone had any tips/walkthroughs.

Thanks all

buttscratcher

Standard Member
LG were useless as usual, said there has to be a gap for ventilation purposes but they wouldn't repair because it's not a fault and they couldn't let me have service details as I'm not qualified, what as? a bloody arachnologist!! Maybe I should put it on ebay as new gen 3d :)

Member 300569

Prominent Member
LG were useless as usual, said there has to be a gap for ventilation purposes but they wouldn't repair because it's not a fault and they couldn't let me have service details as I'm not qualified, what as? a bloody arachnologist!! Maybe I should put it on ebay as new gen 3d :)

Hi, i'm sorry our CS team did not help you to the standard you expected. Sometimes insects CAN get into the units between the glass and the module etc... We will NEVER advise removing the rear cabinet, however, I would suggest to anyone else who has this kind of issue in the future to perhaps purchase a can of pressurised air that could help shift the 'visitor' safely (always make sure that when cleaning any electrical item that the unit is unplugged from the wall and left for approx 30mins to avoid any chance of discharge or electrical shock.)

buttscratcher

Standard Member
Hi, i'm sorry our CS team did not help you to the standard you expected. Sometimes insects CAN get into the units between the glass and the module etc... We will NEVER advise removing the rear cabinet, however, I would suggest to anyone else who has this kind of issue in the future to perhaps purchase a can of pressurised air that could help shift the 'visitor' safely (always make sure that when cleaning any electrical item that the unit is unplugged from the wall and left for approx 30mins to avoid any chance of discharge or electrical shock.)

Doesn't "canned air" usually contain an aversive agent which could well leave a residue on the panel? Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Member 300569

Prominent Member
Doesn't "canned air" usually contain an aversive agent which could well leave a residue on the panel? Personally I wouldn't recommend it.
Agreed, I wouldn't recommend spraying it directly on the panel but the circulation of the air might help move the insects, if they're still alive, without leaving the residue. It COULD also blow dust in between the gap too but both these scenarios may be preferable to the risk of cleaning it yourself and/or leaving the insect to die in that location....?

tvpro

Standard Member
Had the same on a Sony, but it was a ladybird, My wife,,,,, got a sink plunger, stuck it on the screen where the bug was,,,the plastic screen is quite flexible so when it pulled/flexed back, she tapped the screen, the bug fell down below the screen,,,dunno where it vanished to but it was no problems after that, wouldnt advise a sink plunger but a medium strength sucker,, pull the screen gently back,,tap the screen and bug will fall,,,hopefully it will be dead and not crawl back again, failing that i'ts a dismantle job

buttscratcher

Standard Member
Had the same on a Sony, but it was a ladybird, My wife,,,,, got a sink plunger, stuck it on the screen where the bug was,,,the plastic screen is quite flexible so when it pulled/flexed back, she tapped the screen, the bug fell down below the screen,,,dunno where it vanished to but it was no problems after that, wouldnt advise a sink plunger but a medium strength sucker,, pull the screen gently back,,tap the screen and bug will fall,,,hopefully it will be dead and not crawl back again, failing that i'ts a dismantle job

Thanks for the tip but not sure I'd fancy trying that, the screen "appears" to be glass so quite brittle, I'd be worried it would crack.

Anyhoo the critter has not returned so hopefully problem solved.

Note to LG if you're reading, how about a mesh barrier that would allow ventilation but prevent bugs, should be fairly easy to implement.

tvpro

Standard Member
Watching the spider trying to escape is better than most of the C*** that's on telly anyway
PPPssst!!!! don't tell the TV licencing people about the quality of entertainment on your telly,,they will put the price up again!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom