1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spheros and Sharp GD1 (for Ianh64)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by genoa1893, Mar 25, 2005.

1. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,
    As as i said in my last post i've found 3 dead pixels on my spheros :mad: so i spoke with the dealer who offer me to go to the shop and check another Spheros in order to verify for dead pixel...and incredible :eek: also the Spheros at the shop had 3 dead pixels.
    Loewe says that 3 DP are within specs. but i cannot accept it for the money i've paid.
    My dealer offer me a swap with a Sharp 37GD1E and i don't know what to do :suicide:
    I read that Ianh64 (or someonelse who have tested both screens) have the Sharp (32 gd1?) and the Loewe(xelos)(or is what i have understood) so can you gently give me an advice about PQ between this 2 LCD (i know that Loewe is equipped whit Shrp panels).
    And what about resolutions...i'm worried about Sharp support for 720p (60hz:yes, 50Hz :?).Images are displayed at full screen or with black bars as Philips 9886 do with 720p?
    And 1080i ?

Thank you in advance for spending your time with me and sorry for my bad english.. but i'm desperate
    -Nic-

2. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sharps support 720p full screen @50 & 60 Hz.

Great TV's.

3. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ...Ianh can you give me some advice?
    thank you in advance

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sorry for the delay, I have been away for easter and now that I have lost my broadband connection I don't trawl back through posts that have dropped off the bottom of the screen.

For a start, I agree that 3 dead pixels on a screen of this price is unacceptable. In the UK, we could fight that on the grounds of cost, the more expensive set should be perfect especially since it is the norm for LCD displays to have no dead pixels. I don't know if similar consumer laws apply in Italy.

As for displays. I have a Xelos 32. I spent 3 hours with my HDMI equipped DVD player and a GD1E prior to making up my mind. I wish I had spent similar with a Spheros but ruled it out on cost thinking that the base price of a Spheros was ££££ more than a Xelos rather than £££.

I will say now, having had a Spheros, that will notice a loss in PQ if you went back to a Sharp or even a Xelos. My Xelos is definately more natural than the Sharp and handles poor quality inputs very well. The Spheros is more cinematic than the Xelos, but otherwise PQ will be identical to the Spheros - think about comparing different sun glasses - the view is the same but some make it look better than others. The GD1E that I tested was awful on DTV and analogue compared with my Xelos. My Xelos makes a decent job even of VHS. I don't know if the Sharp would be so accomodating.

With the Sharp, it will do 720p at 50 and 60. Like the Loewe, you get choice of borders or original. 1080i is hit and miss depending on the source. During my tests, the Sharp would not accept 1080i from my player. Sharp have admitted a problem with this. The Sharp remote would also have driven me up the wall - it had to be pointed directly at the display unlike my Loewe which I can fire in any direction. Sharp blamed this on interference from other TV's in the showroom but other manufacturers displays did not suffer the same.

Personally I would keep trying to get the panel changed. You will notice the difference. If you had gone for the Sharp first then it is a fine panel, but once you have got use to Loewe quality, I think that you would be disappointed with the Sharp.

I can see that I will have a fight on my hands soon. My D-TV tuner does not pick up ABC1 here in the UK - needs a software upgrade. My supplier wants to charge, I don't think I should pay as it is a software fault.

-Ian

5. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your help Ianh,

so i'm in a bad situation, because Loewe says that 3 dead pixel are within tolerance and will not change mine with a new panel.
    At the same time the Spheros at the shop, that my dealer accept to swap have 1 pixel total green that is most visible then 3 dead pixel on mine.
    ...and now i don't know what to do...my only chance to have a perfect panel(without dead pixels) is to accept the Sharp and cross my fingers.. :(

Thank you again

6. Masterpiece

Masterpiece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey!

Do not switch your LCD from Loewe Spheros to Sharp.
    It's like switching a Porsche to a Mazda.
    They both drive well, but aren't in the same league.

I would rather have a Porsche with a scratch on it than a perfect Mazda.

Honestly, the PQ can't compare. I've seen and tested Sharp, Sony and Philips but the Loewe beats them all, hands down.

Get the dealers kit with one green pixel. You won't notice it, it's all just in your head. You know it's there so that's all you think about. Forget about it. One dead or green pixel doesn't hurt the PQ.

All the best!

Claus

7. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nic, I'm supprised Loewe wont swap it out, have you spoken to them directly? When I bought mine it had annoying bright spots particularly in the bottom left hand corner, and they swapped it out for a new one (in fact a series 2) without any quibbles, in fact they didn't even send anyone around - maybe that was just down to my retailer - but I was very impressed with the service. How long have you had it? In the UK I think your statury rights are to return any goods withion 30 days if you are not entirely satisfied - for what ever reason - perhaps you could do that and then buy a new one - although you shouldn't have too.

8. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dear gilsem and masterpiece,

i know that loewe PQ is the best, but 3 dead pixel on a lcd of this price, for me, is unacceptable.
    I spoke directly to Loewe Italy and they say that a tech guy must come to my house in order to determinate my problem, but they say also that 3 dead pixel are within tolerance...so the tech guy is useless :mad:
    I received my Spheros 10 days ago and in Italy you can return it within 7 days, but my retailer accept to swap for a Sharp because he don't want to order another Loewe.

Tahnk you all :hiya:

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Giles. Whats a series 2? The guy at Linn mentioned a few changes, in particular with the media box. My understanding was that, apart from the colour of the box, the media box is now shared between the Xelos and Spheros. Initially it was different, with I think the Spheros had a component & RGB capable SCART connector inplace of the standalone component/RGB phono inputs. But im not sure if this was a feature of the 37" or the 32".

-Ian

10. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian, the series 2 box (not sure of the real name) is smaller than my original height wise, it has a 6 in 1 card reader on the front for the Picture Viewer. Round the back it gets a whole lot more interesting - the series 1 had a single proprietry cable linking panel to the media box, not thats replaced by a standard DVI cable for video and another cable for audio (it's a bit like a DVI cable?). The power cable on the panel also now detaches, on my old one it was hard wired. There's also only 2 SCART connectors (1 RGB), there used to be 3 SCARTS (of them RGB).

As you'll remember I got a really good deal on the old series 1 box - £1,500 off (while they were trying to shift old stock) - which made it cheaper than the Xelos !!!, but with the picture problem I had, they swapped it out for one of the new ones - including the newer media box - so I'm doubly happy.

Giles

11. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Sharp screens, as far as I know, don't give you the option of borders with 720p - they are always full screen with a little overscan. At least, this is true for the DVI input.

James

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Giles. Thanks, that sorted out my confusion. That backs up the manual in that the Spheros and Xelos now use the same media box - apart from the colour of it.

jgrg. im pretty sure that when I tested my HDMI DVD player with a GD1E I got borders in PC dot for dot mode. It may have been at 60Hz though.