Spent time with Pioneer 5090, Panasonic TX-P50V10 & Samsung ps50b650...

TeggDon

Plasmas smear aswell? i thought that was only LCDs that did that. That's the main reason why im selling my Sony 32D3000 because it was AWFULL for smearing on dark colours. Do Panasonics do this at all?

No its just Samsung plasmas that blur badly in motion. You also get lots of image retention on Samsung. Some image retention is also software based like their LCD. You also have to deal with alot of dithering.

riccardo2

Standard Member
Cheers Richdog, a very helpful review

As for the sound... do you have an iPod docking station in Switzerland?

I have a B&W Zeppelin, which doubles up very nicely as a TV speaker (my wife would never tolerate a 5.1 speaker set)

Richdog

Hell no I don't need no stinkin' iPod. :p

And be a man and get that 5.2 speaker set installed, no woman should stand in the way of that! :D

Panasonic P50G10
Pros
The best black levels of the three
Excellent shadow detail
Very good motion resolution
Brilliant contrast
Good 'out of the box' settings
Very resistant to image retention

Cons
Very limited calibration controls, even in the service menu
Poorer colour accuracy
Potential phosphor trailing issues
SD picture a little too soft
Design (if that matters)

For the record i'm happy to report that not only have I noticed no phosphor trailing (despite having sensitive eyes), but that the SD quality is actually damn good if scaled through something else (I have a Dreambox). I really can't express how much I love this TV. :D

Last edited:

riccardo2

Standard Member
Hell no I don't need no stinkin' iPod. :p

And be a man and get that 5.2 speaker set installed, no woman should stand in the way of that! :D

No chance

I already have a pair of Rega XEL floorstanders for audio, which I am not giving up

5 more speakers = divorce

I have an iPod for the car, never again will I not have the CD I want to hand... I am happy for my kids to play what they want through the iPod, but if they touch my CDs I get edgy, and if they go near the vinyl they will be homeless. The Zeppelin is a good compromise, and plugging the TV in is a bonus :cool:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
For the record i'm happy to report that not only have I noticed no phosphor trailing (despite having sensitive eyes), but that the SD quality is actually damn good if scaled through something else (I have a Dreambox). I really can't express how much I love this TV. :D

SD is great if it's scaled externally, it's the scaling technology in the Panasonics which often let them down a bit with SD

anpe008

Samsung PS50B850
Pros
Very good under bright light
Good SD performance
Sharp picture on HD (not necessarily better)
very good colours (not quite as good as the LG)

Cons
Some shadow detail is lost
Image can be a little bit 'artificial' at times
Potentially serious image retention issues
Phosphor trailing (I'll get onto this later on)
Poor motion resolution
Buzz problem (has affected some)
Awful sound

Hope that helped

Thanks the detailed opinion! Do you have any experience with V10 as well?

I am still hesitating between V10 and B850 and trying to get a good deal to a 5090H (which still out od my range a bit)...

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Thanks the detailed opinion! Do you have any experience with V10 as well?

I am still hesitating between V10 and B850 and trying to get a good deal to a 5090H (which still out od my range a bit)...

I have seen the V10 but only next to a Kuro, not the Samsungs or LGs. I do know though that the V10 is basically the G10 with the main poor aspects ironed out, the colours are much more accurate with the THX mode, this is the biggest gripe I have with the G10, the V10 also looks nicer and is slimmer, that's always nice :D

SD on the V10 is pretty much the same but just a little bit more watchable due to the more accurate picture, phosphor trailing is just as much of an issue but depends soley on how sensetive you are, I've seen it on a G10 when it was brand new, but I haven't seen any on the G10s or the V10s as soon as they've reached the 200 hour mark or so.

Overall the V10 isn't as good as the 5090, and the colour accuracy doesn't quite reach that of the LG or Pioneers (not sure about the Samsungs) but the differences are minor and I don't think I'd see the difference unless I was looking at the two side by side. In my opinion the V10 is the better set for the most part :thumbsup:

Richdog

The V10 is definatel better, but not worth the considerable extra outlay imo, as while the G10 colour accuracy may not be perfect, it's still damn good for 9/10 people, and for the price is just a killer set. It doesn't even look too bad once it's setup, and i'm a looks-whore. :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom