1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spent £2K plus on plasma - how much on audio??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samjet, Apr 15, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    many people have spent £2K plus on getting a good screen and getting it calibrated/scaler etc - but how much would you expect to spend on an audio system to give a quality on par with the screen??

i ask this because apart from a few exceptions i don't see many of you over on the amp/speaker/subs etc sections

to me it seems sacrilege to use one of the all in one systems when you have gone to expense of getting the best pq within reason :confused:

i am going to leave the dvd player out of the equation since i assume that its selection has gone hand in hand with the screen

now it may be me in that i have a 'history' with audio gear and am a relative newcomer to the plasma scene :D

looking at my own system i have spent £2K plus on the screen and dvd (dec 2004) but the audio side of things is considerably more - some has been bought secondhand through careful searching but if i was to price the whole set up as new (excluding cables at about £400) we are looking at about £3.5K

now i realise this may be beyond many peoples budget but it seems to me a reasonable amount in the overall scheme of things (although i'm still looking for a kef 200c centre at the right price!!)

incidentally the system is movie based sound only and scant attention has been paid to cd playback

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    well its a lot more than I spent on my amp and cd1 matie which to my ears sounds really good. But then I don't really have an 'audio history'.......and there was you moaning about £3 for some cable tidies :D you spent as much on cables as i did on the cd1 :)

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Interesting point. I don't think it is possible to generalize as everyone's setup is slightly different.
    Like you I have a "big" surround system which I use mainly for watching DVDs projected on to a 6ft screen.

When I am watching the plasma the sound is much less imposing - and we listen through the plasmas speakers to which I have added small subwoofer. This suits us, family friendly and less switches to turn on.
    Horses for courses I suppose

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheeky bu**er :D :D

i was not complaining about £3 cable ties just reckoned they were overpriced for what they were :D

ask lisa about the ones i made for her :D :D custom made as well!!

talking of audio - i went to collect some gear from a guy and his system made mine look like a boom box - did some quick calcs and stopped at £50K :eek:

saw a dvd player the other day at £20K plus!

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    £50K!!! sheesh!...sorry It's in my nature to be cheeky *lol*....and £20K for a dvd player....I wonder how much better they really are than say a £2k machine?

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i said stopped at £50K :eek: on reflection the real figure was probably closer to £100K but it did look and sound rather tasty :D

without doubt hifi can be the most expensive hobby around - my neighbour has his own plane (which is not cheap) but even he paled when i showed him some audio web sites :D

its not at all difficult to spend say £1K on a 1m interconnect - worth it :confused: all depends on the individual i suppose but this cable could if you wanted probably be picked up for less than half price when the owner does the next upgrade!

and have you ever priced your dvd collection - i'm new at it but got a bit of a shock the other day when i started cataloguing my collection :rolleyes:

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    For £100k i'd want to be able to live in it at weekends!

well i only have about 200 dvds so far......but I guess even that adds up pretty quick!

8. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yes 200 at average of £5 of these forums or £10+ on the high street - makes you think :D

that plasma was quite cheap on reflection :cool:

9. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    perhaps one or two of the pro installers would like to let us know what some of their upmarket installs have cost??

10. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Hi Fi did a feature on various price custom installations. I was surprised at the price of the Audio kit in comparison to the install price. Even the £65k install had relatively lowly electronics. Most of the money went on expensive Lutron/Crestron control systems. I suppose everyone has different priorities.

11. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about treefiddy

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    samjet,

In the course of doing ISF calibrations I get to see a lot of sound systems and even get to do HAA calibrations on some of them. More often than not customers have deliberately over-spent on the plasma and skimped on the audio side, often intending to upgrade audio when funds allow. equally, I have come across some fabulous sounding audio gear that makes my own set-up seem really feeble. I think my current record is one guy who had spent just over £200k on a stereo sound system!

Room size is probably even more of a factor when considering audio rather than video and certain customers who have had to negotiate very tactfully to be "allowed" a plasma find it a step too far to do the same with big speakers! I faced the same problem at home and the final (for the moment) solution here was a Denon 3805, Anthony Gallo Due centre, Anthony Gallo A'Divas front right and left and surrounds with a big Velodyne CHTR-15 well hidden out of sight.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I don't think you can say if you have spent X amount on video you need to spend X amount on audio.
    I have heard systems costing around £1500 for amp and speakers that I could more than hapily live with, and displays costing around a grand that I could also live with.
    But at the same time I have spent alot on my kit and love what it gives me, but could easily spend more on the audio side.
    The video side I would not change now regardless of money, I am simply blown away by both Hi-def stuff, scaled dvd and Sky and I have changed to a plasma from an 8" EM CRT.

I think it is easier to reach a stunning picture level at a price than it is to reach a stunning audio level.

14. iJeff

iJeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samjet (£400.00) on cables.. cough! cough!

What's that for 1000 metres of HD cable and repeaters :)

Seriously - (oxygen free, silver soldered and gold plated), can anyone really tell the difference between a £100.00 cable and a £20.00 cable? All peeps need to do is cable tidy away from power cables and adapters.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613

No, but I can tell the differece between 2 different cables, and it is not always the more expensive one that sounds better.

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    samjet

The cost of a Plasma Display is relatively high in most folks systems and goes against the usual rule of Source > Processing > Output as the preferred system hierarchy/spend.

In a 5m x 4m room most of our 'Home Theatre' customers who are wanting a 'balance' between the 'scale' of a 42" Display and the 'scale/impact' of the Sonics will more likely spend 3.5K+ on the DVD, AV Receiver, 5:1 loudspeaker system.

In the same 5m x 4m room our 'Lifestyle' customers will just as readily spend 5K on a 50" PlasmaTV and no more than 500.00 (300.00 if possible :) ) on an 'all-in-one' lifestyle DVD/Surround sound system.

Best regards

Joe

17. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In about a months time my 200c will be for sale if you're interested.