1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spendor speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by frankjb, Jan 18, 2004.

1. frankjb

frankjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder how many in this forum have had the opportunity to listen to speakers from a UK companyt called Spendor. Not easily found, but worrth looking out for.

For me, it all depends what is important to you. If you want excitement and fireworks, look elsewhere, (but prepared to get listener fatigue after a short while) but if you want absolutely faithfull (amazingly so) reproduction of treble and midrange - especially the human voice. look no further.

Me? I have a pair of original Spendor BC1's which I use for my HiFi sytsem. They image so well, I don't feel the need for suround sound. Just place you screen in the centre & away you go. These I still feel cannot be beat in this all important region by any speaker I have ever heard - and that is saying something. Some may think them a little large for the average modern room, but sound superb (to my ears anyway).

They both were and are used by the BBC to monitor & balance TV & radio transmissions.

Would be interested if anyone has demo'd or bought any of their range and how they now feel about them in their set up...

Frankjb

2. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a set of Spendor LS3/5A's. Fantastic imaging and clarity. Don't use them in the home cinema setup obviously due to their limited maximum output but for music they still amaze.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm in the market for new fronts, seriously looking at the B&W 703s but if I get the chance I'll give these a listen. From the website they don't look very impressive. Terrible way to judge speakers I know, I suppose I could just close my eyes :)

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    Have a pair of SP2/2, and my girl friends family were the orignal founders of the company.

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Did listen to pair of Floorstanding Spendors when auditioning for new speakers. Can't remember there model number though, as you say their sound was excellent only bettered I felt by the ProAc 1.5 Response which I finally ended up with.

Not sure if I remember correctly but arn't Spendors speaker cabinets made at the REL (subwoofer) factory in Sheffield. Either way they have a superb finish.

6. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad has a pair of spendor BC1's as his main speaker, brought them new in 1969! Still got reciept and they are serialed in the 700's. Also uses a linn mini speaker (same cab as the LS3/5a) for the rears. Sound damn good even after all these years.

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Love Spendors - first got into hifi after listening to my mate's dad's BC1's back in the early 80's.

Owned a pair of 2030's myself which were rather nice - would have bought the matching centre had it not been the size of a small television!

I did consider three S3's for my front soundstage but, surprisingly, Spendor wouldn't sell me a single one.

When I move to a bigger house and can have a dedicated "stereo" room then a pair of SP1/2's or SP2/3E's will be top of the list.

Matt.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Excellent range of very nice sounding speakers,a number of which I've been tempted to buy over the years,but never quite done....not a criticism of them,as they have a very nice smooth sound,well suited to music rather than AV.

9. frankjb

frankjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intersting replies then.

I suppose it all depends what you want out of your AV set up!

I am v. happy with my BC1's (& with Naim 250 amps, I feel I have no real need for a sub).

I just prefer quality over quantity I suppose. Which leaves me with not a lot as 5 BC1's would take up a lot of room, esp. as they are close field monitors......

Now who will be the first to make a 5.1 channel valve AV amp I wonder.......(the Yanks, don't tell me!)

Thanks for your replies. Just not sure how to compromise then..

Frankjb

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a pair of BC1 I use as a reference to compare other things b. They are a wonderful speaker with many strengths. Secondhand they are £80 to 200 pair. Mine were mint for £80.

Although I am a huge fan of BC1, LS3/5A and ESL there performance should tempered by a knowledge of what they can do and what they can't do across the board. None of these are all rounders and a full 5 or 7 channel surround setup will yield a substantial jump in quality for surround sound applications. Love them as I do but don't carried away. Modern speakers have come on leaps and bounds and is the component where the biggest gains are available to be got in the future (sorry flat earthers)

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    PL2 was developed on a valves system! 6SN7GT AND 6SL7GT 'Red' variants if memory serves me (5692s and 5691 for us anals!!).

I lived for years with a DD/ DTS system that had a significant valve content through buffers, pre and powers. Might set it up again in my anachrophile system, just here to wind people up :)

They are great fun but again, strengths and weaknesses......

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Definitely you'd expect the Yanks to come up with one first,but even Audio Research seem to be moving into solid-state for that,with a 150W modular Class T amp for their AV model.

The other big valve companies like Manley seem to have no such plans either....shame in a way,as a well designed valve amp can be very reliable,certainly the ones I've had have given no trouble.

13. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't forget that Copland make a 6 channel valve pre-amp for the multi channel fans.

Matt.

14. Waka

Waka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just lost a pair of Spendor BCIII's in a house fire.
    Nobody was hurt - but I'm still absolutely gutted!
    Apparently the SP100's are their modern equivalent.
    Has anyone heard these, or even seen a shop selling them?

Thanks and regards,
    W.

15. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Waka, I am not too sure about what price point or standard the Spendor's are that you lost but Moorgate are selling Spendor s6's for £900 - any good ?

16. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes I heard these wonderful speakers , absoloutley stonking sound,amazing,can't find enough superlatives to do them justice,heard them through a Copland cta valve amp,ahhhhh simply divine!!!!!!!

17. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Father used to have some BC1's & I followed suit (MAtt F is old buddy).

I can remember going into Bristol Galaxy Radio station & they were using these for reference in their Studios. Enough said :smashin:

If you want to be clinical about your listening, go elsewhere......if you want to listen to true music then Spendors are for you :rotfl:

18. frankjb

frankjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wakia, join the Spendor group on Yahoo groups - we can look out for one for you! - otherwise look on ebay or in the back of HIFI World & the like.

Good luck - difficult speakers to drive were the III's, but really good as a result!.

FrankJB