Spendor D7.2 Floorstanding Speaker Review & Comments

Hey @Ed Selley how would you compare D7.2 to PMC twenty5 23i?

Thanks

Hey @Ed Selley how would you compare D7.2 to PMC twenty5 23i?

Thanks

If you have the extra grand and you aren't in a very small room. The Spendor is the better speaker. The PMC is very good but the Spendor is exceptional.

How would you compare 7.2 to Kudos Super 20a? I have Naim Nova.

How would you compare 7.2 to Kudos Super 20a? I have Naim Nova.

Hold that thought as I have a freshly arrived pair of 20As.

Really interesting review Ed, thanks. I'm currently creating a shortlist to upgrade from KEF R5's and am now seriously considering these. Others I'm pondering on are the ATC SCM 40's, NEAT Ekstra, B&W 702 S2 and Acoustic Energy ae520's. I mainly listen to rock/pop/folk and am running an exposure 3010S2 D with Lindemann Limetree phono and Vertere DG-1. Any thoughts to narrow down my shortlist for demos? Cheers.

I've been researching floorstanding speakers around this price point for a friend recently. Way too many options out there, but great fun exploring.

I've got plenty of thoughts to help 'expand' your shortlist! Some key sets as below:

Dynaudio Evoke 30
PMC Twenty5 23i
ProAc Response d20r

I've been taken-in by the Spendor sound very much since my last personal speaker search and the A7's were my pick after quite a few demos at the £3k price point. Haven't heard the D7.2's yet, but if they're in any way a noticeable step up, they'd be right at the top of my shortlist.

But practical constraints often dictate in a living room too.

Enjoy the search.

I've been researching floorstanding speakers around this price point for a friend recently. Way too many options out there, but great fun exploring.

I've got plenty of thoughts to help 'expand' your shortlist! Some key sets as below:

Dynaudio Evoke 30
PMC Twenty5 23i
ProAc Response d20r

I've been taken-in by the Spendor sound very much since my last personal speaker search and the A7's were my pick after quite a few demos at the £3k price point. Haven't heard the D7.2's yet, but if they're in any way a noticeable step up, they'd be right at the top of my shortlist.

But practical constraints often dictate in a living room too.

Enjoy the search.
Thanks for that, I'll certainly check them out. I suppose I'm hoping to recreate the balance of the KEF's with 'abit more', - tight punchy bass but not overblown, highly musical and rolled off at the top end as I'm quite treble sensitive. My room is 17ft x 13ft with a 9.5ft vaulted ceiling so hoping its pretty accommodating for a range of floorstanders, though limited to max 2ft to rear of speaker.

Just had a listen to the Spendor D7.2 today. I ordered a pair straight away.
Most speakers don't do treble clarity without sharpness. The D7.2s do treble clarity without sharpness. Just clean yet rich... That's how they come across.

Just had a listen to the Spendor D7.2 today. I ordered a pair straight away.
Most speakers don't do treble clarity without sharpness. The D7.2s do treble clarity without sharpness. Just clean yet rich... That's how they come across.
When you say rich, do you mean clean across all frequencies but with a hint of warmness? Ive still yet to get to hear a demo with them but would also like to compare to acoustic energy ae520 which I’m also considering.

When you say rich, do you mean clean across all frequencies but with a hint of warmness? Ive still yet to get to hear a demo with them but would also like to compare to acoustic energy ae520 which I’m also considering.
Funny enough I had the Acoustic Energy AE509 on load for home demo and found the bass over powering for my room. 16 x 11 feet. Even so the bass of the AE509's was clean and deep. I suppose you must have a must bigger room to accommodate the AE520's.
As per the Spendor's D7.2's, they sound even across the whole frequency range. I mean very clean without any nasties. May be right word is... refined, and add to that taut tuneful bass. Just got a sense of real instruments playing. Must be said this was my experience at the shop, yet to try them at home.
They were driven by a Hegel H390.

Just got my Spendor's D7.2 speakers delivered today. Sound even better at home.
WOW... These speakers are just astonishing regardless of price, period.

Just got my Spendor's D7.2 speakers delivered today. Sound even better at home.
WOW... These speakers are just astonishing regardless of price, period.
Congrats😃
Do you have any idea how these compare to Spendor A7?
Only had mine for a year & love them, but my room size is about the same as yours & would be useful to know if ever I fancy changing them.

The D7.2 are a bit cleaner in the bass so I don't think you'd have any problems. Having said that my comparison of the A7 and D7.2 Was done in the shop. The D7.2's are cleaner and more refined sounding speakers.

Cheers. That's pretty much what I thought.
They have these at my local dealer, but I am resisting the temptation to listen to them because I know I would want them. 🤫

Cheers. That's pretty much what I thought.
They have these at my local dealer, but I am resisting the temptation to listen to them because I know I would want them. 🤫
Yep.. Once you listen you will want them.

@Paul7777x have you still got plans to visit Leeds & give these a listen?
Don't forget your credit card! 💳💷

Yes indeed.

Around the week before Xmas now though.

Seems I’ll need to do a spot of burglary along the way. Again.
Again😳
& you always sound like such an upstanding type of guy!!!

Out of interest, has anyone compared the D7.2's to Neat Orkestra's?

I have just placed an order for these speakers. I had a demo of them after hearing the A7s and I was really surprised by the difference between them. The D7.2 is a definite step up in every way and the A7 speakers are really good as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom