Spendor A7 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by exponential, May 20, 2019.

1. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Hi.

I'm trying to find out some information about these speakers but I'm not finding much online other than what the dealers websites are saying.
    I'm not saying I don't trust dealers but they're obviously going to rave about them...
    What hifi gave them 5/5 but again, what hifi tend to give everything a 5/5.

Are there any owners on here who can give me some advice on their "sound".

I'm 50/50 movies and music.
    I own Dali Opticon 6's at present that I'm considering selling in favour of the A7.

Any thoughts guys? :)

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
  3. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
  4. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    No actual owners on here at all?? :eek:

5. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    There may be 15 reviews but only 1 is related to the product I've asked about and a good few were in a foreign language.
    Don't feel so much of an idiot now... :D

6. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Sorry for misleading, just clicked the link for product reviews on the a7 product page, note to self - Read the words don’t just look at the pretty pictures :blush:

7. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    It's ok pal.

I must be honest and say that I had already seen that link you sent but didn't want to say anything as you had gone to the effort of finding it... :smashin:

I'm amazed that there is hardly anything out there about these speakers. o_O
    There's not even an owners thread or anything?

Of the very small handful of reviews out there, including a French review which, luckily, Google will translate, they do seem to be getting quite high praise.
    I know that speaker selection is highly subjective though so it's not going to be easy...

8. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Also, if I do decide to go for them, they will be paired with an Arcam SR250.
    If anyone does have any input, would the two be a good match?
    I consider the Arcam to be quite laid back compared to some amps I have had in my system.

9. Steve356

Steve356

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Not sure if this is going to help, but here goes.....

I run Spendor D7s as the front pair of my 5.1 system driven by an Arcam AVR850. I demoed several speakers at home when deciding and found the Spendors to be my preferred brand in my room. The A7s were not out when I bought mine over 2 years ago, but I did try the A6s, before settling on the D7s. Note that I did not use Dirac when testing as I wanted to hear the unmodified sound of the speaker/amp combination in my room.

I really liked the A6 for clarity of sound, dynamics and bass weight. At no time did they sound fatiguing and I really enjoyed playing stereo music (mostly CD) through them during the time I had them (nearly a week). Multi-channel on music and movie blu rays sounded equally as good.

From there I went to try the D7s as I had the opportunity to try them and I thought why not. I was sold the moment I tried them. They had everything that the A6 had, but more of it with greater authority and power. I still have them today and am still very happy with them.

The D7 uses the same port design as the A7 I think, so I doubt you would be unhappy. As long as you can get the back of the speaker at least 9 ins from the back wall and around 12 ins from the side walls, you should get a clean sound. If I have read correctly, I think the A7 took a lot of the D7 design, so should sound similar. Spendors are beautifully built too.

Hope this helps. :)

10. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Would love to hear more about this as well. The A4 gets raving reviews almost everywhere. Whathifi, Hifi Choice, Hi-FI+, Hifi News and Absolute sound I believe.
    You would have to find PDF's of the magazines online to download the full reviews.
    A7 should be even better than the A4 I think.

11. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Hi Steve.

That is definitely invaluable information mate. :smashin:
    Especially considering you're using an Arcam which has exactly the same class G amplification (albeit with more output capability).

Can I ask, how big is your room? My room is only 4.5 x 3.8. Is it carpeted?
    I'm led to believe that carpet alone can play a huge part in room acoustics.
    I have wood flooring but am planning on installing carpet in the near future.

I have looked with envy at the D7 but it is out of my price range unfortunately.
    My concern is going from the Dali which has multiple drivers to a more simple 2 way set up.
    As I've said, my Dali speakers are twin rear ported so, although I can set my speakers at the distance you suggest, it's still too close to the wall for the Dali's.
    I feel my Dali's need a good half metre clearance to allow them to breathe and I can't provide that.

Also, there is the law of diminishing returns... My Dali's are a £1200 speaker set.
    The A7 is £3200 new, will the sound be £2k more appreciable.... Probably not.
    I think the cost will be more about build quality and speaker design more than anything else!
    I must admit, there is something about the A7 that I've fallen in love with, they are a lovely looking set of speakers. :cool::)

I'm being told by a very good friend who is into audio in a big way to buy bookshelf speakers on stands because it would suit my room size more but, I just can't like the speaker stands.
    I much prefer floorstanders... :lesson:

12. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    I've read the same thing. The A4 is meant to be an awesome set of speakers for their size and have had rave reviews by all reviewers.
    They are priced more reasonably too.
    They don't share the same technology as the A7 though, the A7 has the "linear flow port" which allows for easier placement (apparently).
    The A4 has just a standard bass reflex port which is something I need to avoid.

I find it odd that these speakers are not spoken of more too mate. Always seems to be the same old brands being raved about....

KEF, Monitor Audio, Dali and the like....

13. Steve356

Steve356

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    My room is 6.45m x 3.54m with speakers firing down the long length of the room. I sit 4.8m away from them and they are 40cm from the back wall and 50cm from the side wall. Speakers are toed in so that front face is directly towards my seating position. I've found this to give the best sound after much experimentation. Room is fully carpeted. My understanding is that the A7 can be placed closer to walls (the D7 can too) without causing major issues. I simply found that image depth seemed best at the distances I have. All subjective of course. ;)

I was told by my dealer recently that he thinks the A7 is close in performance to the D7, but I have yet to give them a listen. You might want to drop an email to Mark Adamson at Harrow Audio, who is my dealer. Although located near London, they do mail order and it would be worth mentioning your predicament as they are also Dali dealers. Mark will give you an honest, unbiased, no BS view. It's one of the main reasons that I travel out of my way to go to him. This is the web site.... http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/en/

He may not be his usual rapid self at responding as his better half is about to give birth, but I'm sure he will respond as soon as he can and will help you.

Stand mounts are OK, especially with a subwoofer in place. Out of interest, while trying some different processors and stereo amps, I had Spendor A1s and M&K 950s in my room for a while. They didn't work at all and my D7s were far superior, which they should be given the difference in price. For further info, I use my D7s full range with no sub for stereo and set them small for use with a sub for cinema purposes.

I think I covered your questions, but feel free to ask more. Hope this helps.

EDIT: ATC might be another option as they are sealed designs and can be placed very close to a wall. Harrow Audio also do these, so again, Mark can advise the pros and cons. Also PMC, although I have to say, I don't like them personally.

14. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Ah, you have quite an enviable space to work with there don't you.
    It must be a good feeling knowing you've got you're speakers set up "just right" especially seen as though you have trialled other speakers and found the D7's to fit the bill nicely. :clap:

I'll message Mark as you have suggested to see what he has to say about them. :smashin:

I also use the same set up as you with music and movies but I use one of my subs to take over the low end duties for a true "full range" experience with music.
    I guess you don't need a sub for that as the D7's go nice n low. :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve, I appreciate it.

Mike.

15. Steve356

Steve356

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Thanks Mike and good luck with the search.

My D7s go down to around 23Hz in room and for the music I play the most, I don't need any lower. On the odd occasion, if I think it will help, it's easy enough to switch to run them as small and incorporate my M&K sub.

Feel free to reference my name when you talk with Mark. I don't get anything from it, nor want it, but it might add some context to your discussion as Mark also knows my room quite well as he delivered some of my trial stuff personally and also did my first Dirac calibration.

16. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Thanks again Steve. :thumbsup::hiya:

17. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you auditioned the Proac DT8 or any of the PMC Twenty(5) speakers by any chance? I am curious as to how you find them in comparison to the A7 or A4. Keep the thread alive for this speaker :-D

18. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Yeah, let's randomly just ask each other daft questions until it gets stickied by a mod. :laugh:

I've not heard of Proac, I'll do some research....

The PMC's...funny you should say that, I posted a question about those on the PMC owners thread.
    Wanted some sort of comparison and I didn't get a single reply...

Needless to say, I Haven't looked at them since..

19. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Proac's DT8's have been very high regarded as well and I believe were the speaker of the year 2018 in the category that the A4's won for 2017. What kind of music do you listen to mostly? Also, they are bottom ported as far as I remember so that might work for you.

20. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Ah.. That's very handy to know! I'll definitely start looking into the Proac stuff!
    My music tastes are very broad to be honest, everything from drum n bass to clasical and everything inbetween.
    I just like good music.... If its got a good beat and honest vocals, I'm there. :smashin:

Yeah, no more rear ports please! :cool:

21. Steve356

Steve356

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    I haven't heard Proac speakers for a long time and that was at a show. Can't recall being impressed at the time, but who knows what they might be like in a better location, e.g. your specific room and positioning.

As for PMCs, I did listen to a couple of Twenty5 options when auditioning and ended up with the Spendors. I really disliked the PMCs as I thought they sounded weak and too bright for my tastes. However, i didn't try them in my room as by then I was already moving towards the Spendors. Having since heard the PMCs in other rooms, I've yet to be impressed by them. Not my kind of sound I guess. A little bit surprising as I've always liked their really large speakers, even though they are as ugly as sin. ;)

Another possibility might be Dynaudios. Some of them can be OK when positioned nearer a back wall even though ported. Worth a listen perhaps.

Finally, might be worth asking DodgetheViper, who is one of the moderators on the Home Audio section, about his tower speakers. He loves them and gets great results with them only being 20cm from the back wall.

22. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I heard them as well and I really wanted to like them. However the bass went deep but the whole sound for me sounded dry and lean. Maybe it's because the bass is so fast that it doesn't create this full sounding rich sound that the Spendor seems to have. Not sure if this makes any sense but that was my feeling when I auditioned them.

I actually haven't heard the Proac's but read great things everywhere so might be worth to audition. I certainly want to go and hear them sometime soon.

23. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  24. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    My room size is only 4.5 x 3.8 give or take....

25. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    So I've looked at the ATC range and they're just too damn expensive!
    Gorgeous to look at but if the wife found out I had even considered buying these.... At 4k for the cheapest floorstanders, my nuts would be in a vice...:laugh:

I'm continually drawn to the A7.... The amphion 3LS also drew my attention but the wife doesn't like the look of it...

She likes the A7... She doesn't know the price though... :eek:
    The speakers have to be available in walnut to match our decor which rather limits our choices... :rolleyes:

26. Steve356

Steve356

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Dammit, I forgot how expensive the ATC floorstander was. Sorry Mike :blush:

Any Spendor dealers near you? More importantly, any that will let you do a home trial?

27. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    It's ok pal. I get where you're coming from though, we all need a reference point.. :smashin:

I've never considered a home trial but I'll certainly look into it... I'm in Manchester so there should surely be someone... :thumbsup:

28. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    These are getting rave reviews right now...

Bit left-field but they could be a valid option.
    I know they won't go low like a tower would but that's where the high-level input comes in with my BK400....

You can get a 30 day trial too... Albeit, you have to buy it first like.... Then return it hassle free if you don't like them... :smashin:

29. drieswal

drieswal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Which speakers are you referring to with "these"?

30. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Jesus....

Didn't post the link... :laugh::laugh::rotfl::rotfl:

S400 Smoked Oak