Spendor A2 floor standing speaker

Charles44

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on here use these small floor standing speakers and if they do what amplification is used with them. My specific question about them is positioning - does anyone use them say within 6 inches of a rear wall ?

Thanks

No experience of them, but that sizeable rear port suggests that it wouldn't be ideal.
Have you looked at the Neat Motive SX2? Downward firing port and pretty flexible, location wise, in my experience.

That said, maybe an A2 owner will say otherwise!

that sizeable rear port suggests that it wouldn't be ideal.
That really has nothing to do with it, in fact the larger the port the less likely the chuffing!

My speakers have a massive port and I have them 10 cm from the front wall (that's what REW gave me for my driver position) it works wonders!

Isn’t rear port and so on just myth. As long as you get the correct speaker for the room you’re good to go.

Does anyone on here use these small floor standing speakers and if they do what amplification is used with them. My specific question about them is positioning - does anyone use them say within 6 inches of a rear wall ?

Thanks
Depends on your room get on REW!

That really has nothing to do with it, in fact the larger the port the less likely the chuffing!

My speakers have a massive port and I have them 10 cm from the front wall (that's what REW gave me for my driver position) it works wonders!
Fair enough, but in my own experience when I had rear ported speakers, they sounded better with a bit of room to breath
However, as you say, the room will effect it as well.

Someday I need to download REW. Probably well take me 10 years to understand the “waterfalls”.

To OP, try the speakers then see. If you suffer from bass bloat then you need to move the speakers.

I assume this speakers are going to used in 4.3 meters room. It might work in near field in small room since the drivers are close to each other.

Picture of listing room would be helpful.

I haven’t listed to them myself. But I almost did buy them.

Unfortunately my room at the moment is too small.

Although the dealer tells me they work on small room. Doubtful in my opinion.

Room mode etc.

What is so special with Spendor and Neat? Particularly Neat. Sorry to OP for hi jacking the tread.

When I get larger living room I might invest in this speakers.

Fair enough, but in my own experience when I had rear ported speakers, they sounded better with a bit of room to breath
However, as you say, the room will effect it as well.
I had some front ported spekers that needed more 'air' than any rear ported speakers I have had.
Did you do an REW room sim for where your speakers were?
A modern problem is the depth they make speakers these days and the idea that it's the distance from front wall to rear of speaker that counts. the second is nonsense it's the distance from front wall to driver that counts and the problem with these silly thin deep speakers is you end up needing to position the back behind the wall for uptimum driver position.
A 40cm deep speaker with a 10cm clearance from the front wall means the driver is 50cm from the wall only leaving 30cm to play around with in a 'normal' room.

Isn’t rear port and so on just myth. As long as you get the correct speaker for the room you’re good to go.
i reckon so, the sound eminates from the driver. However the speaker volume + port creates a system as a whole that sets a resonace frequency hence a bass boost.
Where you place such a speaker depends entirely on the room. The response your going to get can be calculated/simulated and even manipulated with furnishings (bass traps or in my case book filled shelves have quite an effect).

What is so special with Spendor and Neat? Particularly Neat. Sorry to OP for hi jacking the tread.

When I get larger living room I might invest in this speakers.
They make well balanced speakers that don't fatigue, yet are quite lively. Very enjoyable to listen to over long periods and, for me anyway, a great balance between revealing enough whole still being fun. As a result, great recordings sound superb and poor ones are perfectly listenable.

No need for a large living room at the cheaper end of the range. Neat Motives SX3 and SX2 and Spendor A1 and A2 would all be fine in a smaller room. In fact, there can't be many floorstanders as well suited to a small to middling size room as the SX2.

The above is just my opinion, but from what I've read online, I don't think it's that out there.

No. Never used it to be honest.
I've still to get a mic and do frequency sweeps to verify the room sims however my ears tell me the room sim is well on target.
I 1st started playing with room sim back in around 2008, it was interesting however I didn't get to know it well. I have just started using it again, initially to see what adding a sub would do however realised that 2 speakers acted like a dual bass array.
Plugging in my speaker positions I found out they were cancelling each others bass response out (and considering my room I get a decent response down to 20Hz (from my bass reflex 40Hz at +/- 3dBs). Fiddleing around I found good locations for my speakers that kept my arrangement how I wanted. From what I hear it's how REW predicted. Bass is terrific 'sk8ter boy' goes right down like I had some PMCs or a sub.
So REW room sim is well worth a dabble.
I've still got nasty reflections though need to put some curtains up.

Here's what I get! RoomSimPredictionNikita3.jpgRoomArrangementNikita3.jpg

Last edited:
I've still to get a mic and do frequency sweeps to verify the room sims however my ears tell me the room sim is well on target.
I 1st started playing with room sim back in around 2008, it was interesting however I didn't get to know it well. I have just started using it again, initially to see what adding a sub would do however realised that 2 speakers acted like a dual bass array.
Plugging in my speaker positions I found out they were cancelling each others bass response ou (and considering my room I get a decent response down to 20Hz (from my bass reflex 40Hz at +/- 3dBs). Fiddleing around I found good locations for my speakers that kept my arrangement how I wanted. From what I hear it's how REW predicted. Bass is terrific 'sk8ter boy' goes right down like I had some PMCs or a sub.
So REW room sim is well worth a dabble.
I've still got nasty reflections though need to put some curtains up.

Here's what I get!View attachment 1810924View attachment 1810925
It does sound very useful. However, being a lazy got I just waited until I could afford a Lyngdorf and Room Perfect. I'm happy enough with the results not to go fiddling now.

It does sound very useful. However, being a lazy got I just waited until I could afford a Lyngdorf and Room Perfect. I'm happy enough with the results not to go fiddling now.
Still getting speaker placement correct reduces the work RP has to do hence your amp (particularly in the lower frequencies).
Sure it's a powerful tool yet surely noy 'perfect'. 😉

Hi Charles i agree with acgingersnaps about the nice sound quality of British made high end speakers and positioning them away from the wall to allow them to breathe. I have a pair of AE505 floor standing speakers about 2 feet from the wall and angled in slightly with a Rega elecit amp and the sound is of a full natural bass with clear midrange and a very sweet treble. Non fatiguing.
I tried them with a budget amp and it could not drive them. The rega io sounded good but also lacked power and the stereo image was limited.

someone i know who wanted a smooth sounding speaker has just bought the a2

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom