1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spend ratio of speakers to amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by whuuf, Oct 20, 2003.

1. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently moved into a new house and have been researching these forums for weeks now weighing up the pro's and cons of each item in a complete home cinema system and hopefully should be in the position to start purchasing some of it soon.

What I've found the hardest is not getting carried away with all this great technology thats out there and consequently having to keep reminding myself that I really have to keep to some kind of budget.

So I'm currently deciding between the panny pdw6 and a pioneer 434hde plasmas which is obviously the real wedge of my budget.

Speaker wise I'm pretty set on the jamo A410PDD 5.1 speaker set @ around £500.00 (they also got 5 stars in hifi choice october review). As I've managed to get girlfriend approval on these and seeing as she's already ruled out the kef eggs and these are the only things I need approval on I think I'm pretty happy in that respect.

So eventually I get to the AV amp and my question.
    Bearing in mind what I am paying for my speakers I imagine there is a maximum amount I need to spend on this amp as anything above would be rendered worthless on the quality of speakers.
    What kind of money would you guys normally spend on a AV amp compared with what you are spending on speakers.
    I know some people might say I'm gonna get a better amp in case I upgrade my speakers in a year or twos time but this won't be the case with me as I'll be keeping these speakers for at least 5 years I would think, epsecially as I havn't got the room for anything bigger.
    I was getting carried away looking at the pioneer I-link stuff yesterday but at a price of nearly £900 this is surely going to be wasted on the speakers isn't it?

The main thing I'm looking for in the amp is component switching and Dolby prologic II. Its going in a relatively small room so it doesn't need alot of power just good sound on music would be nice.

DVD player wise I'll probably be waiting untill january and then looking at whats available.

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amp technology is racing away at the moment and you don't have to spend a great deal to get a good performer. If £500 is the budget for your speakers I wouldn't spend any more than £300 on the amp. You can get a lot for this these days, check out the pioneer 812 which should give you all you need. I-link is of dubious benefit, essentially, all you're doing is replacing a 5.1 analogue connection with a digital connection and it is wrong to automatically assume that the amp's internal DACs are better than the DVD's DACs. There may be other features to I link which I am missing but as you have said yourself there really is no point in partnering a £900 amp with £500 speakers.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In most respects,I'd agree with what mike's said...the only reason really for you to spend a lot more on your receiver would be if you were going to upgrade the speakers at some point.

If you're as set on the speakers you've chosen as you think,then I wouldn't go much above the £350-450 mark....this still leaves you plenty of decent options from all of the major manufacturers.

Just be sure to try as many as possible,with the speakers you've chosen,before buying.

4. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input guys, I guess it really confirms what I was thinking. Maybe i'll leave a little room for upgrade incase some mind blowing sat set comes out, as usually does after you have spent your hard earned cash.

I was thinking of getting a demo on the pioneer as it seems to come highly recommended and maybe the sony db790 as well.

I have also been recommended the new Harmon Kardon amps by a friend but I have never heard one myself and you don't see them around too often so any opinion on these would also be appreciated.