Spend my money...

Interesting - I’ve also got the WXAD-10
Can you please summarise the advantages of the Airport Express over the Yamaha other than the above please.
Presently use Tidal, Spotify, BBC Sounds and my Amazon library via Airplay from an iPhone. Many thanks
As Nico says, Airplay 2 and its ability to add an external DAC where the benefits.

Airplay 2 has no quality improvement, but it can be grouped with other Airplay 2 devices. Also Airplay 2 can exist as a HomeKit entry, allowing me to bark orders at Siri! :D
I've recently added a HomePod mini and hooked in various things like Hue; HomeKit's a pretty decent aggregator to be fair and I hated the Alexa skills way of doing things.

I found I never used anything but my WXAD-10 with Airplay so it was a no-brainer. That said, I only did it because I found myself with a spare good DAC.

As Nico says, Airplay 2 and its ability to add an external DAC where the benefits.

Airplay 2 has no quality improvement, but it can be grouped with other Airplay 2 devices. Also Airplay 2 can exist as a HomeKit entry, allowing me to bark orders at Siri! :D
I've recently added a HomePod mini and hooked in various things like Hue; HomeKit's a pretty decent aggregator to be fair and I hated the Alexa skills way of doing things.

I found I never used anything but my WXAD-10 with Airplay so it was a no-brainer. That said, I only did it because I found myself with a spare good DAC.
My Airport Express arrived this week, definitely better than the Bluetooth which had to be in constant line of sight of the receiver so that’s good. Still contemplating the amp as I attached some Maudant Short MS30 speakers I had in the loft and both sounded muddled when playing faster music (eg Mr Brightside).

My Airport Express arrived this week, definitely better than the Bluetooth which had to be in constant line of sight of the receiver so that’s good. Still contemplating the amp as I attached some Maudant Short MS30 speakers I had in the loft and both sounded muddled when playing faster music (eg Mr Brightside).
Good to hear, at least puts that part of the equation to rest now, and allows any component upgrade to be warranted (speakers will still be the biggest upgrade component IMO).
Also I'm pretty sure the Killers is probably fairly poorly recorded! I'll have a listen later on my system as I haven't played it on there yet. i have however always thought the Rage Against the Machine album was decently recorded for fast music, have a listen to that.

Good to hear, at least puts that part of the equation to rest now, and allows any component upgrade to be warranted (speakers will still be the biggest upgrade component IMO).
Also I'm pretty sure the Killers is probably fairly poorly recorded! I'll have a listen later on my system as I haven't played it on there yet. i have however always thought the Rage Against the Machine album was decently recorded for fast music, have a listen to that.
Thank you. I’ll play the classic Killing in The Name when I get the lounge back from the tv mad family.
Update: I’ve just pulled the trigger on an amp (Rega Elicit-R ) which should arrive over the next couple of days. I will definitely look at changing the speakers as I seem to be going down a slightly more expensive road than I first imagined - I’m going to wait for the world to open up so I can audition a few pairs (and afford any!!!! )
I’m going to keep the Cambridge Audio cable until I find a decent offer of something on eBay.

Loving throwing tunes from Apple Music as I can balance the lounge hifi with HomePod in the kitchen for an immersive environment when I’m downstairs wandering about. So excited for the new amp!

The Rega gets a lot of love on here, but it's not a great measuring amp. It's distortion profile is in the audible range being predominately about -105dB, and it's a little rolled off at the top too, but probably not enough to hear that as it's 0.5dB by 20k.
It's got only 94dB dynicamic range which good enough for CD, but anything decently recorded in high res and it'll be lacking a bit. (Human hearing limit is about 120dB which is about 20bits)

All said and done, nothing beats the listening test of course. But I think it's a bit over priced for the results in my opinion.

Edit:
If you can try and see if you can get a Hegel H95 on test to compare.

It's the bench mark amp in my opinion at £1500.
Great measurements and universally praised on the KEF pages on Facebook.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom