Spencer Movie Review & Comments

GeorgeL78

Kristen Stewart really is the standout in my opinion. The portrayal of her mental health was brilliant and if she isn't in the running for an Oscar it will be a shame. One to definitely silence the haters (who should also watch Personal Shopper). However, I found the film could be tedious at times..its portrayal of the rest of the Royal Family felt deliberately boring and odd. Still a solid 4/5 but mainly based on her performance. And no I am not a Twilight fan.... 🤣

JohnnyMN

I've always felt since she nailed her performance as Joan Jett in the Runaways that she just needed the right material to shine. Thanks for the review Cas. Looking forward to this one.

Jessica Noir

In the Pablo Larraín cinematic universe of tragic 20th century females, I think Jackie was a richer portrait, but it doesn't stop Spencer being a terrific watch. While all the cast get a chance to shine (great to see Sean Harris play a normal person for once and Timothy Spall monologue about his experience on the Falls Road was one for the ages), Kristen Stewart disappears into role and has rarely been better.

There was some moments where I thought it tipped into heavy-handed symbolism, but after reading an interview with Steven Knight most of that stuff was factually correct.

nufcfan1

Yes watched this last night. Superb performance by Stewart who also impressed me in personal shopper as mentioned in an earlier thread post. The movie itself has quite a cold disconnected feel probably to reinforce the position of the main character, but means the character interactions are not that interesting (apart from with the sons in a few scenes). I enjoyed it for the main performance, but i don't think I will repeat watch as I didn't feel totally engaged throughout the movie.

7/10

Tim2049

Is this the film where we find out that Kristen Stewart is actually capable of more than one facial expression...(?) I'll wait with baited breath...

richp007

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas, I've seen this getting some serious plaudits the last few days.

Admittedly not normally the type of film I'd be drawn to, however I will definitely be checking it out.

Stewart sounds like a shoe-in for an Oscar nod as well. In fact I think Kermode will be going on the rampage if she isn't.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas, I've seen this getting some serious plaudits the last few days.

Admittedly not normally the type of film I'd be drawn to, however I will definitely be checking it out.

Stewart sounds like a shoe-in for an Oscar nod as well. In fact I think Kermode will be going on the rampage if she isn't.

I'm almost certain she'll be at least nominated.

Vega5000

How was her accent for you guys?
I'm not a Brit so hard for me to tell.
I did have trouble understanding her at times, which is not the case when watching other British films and TV.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I did have trouble understanding her at times, which is not the case when watching other British films and TV.

Yes, I think it's very quiet, but absolutely spot on, and completely reflective of the 'lost voice' that she essentially was.

PlexShaw

I thought her accent was excellent TBH. She is easily the best aspect of the film (the rest was somewhat average IMO).

However, it gets bonus points for its accurate depiction of the cathartic healing powers of...
a KFC Mega Bucket.

Last edited:

Markonesmile

This gets my vote for the most overrated film of the year, and I really liked Jackie so its not as if I wasn't primed for it. I though it incredibly pretentious and frankly tedious.

james03

Watched this a few nights ago, it won’t be for everyone, more a portrait of a lost soul.
Thought the cast and direction was spot on, particularly Stewart who had her portrayal of Diana captured perfectly.

I could have happily zoned out though and just listened to Jonny Greenwood’s score, the Radiohead genius is fast becoming my favourite composer.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom