Spelling and Grammar do count, says employers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mjn, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,023
  2. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Couldn't agree more...

It's not whether or not people can spell, per se, it's whether or not thay can be bothered to construct a CV with no spelling mistakes or glaring grammatical errors. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get someone to read stuff like that through and make sure you don't look silly.

The number of CVs I've turned away just because they read like a 7 year-old's homework is ridiculous, and they all have A levels and degrees on there!

(P.S. I fully realise that by posting in a thread about spelling, I've instantly opened myself up to abuse about spelling mistakes in my reply, so fire away :suicide: )

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Just look how much business is done purely by Email these days!

A telephone hides your education/intelligence behind your regional accent, whereas Email treats everybody just the same.

Poor spelling and grammar (in business) is essentially the same thing as coming from Hull. :devil:

4. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I blame mobile phone texting for the way standards have slipped, especially in the last couple of years. Few use full sentences, or even complete words these days, so punctuation and grammar have become more or less irrelevant.
    Let's assume the mistakes which appear on these forums are just typos...please?
    ( Just read this back before posting and found 5 mistakes).

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I run my own business, and if I were to be hiring a new employee, I would demand a hand-written letter to accompany the CV, no matter how professional the CV looked. I would also have some sort of handwritten test as part of the interview. Handwriting is a communications skill.

6. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,975
    Just read this article in today's Times, online here:
    For the perfect CV, make it clear that you have learnt how to spell

As with other threads... I blame both the dumbing down of secondary education and parents. Dyslexia aside, it is not difficult for parents to teach their children to spell, both pre-school, and alongside their formal educational development.

Doesn't surprise me that most of these parents are the Loadsamoney generation (C2 demographic of Tory voting manual workers).

7. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Damn I'm not going to be getting a job working for you...

This is something that I have always struggled with, no matter how hard I've tried, it's a definite handicap, especially when I'm required to fill out an application by hand.

There's a whole generation of us who have grown up with computers who find hand writing things a slow and painful process.

What happened to the paperless office?

The fact that someone with beautiful copperplate may get the job, then you find out later on that they can only type using one finger while looking at the keyboard, seem to be a far greater handicap to actual productivity.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting perfect handwriting and spelling - it's just that if someone is going to leave a post-it note reminder (which could be important), I prefer not to have to call in an expert in hieroglyphics to see what it says.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Spelling and grammar do count, say employers"?!

Pooch

10. gareth_lewis2

gareth_lewis2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot believe that the BBC actually had to write this.

When did it ever become unnecessary for a job to require spelling or some adequate grammar?

Looks like the BBC is becoming the UK version of CNN, where they have such amazing exposes as, 'Large houses cost more to heat'.

11. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I agree that spelling and grammer are important, but am not so sure about handwriting.

A pen is just a tool, and a pc or word processor is just a better one for doing the same job.

When pens were first invented I wonder if employers bemoaned the passing of old skills and insisted that handwritten cv's on paper were accompanied by a covering tablet carved in stone?

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,023
    Not really. You go for an interview, or start a new job, they ask you to fill out a form or two, you can't really use a PC for this, you have to use your hand writing skills.

You NEED hand writing skills everyday of your life.

13. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    If there's one thing I can't stand it's text-speak, and my generation (16-25) are the worst for it. I talk, e-mail and text the same way - no surprises for anyone that way.

Wasn't there an article in the Metro this morning where an employee in Wales was given the sack with a text stating "U R FIRED"? The justification was that they have a young workforce who regularly use SMS and that they were simply keeping up with the times?! Unreal...

14. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Fair enough, but it's only a matter of time. I can't remeber the last time I had to hand write anything that someone else would look at. Any forms I've had to complete are usually done by people asking me a few questions while they type them onto an electronic form.

I guess for now it's has it's uses, but's days are numbered. With pin numbers and biometric security, even signatures are becoming redundant.

15. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,975
    not exactly written in txt spk but tactless and impersonal nevertheless, timesonline link here:
    Sacking by text is just part of youth culture, says boss

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,023
    Having to use hand writing will never die! Just think about it. Like, when you take a phone message for somebody? Make your shopping list? Write a birthday card?

Do i need to go on?

17. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Phone messages? Where've you been? No-one shares phones anymore, everyone has their own phone, with their own number, with voicemail and text messaging.

Shopping lists will disappear with bar code (or whatever) reading fridges and cupboards, automatically generating a list. What's missed out will be done on line.

Birthday cards will also move with the times and will either be online or personalised instead with voice recorded messages and greetings rather than handwritten notes.

It may not all happen overnight, but will happen eventually.

18. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,023
    Dude, you're living in dreamland. :lease: There will not come a time, when you will no longer need to write.

19. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Dinosaur:D

20. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    No, it won't.

Tangible items will always have a greater worth than ephemeral electrons.

21. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    ok, so continue this conversation by letter sent by snail mail then :D

i look forward to your reply in 2 days...heh

seriously tho, although i can type very fast and when i can be bothered used perfect spelling and grammar, due to arthritic linked complaint i actually struggle to sign my name correctly, nevermind write a full letter...lol...that would be excruciatingly painful.....and i am not kidding!

at work i dont use paper at all, i use my computer for everything, all the forms i fill out are on the computer, whether work based or HR related....

i appreciate some firms may still be in the stone age and want handwritten bits and bobs, but their contributing to green house effect by needing lots of paper is a waste of resources :nono:

(hehe, ok i'm well aware a computer uses electricity which isnt always provided cleanly either.....however eventually electricity can be provided cleanly whereas paper cant...its treeeeeeeees man.....hug em dont cut em......renewable forests dont work out the same, oh and forget recycling, lol, far more paper is wasted than can ever be recycled due to the loss in quantity during the process...)

ok, psuedo-bored-at-work-rant over...heh

22. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    A good tip for people that suffer from bad handwriting (like me) is to use a ruler as they write. Of course it keeps the writing in a straight line, but for some reason it actually seems to improve the writing generally, well it does for me anyway.

I agree that handwriting is important, particularly when you're trying to impress a potential new employer. I think it is because people automatically link it with intelligence. Rightly or wrongly if you see scruffy/bad/childish handwriting, you tend to assume that the person responsible is a bit thick.

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,023
    So very true.