Speedway to be shown in HD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mitchec1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mitchec1

mitchec1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Sky Sports will show the British Speedway Grand Prix in full high definition, live, on Saturday 28th June at 7pm, from Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

It's the first speedway event to be broadcast in high definition on Sky, and will be shown on Sky Sports 1.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12269_3673631,00.html

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Excellent, I don't watch a lot of speedway but it's a sport I can switch on and watch and finally something you would expect would not be overly complex to produce in HD gets the HD treatment.
    I've read it's been a lighting issues at the normal tracks, no problem with that at the Millennium.

3. diesel_y2j

diesel_y2j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great stuff, the first time Sky will broadcast speedway in HD and... I'll be in the stadium so won't be able to watch it anyway!:rolleyes:

I suppose I'll Sky+ it to have a look what its like.

4. tristan2

tristan2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    its about time they shown DARTS:smashin:

5. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    This is excellent news and should have been done a while ago, but looking at the future schedule it does look like the weekly elite league racing is to continue to be in SD which is very disapointing ,credit for them doing the GP in HD but I would prefer that to commit to the regular league racinf and doing the world cup.:)

6. mitchec1

mitchec1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Not just darts, there's Rugby League and other sports they could show in HD but don't.

Where the can show it HD they should

7. KenjohnB

KenjohnB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    There's no reason why they can't do National League Rugby League - they do Super League, so I think it is choice not to show it in HD - God knows why!

I'm convinced they advertised (either via TV advert or Sky Mag) prior to the start of the RL season that the National League would be shown in HD. I e-mailed them to this effect and was asked to tell them exactly the date, time and channel that the advert was shown! Oh yeah, months later!

Ken

8. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Looking forward to seeing the results of the speedway. Hopefully sky will do it justice.

As for darts, Phil Taylor was on Socder AM earlier in the season and said that darts would be going HD in the near future, So I reckon the World Champs at the end of the year will be the first time. I'd imagine lighting could be a problem though with the players.

9. gilesy

gilesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm also excited and cant wait to see how this comes out, being such a colourful sport and such a great atmosphere from past GP's I think it will be superb:D.

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Have to confess, I'm not a speedway fan.

Always on the look out for more HD content though, so I'll watch this. I also enjoyed the one Nascar race in HD that was shown earlier this year, another sport I struggle to get into.

Could someone bump this as a reminder nearer the time please?

Cheers.

11. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    This is being filmed by Arqiva who do the regular speedway in SD but they also do the Championship football for Sky which has very impressive picture quality so I expect this to be very impressive and perhaps if Sky get some positive emails from customers they may look at getting the league racing in HD as well next year.

The contract for the Elite League is up in October and im sure Setanta will be bidding for this so perhaps Skys offer of HD coverage will swing it their way but then again the club owners will most likelt go for the one that offers the most money.

12. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not a sport I'd watch normally but it's good to see more HD. I think it's only a matter of time before all sport is broadcast in HD by Sky. Contrast that with BBC not even covering the Open Golf in HD!

13. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,188
    Really excited about this HD coverage of speedway from Cardiff - should look and sound amazing. The normal PQ is pretty good anyway on Sky Sports 1 so I am being prepared to be blown away on June 28th.

I am a speedway fan and Sky's coverage has been a massive shot in the arm for the sport - would be gutted if it went to Setanta. The Elite League is sponsored by Sky and their coverage regularly involves several ex-riders who provide great commentary and insight into the sport, some of which you would never see as a paying customer.

Last year, Chris Harris became the first rider to win the British GP at Cardiff - what an atmosphere. Definitely worth Sky+ ing whether you loved speedway or not.

Failing a British winner (either Chris Harris or Scott Nicholls) then look out for my team's captain, Jason Crump, an Australian who rides for Belle Vue, Manchester ..... anyone but Nicki Pedersen - boo! the current World Champion from Denmark .....

14. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Well, that was excellent. Full marks to Sky/Arqiva for finally giving us HD for Speedway. A few glitches here and there, but overall, excellent coverage. And a great race meeting as well (despite the ref!).

And we get the UK round of the world cup in HD as well in July :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  15. gilesy

gilesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep great advert for the sport, Now for the world team cup.

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not a speedway fan, in fact this was the first time I've watched more than one race at an event.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought it looked great and the presentation both inside the stadium (different tunes for each victor etc) and on Sky itself was superb.

It's still not something I'd watch in SD, but I would definitely dip in and out were it to be regularly broadcast in HD.

With that in mind the next race meeting in HD is Round Two of the World Cup which is held here in GB.

14th July, 19:30 on SSHD1 I think they said.

A couple of comments on last night. Performance of the night for me had to be Chris "Bomber" Harris who despite injuring his neck and his knee whilst also breaking in nose all in one race limped back to the pits and went out there to do it all again !!!!

Also what's the deal with the winner Crump? Born in Bristol but races for Australia. Did he move over there as a young kid or something?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  17. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Dads aussie an he doesn't want to ride for Britain, thats just another reason to hate him:). Nichols or Harris should have won, I would have liked Hancock to win at the end though.

18. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    So he's never lived in Australia as a child, giving him some reason to adopt the country?

19. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Crumpy comes from a long line of Aussie speedway riders, including his grandfather Neil Street and father Phil. The first major title he won was Australian Under 16 champion. He has Australian nationality status.

Like most speedway riders, he rides for several clubs - currently Belle Vue Aces, WTS Wrocław (Poland), Elit Vetlanda (Sweden).

As a former Poole Pirates fan, I was cheering on Scottie Nichols. But Crumpy has been on form the last couple of weeks, and deserved the win.

Looking forward to the world team cup at Coventry. This should finally prove whether HD is viable at a normal club track, and so could pave the way for more HD coverage of the elite league.

And for anyone who doesn't normally follow speedway. The Grand Prix is very much an individual event, with each rider fighting for their own points. Normal team events (eg the Elite league) are just that, team races. With the two riders from a team in each race racing as a team, so even more exciting (IMHO).

20. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,188
    You can't hate Jason Crump.

Belle Vue's number one and I called it earlier in this thread. I was really delighted to see him win, made even sweeter when Pedersen ended up on his backside in the final.

Great work by Sky, superb in HD with almost 45,000 fans inside the stadium.

Nice one Sky and nice one Crumpie!!

21. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well I was very impressed by the British GP I was at Cardiff but have just watched the recording I made of the Speedway in HD.

It was very impressive and you could tell the difference between SD and HD although the HD close ups of Chris Harris face was a bit too good:rolleyes:
    but well done for Sky for finally broadcasting Speedway in HD and also for showing the World Team cup from Coventry in HD:)

I was talling to some of the guys from Arqiva and they were excited about the new Super super Slo mo they used last night which showed some moves off really well and gave those images a filmic look, I know they had a couple of problems with the RF cameras due to the nature of the pits being under the stands but they soon found the black spots and avoided them

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008