Speeds between 360 and Wireless PC

noots

Novice Member
Hello all,

need some tips/help on playing a 720p file from my PC upstairs on the 360 downstairs.

The PC uses a WG311T wireless adapter and the MP4 file is in a folder that the Media Player scans. The actual problem is that I assume due to the size/quality of the file, it will stop/start about every 10 seconds making it unwatchable.

Other movies I've had are divx or wmv and haven't really had any issues, first time it's been a 4gb 720p mp4, it was a .x264 and I converted to the 360 compatible format using gotsent.

Is it simply a case of it being wireless and it's too large to handle and it would need to be wired, however is there anything I can do to get around this?

Someone else must have played a high quality file without getting this issue, no?

jayr6666

Novice Member
Hello all,

need some tips/help on playing a 720p file from my PC upstairs on the 360 downstairs.

The PC uses a WG311T wireless adapter and the MP4 file is in a folder that the Media Player scans. The actual problem is that I assume due to the size/quality of the file, it will stop/start about every 10 seconds making it unwatchable.

Other movies I've had are divx or wmv and haven't really had any issues, first time it's been a 4gb 720p mp4, it was a .x264 and I converted to the 360 compatible format using gotsent.

Is it simply a case of it being wireless and it's too large to handle and it would need to be wired, however is there anything I can do to get around this?

Someone else must have played a high quality file without getting this issue, no?
i can't give you any help,noots,but maybe you couldhelp me with the conversion using gotsent?I've tried to convert a 720p copy of tranformers but it didnt work,what do you set the output to on gotsent?
hang on a sec,i might be able to help.Is your wireless modem/router an external aerial type?if so then(this is going to sound daft but ....)what mbps are you getting on your pc?get an empty coke can and cut it in half legnthways,punch a hole in one end the size of your routers aerial and paint the outside black and slide it over the aerial of your router.now do the same for the aerial of your wireless adaptor and hey presto!!!!i know this sounds stupid but it works,my wireless speed has gone from 11mbps to a steady 54mbps.just search for "cantenna" on youtube,theres a short video that should help.and also theres a website called "instructables" that will help you.can you help with gotsent?cheers

noots

Novice Member
Well I'll certainly try that, also stupid question, but how would I find the speeds I am getting like you said it was 11mbps and now 54.

With gotsent, I started off with x.264 720p file, I wasn't sure which codecs I had and the guide I had said to install an AC3 and Matrotska filter/codec. Tried to convert with the codecs and gave me an error, installed the required codecs and it converted without any problems to an MP4 file.

I will run it again tonight and check the output for you.

y2k

Novice Member
It might be the program that you are using to convert the file or the way you are doing it, I had a few films that wouldnt play on the xbox so I converted them to DivX with winavi they played back ok on my pc but when I streamed to the xbox they were going in slow motion sometimes and pausing, so then I encoded them to wmv8 with the same program they worked ok on my pc again but where bad again on the xbox so then I encoded it to wmv9 with the same program and it works on the pc and is good when streamed to the xbox to. I have noticed no loss of quality with wmv9 and almost all the time the wmv9 are smaller is size.

jayr6666

Novice Member
Well I'll certainly try that, also stupid question, but how would I find the speeds I am getting like you said it was 11mbps and now 54.

With gotsent, I started off with x.264 720p file, I wasn't sure which codecs I had and the guide I had said to install an AC3 and Matrotska filter/codec. Tried to convert with the codecs and gave me an error, installed the required codecs and it converted without any problems to an MP4 file.

I will run it again tonight and check the output for you.
my wireless adaptor has a little window in the task bar that lets you know the speed,also when you're connected wirelessly there should be a little computer symbol in the task bar(bottom right of your pc screen)just hover your cursor over that and it will pop up.failing that goto device manager and select network adaptors and then properties(i think)that should give you all the info you need.how far is your pc from your wirelees router and what instuctions are there?

noots

Novice Member
Thanks for the tips, will try winavi and try converting to wmv instead and see if that makes a difference. Could be that the 360 is better at handling wmv rather than mp4.

Checked out instructables, downloaded the antenna template which i'll try, cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom