Speedpod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johnaalex, Mar 28, 2006.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    This is a service available at Selfridges in London for people who cannot be bothered (or do not know how) to rip their CDs themselves to their MP3 player.

For more info see http://www.speedpod.com/

They also offer a service to rip LPs at £10 an album plus an optional £5 to reduce/remove hiss and crackles. This is not done in the store, but via mail address in Shepherds Bush (41 Hansard Mews, W14 8BI). I am going to try this service later this week.

Regards

John

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Interesting stuff. I wonder why people would want rid of hiss and crackles though - isn't that one of the quirks of analogue sound?

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If it includes return postage that's a good price. Do they do individual tracks or just per side? Either way recording to hard drive and fiddling with the sound in a wave editor takes time. I've done it a few times, the results can be very good though.

Just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep copies, and if the'ye already done your LP already you may not get quite what you sent them. :)

4. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Speedpod are clearly having a few teething problems. As I live near Hansard Mews I decided to take two LPs to them to try out their service. When I got there it was clear that the highest number was 14. So I phoned the Speedpod counter at Selfridges to confirm the address - "yes, it is definitely 41." When I asked for a phone number they hesitated before giving me the mobile for the boss. It turns out that the address is 4 Hansard Mews. Having said that the person who does the transfer was not there and the two guys who were there had little idea what I was talking about. Luckily the boss (Christina) returned my call when I was talking to them and we agreed that if I left my LPs she would sort everything out and have it done by the end of the week:rolleyes:

Regards

John

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Wow this does sound like a new business venture doesn't it! I wonder how they have geared up for it? I don't know of any way of "ripping" LPs faster than you can play them (I suppose you could play a 33rpm at 45 or even faster and try slowing it in the digital domain, would need some reliable s/w to do it though) hence you need at least half a dozen decent decks set up and a way to digitally record them.

The fading in/out is a fine art and should be done manually if it's to be done right. Ditto making individual tracks out of a whole side. De-popping etc is just a run through an appropriate filter.

Must admit unless they've geared up for some serious throughput I don't know how they'll make it pay.

6. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    I should get the MP3s and LPs back on Monday. Methinks they have some way to go to make this service viable.

Regards

John

7. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have copied all my old LPs to MP3 (and CD) using Audacity to record and The Godfather to tag and, although I agree it is a slow process, I thought it was well worth the effort. Recording is slow (I stuck to 33rpm) but at least you can do other things while it's going on. Splitting the recording into individual tracks and then tagging them all is actually the time consuming part. I didn't bother removing the hiss and crackle - it didn't seem worth the effort IMO.
    Overall, a good exercise and I learnt a lot (not least to earth the computer chassis and turntable together). I'm not sure I'd have been prepared to pay the prices quoted though.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I didn't have to do that for the few I've done. Main point of learning for me was not to overcook the recording levels, best to slightly under-record and normalise later than overcook and have to deal with slight distortion.